Work at Travelers Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Travelers Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Travelers Insurance

From Hartford, CT — 02/20/2010

I love working for Travelers! We should ALL feel lucky we have a job in this ecomony.
So you work hard and then PLAY hard.

From In The Field — 02/17/2010

Pay relative to market is very strong. Respect is very high if one earns it, it is a two way street you have to show it as well. Benefits are remarkable - a company that still offers a pension - not too common these days. Job security is tough - expectations are high and they only want the best of the best - synch's up well with their pay and benefit package. Work life balance goes hand and hand with security - extra time is needed to meet expectations. Career potential is solid - opportunities are out there for the taking. Work environment is not that great - expectations continue to rise - still doable, but capacity is being reached.

From USA — 02/14/2010

Missed in all the belly aching. There is no company better to work for if you are an active member of the armed forces. The benefits are excellent and the support is amazing. Keep that in mind as you "worry" about your claims work load.

From Franklin, TN — 11/23/2009

Good pay but sometmes its not worth the stress

From CA — 11/13/2009

Travelers is probably in the middle of the industry for pay. Lower then some, higher then others. I think when compared with our direct competitors in the commercial arena, we're lower by at least 10% and more likely 20%. I'm a current employee. I think our current management is completely out of touch with the very low morale in the field. Upper management demands more and more and instead of treating employees well, and keeps adding to employee responsibility. There have been no anonymous surveys lately, asking what the employees think of the way the management is running the company. They clearly don't care. Benefits are good and it's a good place to be if you have a family and need the benefits a large corporation can provide.

From United States of America — 08/06/2009

I have been in claims for 25 years.

I have worked for three of their competitors and my comments reflect how Travelers compares to the rest.

Pay: better than average

Respect: better than average

Benefits: better than average and more affordable than average

Job Security: very good if you do your job well

Work/Life Balance: not very good, but you will not find a job in claims that it is good

Career Potential/Grown: excellent for performers

Location: average (field people work from home, and I happen to like that)

Co-worker Competence: better than average due to many tenured employees (unlike the churn and burn from many competitors)

Work Environment: better than average (average, meaning "the norm" is nothing to be proud of in this industry)

The Travelers is an outstanding company. Too many former Progressive recruits have messed things up in some areas of the country. There have been some very talented Progressive folks brought under the umbrella, but also some big mistakes. They tend to care more about metrics than customers or employees. Numbers are important, but not everything. There are a lot of seasoned and sound people in leadership positions that recognize this. There are some areas where the leadership roles are occupied by number crunchers that a terrible with people. Hang in there and they will move on one way or another. They always do.

There has been a change in culture over the last three to five years and the adjustment has not been easy for some. The changes are mostly positive. Travelers is being operated more like a business rather than a good old boys club. In this new culture results will be rewarded far more than effort or tenure. That method of operation is necessary for a business to remain competitive and profitable. If I owned my own business, I would run it that way. That still leaves still plenty of room for valuing employee faithfulness and long term service. The main difference is, people that perform and deliver the best results will end up earning more than those who have worked here longer. Some people feel they are entitled to earn more based on tenure. The bottom line is if they continue doing a good job, they will have a secure position for as long as they want it... They just might not earn as much as a top performer. To me, that makes perfect sense. It all boils down to what a person wants in their career.

Even top performers will eventually grow weary and slow their pace. Another new guy (or gal) with lots of energy will come along and give them a run for their money. Such is life. Itís not the end of the world.

I can attest from past experience that it would not take very long for a tenured Travelers employee that thinks the grass could be greener elsewhere to wake up and realize how good things were. You would regret leaving if you worked six months for Allstate, Progressive, or GEICO. State Farm was a great company to work for, but zero opportunities for advancement. Only minorities, women, and people with relatives in high places get promoted there. Promotions are not based on skill, performance, or experience. Even people that work there will tell you that, while they like their job, nepotism and affirmative action reign supreme. Many are resigned to the fact they will be doing the same thing until retirement. And, there's nothing wrong with that if it makes them happy.

One thing you can count on in any well managed business in this day and age is that satisfaction with the status quo and producing bad or mediocre results is a career killer. It will kill you no matter what your title is or how big your paycheck is.

We've all heard the cliche, "America. Love it or leave it" many times. Look at your job that way, no matter where you work, and you will live a happier life. People don't leave bad jobs. They leave bad bosses.

From CA — 05/31/2009

Travelers is a very well run insurance company with excellent benefits and pay with some of the most talented and gifted employees I have ever worked with in my 25+ year career in the business. The downside to all of this is their Stalin-like, bureaucratic management in that they treat employees poorly and use intimidation and scare tactics to get employees to make their numbers. Employees are routinely expected to work nights, weekends and even vacations to keep on top of a already heavy workload.

From New York — 05/20/2009

Pay and benefits are good. The work load has become unmanageable. There is no concern from management for employees only for numbers. Employee illness is up and stress is very high. The job is having a major impact on family life and health.

From St. Paul, MN — 04/20/2009

If you are smart, work hard and have a flexible style you can do well financially at Travelers.

From Texas — 02/28/2009

I unlike many of my co workers actually have worked for other insurance companies, so I can say that Travelers does pay well, or at least better than most! I get respect, because I give respect. Period!! In regards to benefits, they are standard which is good. I mean this company, while most others are doing lay offs; Travelers gives a large cross section of it's employees extra money into their 401K. So yes this company does care! Come to work, do the job that you were hired to do for the pay "you" agreed upon and you will have job security!!! Work/life balance? Look I work in claims, I accept the fact that this is a hard job that sometimes interferes with my personal life, if I could not handle it I would be a teacher, and have my summers off. Growth potential, yes it does exist! But first your local service center has to grow, and that is slow right now. Obviously I am not from the millenial generation, I expect to work several years at a high level before I push my agenda of advancement. WAKE UP!! KIDS!! I AM TALKING TO YOU! I say these things because I am a proud employee who works with tremendous peers and management staff. Like any place there are some out there who feel hurt, or neglected. Honestly, they should resign as their poor attitude is the poison that inflicts it self on the rest of us who care. I have my good days and bad days, but over all I love showing up to work knowing that most of my peers and all of the management want us to succeed! Love ya H-town !!!! Haters leave us alone and resign!