Working at The Hartford — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about The Hartford pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at The Hartford

From Alpharetta, GA — 09/22/2010

I have worked for The Hartford for about 2.5 years and have had such a great experience! I work in the LTD Claims Department and have had very supportive management that alway seems to be willing to help me develop my career. I always encourage others to apply. The Hartford seems to be consistently hiring for our department despite difficult times in the economy. The company has been very secure and I would not want to work for another insurance company. Having a positive attitude and a "can do" attitude can get you further in the company. The pay is good and if you use your time well, you can get the work done in a reasonable amount of time. I was hesitant about working for a corporation, but The Hartford has changed my mind!

From Southington — 01/05/2010

The Hartford supplments competitive pay with a large amount of Paid Time Off hence the huge turnover rates. In the past month several members of our idiotic upper management just up and left to 'explore other opportunities.' Of course, many of us wish them well in their endevours. HAH! There is very minimal job growth. The good news though is that we are 'well capitalized for the future' (thanks Uncle Sam) and we 'display passionate performance every single day (although not enough for a raise) making us leaders in a fiercly competitive industrty.'

From Simsbury, CT — 11/14/2009

I worked in the call center when I first started. I hated it. They were always breathing down your back and making you follow a script. However they did let me come to work in the morning, then leave for school, and come back again. I also was able to work at night and go to school during the day which I liked. I then posted out to a position in Simsbury CT. I like my job and feel the company is a decent company to work for. I was able to keep my position after being out 26 weeks after having my baby. I was also able to return working 32 hours and twice a week at home and twice a week in the office. This is a great work/life balance for me. Even though the pay is bad for all of the work we have to do, and I get no credit for doing my job in 32 hours while everyone else works 40, the benefits of me working from home and part time are what keep me at my position and from posting out to somewhere new. They also paid for me to finish up my bachelors degree. Currently is seems each year we get more work, and more micromanageing which we didn't have before. People in mydepartment (GBD) are starting to hate their jobs where before they didn't mind it. Management does have their "pets" and if you are one of them you will move up in your department. If not, you will never go anywhere. Overall I have to say that The Hartford is not a bad company to work for.

From CA — 05/15/2009

The location I am refering to has really turned things around since the dark days of 2007. Nothing will ever be perfect, but the office has really worked hard at providing a positive environment while driving improvement in results. Overall, it is a great place to work given that many other companies are closing down their shops, Hartford has not. Workloads are manageable too.

From San Diego,California — 05/09/2009

I have worked for this company for 7 years and I love my job, Manager and co-workers. The Hartford treats me well. The people in this office are awesome like a family. I enjoy the location I am only about 5 minutes from home.

People who generally have a problem with the Hartford are those who want to be paid for not working. If you do your job then you don't have all of the issues these people in the offices other than the one in Santee have. I have an excellent 401k, A cash Pension plan and stock as well. The Hartford is not a place for those searching for a job, it is a career choice and a good one for those who actually want to work.

From San Antonio, TX — 03/12/2009

Hartford provided a top notch training in the commercial P&C business. I will always thank them for this.

The pay was poor relative to industry standards for my position, but they hired me out of school and trained me. I think this was quite fair.

They did not increase my pay to industry standard levels after a couple years. Other companies were willing to do so. They had a lot of turnover because of this.

The company did foster personal & career growth, and there were many talented smart coworkers.

Management could be fickle, there were inappropriate manager-->employee affairs, and generally a lot of office drama. Many of us suspected that 'pay for performance' (the mantra behind the ROUS bonus structure and the justification given for lower than average salaries) had been hijacked by a 'pay for managers' favorite employees'.

The company felt like a big one.

The benefits were okay. Great modern PTO policy-- my first year I had two dozen paid days off.

Overall I enjoyed working for The Hartford. It was a fantastic first job out of college and I am very grateful for the opportunities my time there provided.

My biggest complaint is I put WAY too much money into the company stock. The money I put into retirement accounts there was almost wiped out. When I worked there the stock price was almost $100. I bought some shares last week for $4.00 per share.

From FL — 11/04/2008

In reference to the October 31 post: Was it the entrenched, established people who made the reckless investments that contributed to the company’s downfall? Doubtful, because those former, boring and conservative stewards of company funds operated under tried and true investment conventions rather than “challenging themselves to go beyond what they have always done.” Their long-standing and highly successful strategy was to stick mostly with high quality government and municipal bonds, and this held up in both good and bad times. The new innovative crowd who eschewed sitting “idly by” went after exotic and needlessly risky investment products; apparently not thinking much about how they would perform in financially perilous times. Maybe like Washington and Wall Street, they thought the good times would last forever? The collateral damage is the many employees who will now be unemployed; most likely you and me among them. But how nice that we’ve all had a chance to say how happy we all are in an employee survey before we clean out our desks, and the really good news is that those darned entrenched people won’t be there holding back progress, right?

From Hartford, CT — 10/31/2008

As a Hartford veteran, I can say that the prior posts about the influence of GE, Travelers, and Progressive being the source of The Hartford's issues are proof that the old Hartford culture will inevitably lead to the demise of the company. The entrenched, established people that resent change, innovation, and a culture of achievement would prefer to sit idly by and watch the company continue to be an "also ran" rather than challenge themselves to go beyond what they have always done. The claims organization was a tremendous example of how much could be accomplished at The Hartford when given great leadership. Under Juan Andrade, every possible measure, including employee surveys, turnover and customer satisfaction, reached all-time highs. He and his team, which was a great blend of Hartford and non-Hartford experience, led the organization the right way and, with the exception of the complacent and comfortable, everyone enjoyed the success realized under his leadership. For those of us that knew this was the way it should have been all along, it was a great relief to see Juan bring an approach that most of us knew was the "right way" of managing claims. I think the rest of the organization could learn a few things from some of the "outsiders" that might help us during this crisis.

From hartford, ct — 06/14/2008

Any experienced person who have worked in large companies knows there are huge variation in perception of the work environment depending on manager and division leadership. Groups such as service and operations are run very tightly with strong controls making the environment touch. Management is under great pressure to control costs which leads to a difficult work environment. In home office worker competency is sporadic. Some are extremely competent, others have survived by politicla savvy only. In short the environment is driven by where you land and what you make of it. Information Tehcnology group is under so much change it is chaotic, staff is overworked but managment is respectful. Pay is decent but bonus' can be decent. As in any corporate environment, these things are driven by politics as much as performance.
Don't expect utopia here, as in any large corporate environment, it's how much time you dedicate to move around the organization to find a fit for what your are looking for in life.

From OKC, OK — 06/07/2008