Working at Toys R Us — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Toys R Us pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Toys R Us

From Kelowna British Columbia Canada — 08/06/2010

I thought it was going pretty well at my new job! Pay was great people were nice the only down side which everyone seems to complain about was selling the stupid Protection Plan. However today When I showed up at work today and was told they were interviewing someone not really thinking anything of it. 2 hours into my shift i got called in and told "thanks for giving us a try but we are letting you go" What the Hell does that me? I have worked there for 2.5 weeks! What can they possibly know about an employee in 2.5 weeks?
DO NOT WORK THERE no matter how desperate they are back stabbers!

From Washington, PA — 12/17/2009

I'm a seasonal sales associate in Pennsylvania. I got called about two days after applying for the job I applied for, which is nice that it was quick so I didn't have to wonder. I got called into a group interview, which I wasn't told it was a group one but that's okay, it was fun. We played with toys for a good part of it so they could determine our independence and how we work together, which is something I've never seen before but I liked it. It's a different way to screen your employees.

I know in a lot of places, Toys R Us may not be the greatest place to work for, but all my co-workers are great and most of our managers actually do a lot of work, so I can say the one I work for is actually a good job. I'm 18 and I've worked in retail before, and I have to say I prefer Toys R Us to the theater or clothing store I used to work for. It's not a hard job at all, seeing all the kids is fun, and as long as you can take the complaining parents, you're good to go!

Pay: Minimum wage in my area is only 7.25, but I'm getting 7.75 which is more than I honestly expected as a seasonal sales associate, so they are paying more than they are required for their sales associates which is great.

Respect: Nearly all of my co-workers, and my managers, respect my opinion and my needs. Some even look to me for advice, especially in the electronics department because I've played and owned nearly every game system.

Benefits: I don't know where some of the other reviewers worked, but at my store I'm only a seasonal associate and I still got benefits almost immediately. They aren't cheap, but I don't think any benefits are. The nursing home i work at now is more but you also get more. There are 3 levels of benefits, 1 being the cheapest but you don't get as much, 3 being the highest and you get the most out of it.

Job Security: My store hired 104, that's right over ONE HUNDRED, seasonal sales associates. The corporation required this, but it means most of these associates are going to be out of a job come January or February. Some will keep it, and I know a few of the associates have been there for years and years, but overall knowing you're probably going to be gone after the holidays isn't too good.

Work/Life Balance: My manager knew we weren't getting many hours because she was required to hire so many associates, so she was willing to change my availability very easily so I could get a second job. She also knew I have an infant daughter, so I couldn't really be called into work on a moment's notice and never held that against me. It makes me feel good to know they are willing to work around my busy home life.

Career Potential/Growth: It seems like there aren't very many mangers, and those who are managers have been there forever. During the regular year there aren't very many associates, so most of the over one hundred seasonal ones they hired won't get to stay, which isn't very good for growth or potential.

Location: My store was located next to a nearly abandoned mall, but don't think that it doesn't mean we didn't get busy. The mall may be empty other than a cloth store, a nail salon, and a department store, but we were SLAMMED nearly every day close to the holidays. The mall lot being empty made it so there was plenty of parking and decent parking even for the employees.

Co-worker Competence: I've really only had trouble with one co-worker, and I think she was in a bad mood. The rest of the time, the employees all really respect each other and try to have fun and enjoy each other's company, which is great for it being holiday season and us being really busy all the time and some nights staying til 1AM or later to get the store clean.

Work Environment: The store was messy, but that was at no fault of the store or the employees when there are hundreds of people going through the store every hour tearing it up. Every employee was nice to each other and we had fun joking around, but still it seemed like nearly everyone worked hard to do their job well.

OVERALL: I'd recommend working to the Toys R Us in my area to ANYONE who asks!

From AZ — 09/13/2009

It isn't THAT bad, but then again I am just a teenie that only works twice maybe three times a week. In all honestly if you are looking for a job in this economy, as a teenager you aren't going to be that lucky. I applied to fifteen other places and never got a call.

The people are SUPER cool! The constant nagging for an IC, BPP and batteries from the managers is all apart of their job because in the end THEY get yelled at by bigger people! After a while, the seven questions are so embedded in your mind that they just come out, and even if it makes people stare at you as is you've grown seven heads-just laugh along. Because it is just a job, even if the pay isn't as great, you grow character.

Balancing work, life, and school gets a bit hectic when I'm taking advanced placement class. They respect students and care about your personal life. Even though they write you up for calling in when you can't come in, it makes sense, because it gets really crazy when people don't show up for their shifts.

Hah! I doubt I could even advance in my career because I am not even able to enter the back room. I feel secure in my job, it's my first job so I'm not really sure what other jobs are like...But I like it. They treat me as an adult, and expect more of me because of what I have shown them what I am capable of.

Benefits... I don't really need the benefits because I am dependent on my parent's for that but from what I've heard from my co-workers, it isn't looking so good for full time workers. They are going to cut off most of their benefits in the upcoming year. And that is very sad, because many of the long term workers have been given part time shifts and that forces them to have to get another job to sustain themselves/family.

Location is great! Restaurants, stores, and other fun places are in walking distance.

Co-workers, especially the ones that went through the training process with you, instantly become your buddies. And everyone else too...if you have a positive attitude. Even though it's difficult at first, the experienced workers and managers are there to help you. Just ask! They won't tell you off if you don't know where a certain toy is. Although re-shop is THE most annoying task they give you at the end of a shift, it's fun to trade with another co-worker who has a toy you know it's "special" place and vice versa.

I will definitely not be the 9+ worker who knows EVERYTHING, because I do not want to work there my entire life, and have to live paycheck to paycheck.. Just go to college and leave these jobs for teenagers.

From Orlando — 07/08/2009

im just hourly but pay is ok, i always get hours, i like my co-workers. not a grate job but not bad for now.

From TN — 05/09/2009

Pretty solid job, Worked there for about 6 months so far and don't see the company downsizing any time soon.

Pros:

Decent Discount on video games.
Cool people work there. (Although not all)
Fairly secure job. (I have yet to see someone get fired)

Cons
After seasonal, hours are terrible. 20 hours a week AT BEST. And this is when we are going OVER the forecast.
Pay could definitely be better.
Trying to sell IC's and BPP's in 4 hour shifts doesn't really mix.
They don't fire people who are way too lazy. At least 2 people called out once a week ever week.