Working at The Children's Place — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about The Children's Place pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at The Children's Place

From Aiea, Hawaii — 08/16/2010

I will first start off by NOT recommending this as a good place to work unless you're female and/or a mother. With me being the male counterpart, working here was so-so. Most of my co-workers were pregnant teens or mothers. Before I get to describing the bad parts, I'll start off with the good first. I chose the job because I love kids and seeing all kinds of spirited children, babies, and families coming in to the store always made my day. The things that stood out for me were helping them (kids and parents alike) pick out outfits for school pictures, family events, holidays and such. It was also very rewarding to see the smiles on their little faces after getting some new gear. The environment was upbeat and fast paced especially during Christmas season, so no "bored-out of-my-mind" moments. The atmosphere I also enjoyed (college student art major here) so I always loved the very colorful displays, apparel, and marketing...again, nothing drab here! Employee discount was 20% for me, which came in handy for the giftgiving days. Now onto the tasks - same as any retail environment - there was that underlying pressure to sell, sell, sell! Restocking was a bit annoying for me and so was cleaning up at the end of the day. Just imagine all of the messy daycare antics and you can see how folding clothes and putting back items (shoes, socks, accessories) were a big thumbs down. But again it all comes with the territory. So now the BAD parts...first was the pay. It was unfair. I started and quitted with the same payrate (after 1.5 years) and found out that other co-workers plus those who were hired after me got paid more or got raises. I would casually bring up the subject but only to be brushed off. Second, was respect. Like I mentioned earlier, I was the only guy within the entire store staff. I was pretty much a magnet to carry the heaviest boxes, do the most physically demanding tasks, and most of the dirty work (taking out trash, cleaning the toilets, sweeping etc) all while handling customers and the register. Another tidbit was the pressure to open store charge cards. I hated having to reprise my robotic script in getting customers to open up accounts. But despite all of this, I did get commended on all of the good stuff I did. Too bad they didn't commend me with a raise... even after things like setting the record for most charge card openings in a day and having a high selling report. Nothing! Although I will say that my managers were friendly, professional, and personable but just oblivious to my needs as a worker. Or were they?

From Iowa — 03/28/2010

I worked here part time last summer. It was overall a great job! The management was all really nice and most of the other employees were decent. Being part time did have its bad sides too though. For example I think I worked like 9 Saturdays in a row and that made it a little bit difficult to have any sort of work/home life balance. The discount was okay. It was 30% and then it got switched to 25% but the prices are already so low it's still a good deal.

From NJ — 12/14/2009

It was a nice to company to work for. You can definately grow in the company. Benefits are great. It could be a little stressful but overall an amazing company to work for. Theonly thing is associates get paid like a shit most of the time its minimum wage but management makes good money.

From Va — 07/02/2009

I LOVE this place!!! I've been working there for 3 years and started out as a sales associate. I am now a CSM and have seen MANY managers come and go. I think that we have a GREAT RSM an DSM!! and with this comes great managers. The benefits aren't bad, they do cost a lot however. The pay is pretty good. For the comment above, pay is not only based on the associates experience but also the volume of the store and the size. I have recruitted many friends and they all love the company and have even been promoted to as far as Store Managers. This company love to promote within....but maybe are distic is just that AWESOME!!!

From Secaucus, New Jersey — 02/18/2008

The Finance Dept. is terrible. Incompetent Managers and Controller. Controller had a nervous breakdown and behaves in a psychotic manner. Cheats the vendors and the employees. Very insecure managers, especially in Finance and HR. The company should be investigated by the SEC.