Working at TD Bank — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about TD Bank pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at TD Bank

From 19055 — 12/10/2009

This is only my opinion, so if you're thinking about working here... you might like it, you might not... but don't take my word for it. Just listen to my experience and make your own judgements.

I worked for TD/Commerce for 2 years and over the course of the two years received about a $.30 raise. Which, sucks. I was a part time employee and worked EVERY night and EVERY weekend and when I needed to request off for an event, I was given hetic by my manager.

None of the managers are respectful. I was called an "asshole, dipshit, stupid" and at every meeting we were told to keep steping it up a notch no matter how well we did.

This is one of those stores where the managers do absolutely nothing and get paid twice as much as you. They complain when they have to do a fraction of the work you do and then tell you that you suck at your job.

Customers yell at you constantly and a few times I had pens thrown at me.

When I started the job as "Commerce" my entire first year was pleasant and I enjoyed my work. I enjoyed my co-workers, ignored my managers and pleased the customers.

Over time, they took away raises, changed to TD Bank and dropped some of the benefits, and made everything really suck.

When the switch happened and there was a meltdown... I almost cried it was that stressful. Basically, if you like banking, go to an actual BANK. TD Bank is bascially a retail store. Everything about their business is about customer statisfaction.

From Calgary, Alberta — 10/15/2009

Now let me get this straight, TD is honestly one of the best banks to work for BY FAR. The system that they have in place for credit applicaitons and day to day banking is very simple and works well.

Now by biggest complaint is the salary/pay. The thing is, I understand that no one will ever be happy making what they make, and I can see that. But for what TD pays their Financial Service Reps or Financial Advisors, it's next to nothing. The amount of time and ass kissing to keep clients from moving to smaller institutions is BS.

So my honest opinion, if you're looking for a job to get you through school, TD is GREAT. You'll find most managers are very PRO school and are willing to work around your schedule. If you want to make a career out of it, expect a lot of stress from being in a management role but the pay is there. A first time branch manager should be expecting to make roughly 70k a year. I've persoanlly seen some branch managers make 6 figures plus in a busy branch, such as Chinook or Memroial branch. My advice, work hard and sell insurance so you can rocket to the top FAST to make the money you deserve! Good hunting!

From CT — 03/27/2009

This is a solid place to work if you're in an educational environment and need a job while you're putting yourself through school. Let me go down this checklist that I just filled out.

Pay -- it's not great -- but it's a bank -- you dont get rich working a teller line so it's to be expected. It's one of the better paying banking positions out there though.

Respect -- this really depends on your fellow staff -- I worked in several branches and each was it's own environment, but overall it was a helpful environment. People were very pleasant with each other and were equally respectful of one another.

Benefits -- let no one complain about this -- for a position of this nature these are FANTASTIC! You pay next to nothing in your check and have low co pays for doctors visits and such.

Job Security -- they are continuing to try to keep employees despite the recession so you have to applaud that effort, but I recall that there were "goals" set within our branch and if you didnt make your goals consecutively for weeks on end you would be put on a "pip" which is a step before being released from the company.

Work Life Balance -- there isnt really one --- the bank is open til 8 PM during the week and 3 on weekends.... so that leaves little time for much else once you're out of work if you have other responsibilities. When I was there, the bank was in fact your life.

Growth -- Non existant, they do not promote well from within they head hunt from other banks and pick and choose -- if you want to be promoted you'll have to leave and get a better job elsewhere and then apply for a higher scale job.

Co worker competence -- there was never a situation when I couldnt turn to a co worker for help if I needed it. STaff is knowledgable

WOrk Environment -- Very good!

From MA — 01/11/2009

This company no longer cares about its employees whatsoever. When I started two years ago, everything was pretty average corporate stuff. Now we have merged with Commerce Bank from NJ and apparently TD (based in Canada, who now owns Banknorth and Commerce who will soon become "TD Bank" together) thinks they are the greatest thing ever because now we seem to be taking on all of their terrible rules. Terrible for us, good for the company however.
It is easier than ever for customers to overdraw their accounts because pending things can cause you to overdraw now, and deposits are held for longer. Deposit your paycheck on Friday? Guess what? You get $100.00 until Tuesday. Nice huh? Any idiot can adapt, but as we know, America is full of idiots so thousands more people are OD'ing their accounts which makes your job infinitely more difficult as you are being screamed at constantly by angry customers who don't understand why they are overdrawn because of these new hard to understand rules. Even if you go online you can't tell why you are overdrawn.
They have taken away our holiday pay this year. As you know banks close most federal holidays. The call center stayed open but it was optional to work unless they needed more people than had volunteered. If you did not work you still got paid for the day. If you work, then you get time and a half for what you worked, plus those free holiday hours. Well, kiss that awesome perk goodbye. Now everyone has to work if scheduled normally that weekday, but you can *attempt* to request it off. And no more overtime. I used to work every holiday and make some extra cash.
These new changes impact very negatively on the employee and customer and are good for the company's bottom line. Less overtime, more overdraft fees.. they are paying out less and taking in more. The turn around was always bad here, people see our like 25 year old archaic pre-DOS terminal system (You have to TYPE everything, this was invented before the mouse) and our ridiculous complicated rules and they run like mad. Now, only the veterans stick around. Entire new-hire classes are gone within months. The few that make it through training get fed up and leave after being yelled at by mad customers everyday who can't understand our rules that we seem to make up as we go. You may start with a class of ten and have five left by the time it ends. People just don't show up one day because it's so hard with their ancient systems and terrible rules and infuriated customers. The job is 5x more complicated now in recent months but we are expected to keep the same level of productivity. How about no? The phones are clogged, emails are backed up for three days. Get a clue TD before you die like so many other banks as your customers leave in droves when they get sick of your selfish ways.
It's not all bad... it can be fun ranting to your fellow servants about how badly your job sucks.
I can't wait to see what else they will take away or how they will make things worse for employee and customer.