Working at Travelers Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Travelers Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Travelers Insurance

From Chicago Bears — 10/08/2010

What can I say. The past 23 years have been excellent. Travelers is a great place to work from my perspective. There are not many insurance companies that are a good place to work. I have friends that work for several different companies. They all expect a lot. We live in a day and age where you have to produce superior results and rarely make mistakes just to be a "meets" employee. There are a lot of very nice and smart people that can't or won't do that on a daily basis. There's not much room for average any more, but I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing.

From San Mateo, CA — 10/01/2010

After working for other insurance carriers, I can definitely say that this is the most professional and well balanced place to work. People are serious about working hard and smart and expect a positive and ethical delivery. I'm grateful to be part of this family and am impressed by their business practices and overall model. I hope to stay with Travelers the rest of my career.

From danver ma — 09/04/2010

There are so many things wrong with this company; it will take several pages to list them all. Let's get this straight. There is no such thing as Secure, Respected and Cared for. This is especially true with the employees. It is only a slogan! This company should be hit with a class action lawsuit some day for their treatment of their employees. There is a HUGE amount of favoritism! I really hope something changes or a class action suit should happens (ASAP), because there is entirely too much unfairness in this company as well as inconsistencies depending if you are a favorite. As others have mentioned that unless you are a “teacher’s pet", your chances for job advancement are slim to none. If you are unfortunate enough to have an mgr that has more mood swings than a playground swing set, as I did, you are in real trouble. The favoritism is so blatant it was a laugh. Can you imagine being told that you may not take a break on busy days? Well, it is true. We were told it is a gift. So, I have an hour off for lunch that I have to punch in and out for (that means my time) and I am not in titled to any other breaks (?) and am told when to take my lunch to be sure that the phones are covered. So if assigned a 2:30 lunch you will have worked 6 ½ hours without any breaks. Is this even legal in Ma? Management is also often not available to answer phone calls for escalations or other emergencies. It would be nice if management could offer a hand every once in awhile rather than complaining about how high the work load is. Instead they are usually away from their desks and unable to be found or are very BUSY chatting and laughing with other mgrs. And god help you if you weren't on their good sides, as they would often find little ways to make your life unbearable. One way is by reviews which are based on THEIR interpretations of your work. If you are a favorite it is listed as reminder note, but if you are not a favorite you are marked down. Reviews are NOT FAIR too much is left to mgr discretion. Thank god four no more paranoia, no more anxiety attacks or stresses to make me sick. The only sad thing was leaving the friends and co-workers (because without them it would have been much worse). (Except the favorites that get extra help or other perks.) I still have friends that work there, and most of them are miserable. People are jumping ship at Travelers as if they were on a sinking ship. I know of 2 people who were hospitalized for stress related illness. DO YOU WANT TO WORK FOR ACOMPANY LIKE THIS.

From danver ma — 09/04/2010

From Tampa — 08/23/2010

Excellent company to work for!!!

From fall river, ma — 08/22/2010

good company but the job security is always on the edge

From Northeast — 07/05/2010

No amount of work is ever enough. Whenever I think I might someday be able to come up for air, the managers call another meeting and give us more ridiculous assignments that are nothing but busywork. What about the mountains of work we already have on our desks? Did you forget about that? When are we supposed to do these idiot projects? We have one manager who is a dirty old man who is just here to flirt with the office administrator and another manager who just hides in his office hoping nobody will remember he's in there. He has no spine, nobody respects him and we all know his days are numbered. (But then again everybody thinks that our office's days are numbered.) The atmosphere here is incredibly depressing and people get in fights all the time. I've finally gotten it together to put my resume out there. Working anywhere else has to be better than this, although I'm glad I discovered Job Vent because I'm checking out the reviews of other companies before I send them my resume. From what I can see, other than Progressive and Walmart, Travelers is the worst company to work for in the United States. So beware the umbrella! (Don't say I didn't warn you.)