Working at Target — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Target pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Target

From Champaign,IL — 09/11/2010

I am fairly new to this Target store. I entered as a cashier with hopes of moving out onto the floor. I have been there exactly one month and one day. So far so good. I have done my time as a cashier and now I have been offered to work in the electronics department! While it is not what I want to do with the rest of my life, I have reached a short term goal.
The team members are kick ass. They get what they need to get done, no questions asked. I believe this particular Target store is one of the few that has their stuff together. The HR manager knows what she's doing. The front end is basically a small family. Today I walked into the break room and we got showered with cookies and cupcakes. A few weeks ago we were all given pizza and subway sandwiches.
I realize that a job in retail is a means to an end. So far my college working experience with Target has been nothing short of splendid. I feel comfortable and wanted. I know in the workforce you are bound to come across people you don't care for but that is just part of life. The important thing is to know how to deal with it properly.
With much confidence I give Target a big thumbs up. All you guys out there who don't like it, transfer to my store. We will hook you up.
Stay positive. If Target isn't right for you, it's not meant to be. Good luck on your endeavors.

From Southern California — 09/03/2010

I opened a new target last August. I was so excited to work at Target. Now, altho I still love working there, there are many issues that need adressing.

As many have already said, the powers that be, i.e. GSTL, ETL, etc, they all are very cliquish and don't care about anything more than meeting break times and having staff jump when they say jump.

I started in Food Ave and now after a year, I am clawing at the walls trying to get out ! My team memebers in Food Ave are exasperating enough to make Mother Theresa take up drinking !! I LOVE cashiering and working hardlines. I have told everyone, including the store manager, that I want to do those two things so what do they do?? Put one of my other team members where I want to be ...AND SHE HATES IT !!She hates being a cashier and harlines, all by her own admission ! I shout from the rooftops and I get nothing. I am working 2, 4 hour shifts a week right now, both in Food Ave and both CLOSING shifts ! GRRRRRR!!

I really like working at Target. I know that with the end of the year fast approaching, I will be where I want to be--OUT OF FOOD AVE !

Also, the pay is fine for what I do and for what I get. When reviews came up, I got more than most of my department team members. At least they got that right !! haha

From Montgomery, Al — 08/04/2010

I've only been working at Target for a few weeks, but so far my experience has been mostly positive. I had OK training, but would have liked a little more practice before jumping into it (I was put on a register the SAME day I was trained and I had never been a cashier before). My managers are nice and the employees are pretty fun and helpful. The pay could be better, but I am thankful just to have a job in this economy. True, I am a college grad and working at Target was never my "calling" but it's work and it's money. The job can be tedious and the hours can be heinous, especially closing. You're only supposed to be their until 11, but I have yet to get out before midnight. I suppose it depends on the store, but i don't have many negative things to say. Hey, at least it's not Wal Mart.

From GA — 08/02/2010

I have worked for Target Distribution for 15 years. I have worked in every department, done the hard labor. I am very happy I have this job. Many of you people out there grumbling are the same people that gripe when they do get a raise. When many people in your home town do not. You got a job to "WORK", why do you gripe when they require you "WORK". My god, do you expect them to pay you not to work. For those of you that say your managers are dirty, call the intergity hotline you idiot, if you do not it is your own damn fault.

From Florida — 07/18/2010

Retail and customer service is never fun but Target is one of the better companies to work for as far as respect, work environment, making sure you get your breaks, etc. However, the worst part about working there is that they deliberately hire too many people so you never get many hours.

I however have one specific quibble with them. I'm 17 but I have already graduated from High School. According to Florida labor law once you have graduated you no longer have any hour or break restrictions placed on you like all other minors.

However Target likes to stay "one step ahead of the law" so they require me to take a lunch every 3 hours, not work more than 8 hours, not stay past 9:45PM (the law for minors in school is 10:00PM but they like to "stay one step ahead of the law"). This results in me getting even less hours than I might have and only getting 3 hours shifts and stuff like that.

When I worked at a fast food place (don't want to get too specific and give myself away) they never paid attention to the law. I sometimes had to work until 1:00AM on a school night, I never got my breaks, we were often seriously understaffed, etc but I did get a lot of hours. I even got overtime when it was the busy season.

So it seems that for the time being I have to choose between either making decent money or having good working conditions. C'est la vie.

From Harrisonburg, VA — 07/15/2010

Harrisonburg Target can be a fun place to work. Pretty much all of the employees are friendly, and the management is good for the most part. During the holiday season, there is a lot of work put in to make sure the store looks as nice as possible for the guests the next day. I worked there for the holiday season. I quit halfway through; however, I have realized that I made a mistake. Harrisonburg has a limited number of places that will employ students, and I wholeheartedly believe that Target is one of the best places for students to work.

From Auburn, CA — 05/24/2010

Target is actually a good company to work for. The key is to do your job correctly. So many of the people that work here talk as though they are the hardest workers, not bothering to look at their own faults and trying to fix them. I am a TL and my pay is great for my education level. There are only a couple of negatives with this company, first it is very difficult to promote, there are several high potential team members that are not given the chance they deserve. The other negative with this company is the fact that you are required to have a degree to become anything more than a Team Lead, this overlooks many great people, and instead they generally recruit fresh college graduates that have very little to no real management experience. Overall I enjoy coming to work most days.

From Fort Myers, FL — 05/14/2010

Not a bad place to work, for a seasonal job. I worked in hardlines, and the pay sucked. Very little respect from customers and managers. We got a small discount, which was good. Job security sucked, i was laid off after christmas. Work-life balance was good, however i only worked 20 hours per week. Most people working there were somewhat intelligent and somewhat hard workers. Customers sucked, managers did nothing except walk around and yell at you to work faster, and the whole "team" stuff was a little creepy.

From Richland, WA — 03/28/2010

I applied online via Target's online application. I had applied for another Target in our area a few times, and never even had an interview. About three days after applying to the second Target in my area (which is farther away and I had never been to), I was called in for an interview. I went in and did all three interviews in a period of about an hour and a half. I never had to go online for a survey like most people keep mentioning.

The first guy I trained with (for cashiering and sales floor) wasn't the best trainer. He's one of our LODs and doesn't always remember that people don't know everything about the job when they come in. He generally explained things well enough, but there were a few times I was lost. The second guy I trained with trained me in electronics and more sales floor stuff. He was great, and I learned a lot of things I should have learned the previous day.

I'm really glad this Target hired me. The other Target in my area has some very unfriendly people, and the store is usually pretty bad looking. The Target I'm at really focuses on being kind to the guests and to each other, and we're working to make our store look its best at all times of the day. I'm still fairly new, but I can start a conversation with any of my coworkers without any fear of looking stupid or having them get angry at me. We work and act like a team. We also enjoy poking fun at each other over the walkies throughout the day (which I'm sure makes us seem like crazies to the customers =P). We start off each of our three daily huddles by doing recognitions. We basically recognize a coworker for something outstanding they did, or thank them for helping with something when we needed it. It's a great team booster and helps everyone be in a positive mood!

The pay isn't that great... Minimum wage, with a chance for a raise each year, I believe. But all of us definitely get enough hours! I worked 25 hours in three days, and I had only been scheduled for about 15. They're really good about giving people more hours when they want them, or cutting or rearranging hours when people ask.

Many times, when a lot of people are scheduled to work after closing (usually until 10:30), the LOD gives an incentive to finish cutting signs, zoning, sorting, and finishing all the miscellaneous work. It's usually just a free drink of our choice or something random, but it just depends on the week and how much work we've done.

Also, even though I haven't been at Target for very long, I've already been trained on sales floor, cashiering, electronics, a bit of backroom work, and I will be training for softlines and guest service soon. Our store is pushing for everyone to be "champion trained" (trained in all areas of the store) so we can all respond to backup calls and work different departments when we need to. It's helped me get more hours, and it's really quickened our response times during busy days.

Obviously, every store is different. I think that I would have been absolutely miserable working at the other Target in my area. But the store I'm at is really amazing. I love the people, and I love the environment. It'd help if it was closer to where I live, but that's kinda hard to change =P So really, the experience you have depends on the store you work at. Simple as that.

From Houston area — 02/23/2010

Okay, I consider myself a stay-at-home-mom. I work when kids are in school, or 6pm-cl when kids are out of school. I mainly cashier, and cash office (my most favorite shift)

So in my situation... work/life balance is great. I only want to work part time. I monthly look at my calendar and write down all my time off requests far in advance. I also choose to keep one day "unavailable" to fill up various things in life that pop up.

Pay is low... but pay is low in retail. I am the queen of under $10/hr jobs. Target is "average" in my book.

Benefits. I'm a mom... so I appreciate the 10% discount... sometimes an additional 10% off store brands. And I use (and pay off monthly) my Target card for additional 10% off bonus days... sometimes double & triple dip discounts and use coupons. I'm buying groceries for the family that I would still have to otherwise buy whether I work for Target or not. I never pay more than $5 for any item of clothing... 3 kids, shoes!, husband in polos and chinos, etc...

I also do 401k (5% match) not much money, but it's no-brainer savings

I have a wonderful GE-ETL I feel that she respects us. Our STL is a distant, detatched ice queen. The other ETL's range from over-worked and tired, to baby-butt brand new (I wanna burp one) to the softlines ETL who is a rude clueless clod. She nags and belittles on the walkie (yes, customers CAN hear you!) She refuses to answer when LOD (for guest service) and doesn't know the most basic cashier/guest service transactions.

As a cash-office team member, the softlines ETL decides it is our duty to do price challenge reports. (a COMPLETELY unrelated task, but oh well) When a guest challenges a price (says it's $4.50 instead of $5.00) it goes on a report. With the cashier's name on it... which boggles my mind, are they tracking that? Do they want us to screw with a guest over 50 cents (or make them happy) Anyway, I'm supposed to run around the store and check... was the price incorrect?

I find several issues where an item REALLY is on sale, (not expired) but rang up regular price. Not the fault of a cashier, the guest didn't read it wrong... REALLY ON SALE! Her solution to the problem? I should take the sale sign down. I protest, not "fair" to the guest. She doesn't get it... problem solved if we just remove the sale sign, right?? No need to fix the price, right?

Anyway, I, myself, have nothing to complain about. I don't work much, MY direct etl treats me with respect. But there is some true problems there. They don't know how to say THANK YOU (that doesn't cost a dime, btw)

Oh one gripe is as a closer. You are at the mercy of the closing ETL. They determine when the work is done and time to go home. They call us to go clock out. So the whole crew clocks out, and waits by the locked door. For sometimes as long as 15 min or more to be let out. (unpaid) Why?? Lazy, ETL if you aren't ready to let us out, don't send us to the time clock. No one likes spending 15 min at Target UNPAID and unable to leave. The rest of the day, people finish their shift and walk out the door. Closers shouldn't have to wait too.