Working at Teavana — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Teavana pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Teavana

From Charlotte, NC — 08/08/2010

Ya know, I've only been with this company for a few months, and I have to say, I absolutely love it. I'm only part time, but I am the happiest I've been at any job I've ever held. The staff and management at this location is fair, fun, and gets things accomplished. From what I've heard, from more seasoned employees at this location, this didn't used to be the case a year ago. From what I've read here online, the individual experience of every employee with the company, varies SOLELY based on the stores General Manager. I'm no expert, but it seems as if I've got a great mgmnt team. It's very unfortunate that so many stores have all of these "unethical" things going on in them....maybe thats something that upper management needs to investigate....because at the store I work at, those "shady" things don't go on. And we're actually PRAISED for our progress, and COACHED when we do something wrong. I'm only working part time, but am considering attempting to stay with them and try to advance, depending on how things go.

From NY — 08/03/2010

I get frustrated when I see all these negative reviews about the "shadiness" of the company. I am aware that it seems to vary by store, but in our store, we have a huge number of return, happy customers. Yes, there is a sales process, and yes, there are sales goals, but you don't have to be shady to do well. I legitimately care about what I'm selling, and I care about making the customers happy. Maximizing every sale does not mean that you are shoving things down their throats. I was actually quite skeptical at the beginning about whether or not I'd make a good salesperson, but I've found that having a genuine interest in pleasing the customer results in a positive experience for them as well as for me. Sure, some people will only buy a small amount of something, but if you follow the sales process for everyone, you will find that many people are extremely willing to spend more if they are only offered more. If you follow that process for everyone, the high tickets average out the low, and you do just fine. The idea is to simply offer options, find out what the customer really needs, and be mindful of that while trying to maximize the sale. It's simple. I find that the employees who think it's "shady" are just not very good at it, and that is fine. I appreciate that it's not just a mall job.

Additionally, the company treats it's employees with great respect. They promote from within, and they do it readily. They provide training opportunities. They have excellent benefits, even for part-time employees - medical, dental, vision, and a 401K with an employer match (yes, a match! for part-time employees). Besides a very good hourly pay, your monthly bonus increases that by quite a bit. Plus you get the usual all the drinks you want to drink while working (You can't sell tea if you don't drink it, right?) and a great employee discount (Bear in mind that all the Teavana employees that I know buy, use, and LOVE the products that they're selling to people). Additionally, I've met some of the most intelligent people I've ever worked with (I come from a science background and most of my school friends have advanced degrees). This comes from the fact that Teavana doesn't consider anyone "overqualified" and is motivated to hire people who have potential to move upwards in a growing company.

My store has an excellent work environment, with a focus on keeping things light and fun while still getting the job done. The idea is that you have to be in a good mood to do a great job. The sales aspect is treated like a game, and no one in my store is unscrupulous. It's not my job to decide who can or can't spend a certain amount of money, but it IS my job to show them what they can buy, explain why it's something they would want, and then it's the customer's decision if they want to buy it or not. I have never (and neither has anyone I've worked with) tricked a customer into buying something. Additionally, I regularly make bonus and exceed the company goals. I do this by following the sales process and connecting with my customer to understand their needs.

If anyone's thinking of working for Teavana and is getting bummed by these reviews, I encourage you to please make your own judgment and remember that it is a job that you have to work at, so don't expect a walk in the park. Maybe some stores have been run differently, but I believe the company is working to remedy this. Bottom line is, if people think they can go to the mall and not be "bothered" by salespeople, they're in the wrong place :) Seriously though, Teavana has a tried and true sales process. If you really want to see what a "hard sell" actually is, check out the people at the kiosks in the mall, where products really are marked up 1200%, they "secretly" make you a "deal," (ooh, now it's only marked up 600%!) and they grab at you and shout as you walk by.

From Costa Mesa, CA — 07/08/2010

This job is NOT for everyone. If you can do your job the way it is supposed to be done and work as a team player, you will love your job. If you don't, thats fine. It is not an easy job and it's not for everyone.

From USA — 07/08/2010

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I will share mine. Teavana is an amazing company. Yes, their concept is unique. I started with the company close to a year ago, as a seasonal hourly associate, I was scheduled maybe 10 hours a week. I listened to my GM, and followed what they had to say in the training step by step. The sales process is there for a reason. After a couple of months, I was promoted to a keyholder, and soon after that, enrolled into the corporate mgmnt training class. Within 4 months of being hired with the company, I was offered a GM position, with full relocation assistance. I, of course accepted the position. Over the past 5-6 months or so, my store has consistently been one of the top performers in the region, and in some instances, company wide. When you put forth the effort required, the possibilities of opportunity with this company, are endless. THIS JOB IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY. Most people that apply to this job, think it's "a tea version of Starbucks". Or, they think they're just going to be cashiers. Yes, you have to sell, and sell your ass off. As for all of the allegations of "managers stealing sales." In my store, if you're not following the sales process, and I see an opportunity to maximize a sale, my AGM and I will both tactfully step in, and salvage/resuscitate the sale. If the team member is still new with the company, by all means, we will ring it under their name. If you've been there awhile, and you know what you're supposed to be doing, but for whatever reason, be it laziness, ignorance, or apathy, we will ring it under our name. We do that, for the simple fact, that we don't want to foster the idea of "playing favorites." At the end of the day, the stores numbers, is what matters. It is a business, not a social gathering. If the store isn't making plan, then alotted payroll hours get cut. Plain and simple. So, for those of you whining and complaining about "she stole my sale," take a look at yourself. Are you REALLY exerting all of your effort into the job? Are you REALLY following the sales process as you were initially shown by your training mgr? Are you ENGAGING the customer, and getting them involved? Or are you being complacently apathetic, and asking them "do you need any help?" after they've already touched the same cast iron pot 4 times? All too often, have I had employees resign from their job, because "this isn't what I expected the job to be." In the interview, I do explain, fully, that this IS a sales job. Maybe I don't do it well enough? I believe that most people hear "sales" in the mall, as "retail cashier". Anyhow, I've begun to drift. My overall point is, as with any job, you usually get out of it, what you put into it. I'm extremely happy with my employment at Teavana, and plan to continue to climb the ladder with the company.

From New York — 07/02/2010

I have been very pleased with the training and
chances for advancement that have come my
way with Teavana. The culture is certainly one
of hardwork, but mgmt knows who you
are; not just a number, and the promotions
come from within so I've had a much chance to
move up here, than other companies in the past
I've been at.

From Tennessee — 06/14/2010

I know a lot of people have had negative comments to say about Teavana, but my experience has been much better than most. It has been easy to move up within the company, my managers have been great. The people I have worked with have been like family to me and we have return customer after return customer. I know, however, it has to do with the managers. I believe fully that it depends on who is managing the store. You have to be willing to work with, train and understand your employees in order to succeed. Yes, Teavana has sales goals to reach, but in my experience, it is extremely easy to reach. I've bonused almost every month. And the months I didn't, I wasn't chastised or made to feel like an idiot. If the day is slow and we couldn't reach our goal, it wasn't the end of the world as long as we did what we were supposed to. Many people want to have something bad to say about the company but this is the best company I've worked for and I've been working retail for almost ten years. Now on the subject of ringing people up for things they never agreed to buy, I have heard of things like that happening but Teavana has been putting a stop to that and they have changed some policies that needed to be changed. I have heard from other employees and customers that this has happened in other stores and I was embarrassed that it had happened. I would NEVER train my employees to ring a customer up for something they never agreed to buy, even if it is a drink. In this case, I say shame on whoever trained you to do that. I don't care who it is corporate or not. It's a crappy thing to do. But over all my experience has been great, rewarding, and fun and I want to move further up!

From Massachusetts — 04/11/2010

When I started at Teavana I was extremely excited. The benefits were nice (health, vision, dental, 401k, 40% discount, unlimited tea to drink, and returned or damaged merchandise to take home). Our staff was very cohesive and we ran like a well oiled machine. But so soon, the "honeymoon phase" of the new job ended and I started to see this job for what it really was: a total scam to line someone else's pocket with money. My boss was a total Napoleon. While company expectations were "x" she wanted yours to be "y and z". If the company wanted you to do something one way, we were told to do it the exact opposite. Everyday we were greeted with "nasty-grams" (notes that literally said "WTF is wrong with you?? If you don't raise your numbers today, I'm done with you all. It is simple: We sell tea. Do this or go home!!"), highlighted reports telling us how bad we did, or long emails asking us to explain why we weren't as good as our manager. What was so funny about this is that our manager doesn't do much. They stand behind the computer pretending to do work, then swoop in on a customer of their choosing. Or if your customer orders a drink, they will take your customer while you are outback preparing it for them. Their expectations are insanely high and often times contradictory. You must have a $40+ average ticket. If you sell $100 worth of stuff to someone, but then sell a $3 drink, your ticket is immediately $33. They say to you "don't want to sell drinks? Then sell tea with your drinks"... let's be serious here folks... do you really think I'm going to sell tea to every mall employee that comes in every day to buy a $2.80 drink? They come here EVERYDAY. Or if your numbers are low it's "because you aren't sampling"... yeah... so on the days that I sampled and my coworker just stood there, and I sampled in someone that bought 2 oz of roobis, but a customer just walks in and buys a full cast iron set from my lazy coworker...how do you explain this?? I was told in February that I was not allowed to have ANY weekends off until the FOLLOWING February, and that even though I accrued 15 days PTO, I could only take them tues-thurs. Long story short, there are a million other places you could work for crap pay and less stress. Believe me, I've worked retail for 10 years. I get it's a sales job with a sales process. But with an average of a 700% markup on loose tea, you think they'd quit their whining about not selling indicator board teas and just be happy you pulled in an extra $2000 more than the rest of the entire store each week. Nothing is ever good enough. And curiously enough, 4 assistants have quit in the last 4 weeks in our district and another one is looking to leave asap. You'd think that SOMEONE would notice this and wonder why...but in the world of Teavana, who cares? You're expendable anyways.

From Atlanta, GA — 04/06/2010

I have been with teavana for about 9 months and know all too well the types who are writing in complaining. This is a sales position, and if you had a competent hiring manager that should have been explained. This is not like folding clothes at the gap, and that's what I like about it! I have gained some excellent sales experience here and that will only help anyone going into business down the road. The bonuses are not based on changing goals, they are consistent and based on the volume in your store. If you work hard you will make your bonus, and if you perform beyond the minimum you will be promoted, just as you are in any business. They offer MUCH better benefits than my previous jobs. My part time benefits were better than my full time at other places I've worked.

From MN — 03/14/2010

I think Teavana has the look and feel of a comfortable and well maintained store, but is exactly the opposite. Once you have been in there for more than 5 minutes, you realize how uneasy the air is, and how uncomfortable all the sales people as well as customers are. This company has horrible business ethics. They keep employees who have absolutely horrible customer service and people skills, but great manipulative skills in order to get big sales. The manager of the store commits fraud by ringing customers up for things they did not agree to purchase. There are not many repeat customers in this case. The employees have to work twice as hard to get the customers appreciation for what the manager does to loose it. I think after tea becomes more popular through the more natural and organic culture, people will soon discover it is easier to find tea at co-ops and other stores than this corrupt business.

From California — 03/06/2010

I am a current employee with Teavana and l am very passionate about what I sell. I am in upper management and believe that Teavana sells the best quality tea and tea products that you can find. Is Teavana a high strung pushy, tin seeling, your buying 1lb or more because you will love it and will like sale tactic...ABSOLUTLY! And customers love it! Most customers walk out saying, "Its all your fault you made me fall in love with this delicious tea and I'm back refilling my tins every month".

If you treat customers and your employee with respect the sales will follow. Customers can feed off our energy. Yes, I coach my team consisteantly on upping a sale or why they did not purchase tray with their cast iron set. Its business. However, at the end our day I will bulid my employee up and encourgae them for a job well done or what to improve on their next shift. Yes, its a sales job and its not for everyone. I just know that Teavana works for me and I love my team and selling them grow into sucessful tea and cast iron sellers. Several of my employees have transfered to other stores with raises and promotions. Teavana is a great place to work!