Work at T-Mobile — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about T-Mobile pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at T-Mobile

From Richmond, VA — 11/13/2009

I was a customer care rep in a call center and I absolutely hated my job. When I first started with the company it was a great place to work. The goals that were set were attainable. But as time changed the expectations became unrealistic. First it was the changes to MCIP. I consistently got the $600 bonus each month, after the change I could get no more than $100. Then there was emphasis on iocr, voice of the customer, etc. And then the dreadful right fitting came. Everyday we had to use trackers for all the features added and removed. I have never felt so pressured in my life. Some of my co workers were recommending things to customers that they did not need. The GRE completely changed and everyone all across the board were getting 2's. The final straw for me was the even more plans. I don't think that we were adequately trained. I felt as though we were just thrown to the wolves. And several supervisors were constantly giving me the wrong information. T-mobile always talks about living the values and I honestly feel as though the employees are not valued. Its a very stressful job with unrealistic goals. They always have an excuse for not giving us the quartely bonuses and raises. I would advise to seriously consider if its worth it becuase the stress was too much. It takes a toll on you emotionally and physically.

From Tallahassee — 07/23/2009

Awesome company great phones I love big paychecks

From Colorado Springs, CO — 12/26/2008

I have been with T-Mobile for over 5 years now. This is a company where there are plenty of reasons to stay for and on the same note leave for. My time there has been great up until now in the current role and environment I'm in. I have been able to meet very smart, friendly people within this company including senior leadership/leadership who helped me along the way reach a goal that I thought I was destined for. Turns out the role I am now in creates more chaos in my life compared to other roles before. Recently there has been so much focus on the business getting back to where it "needs" to be that the people focus is lost. Workload is very intense which takes away time from...well life. Even though the pay is great I can't leave because of needing the funds for family (also the job market sucks here right now). All in all I am grateful for the friends I've made and the success I've had I'm going to do my best to step down or step out. There is only so much of this corporate political stuff you can take until you snap. T-Mobile I love ya but get a grip on your business and people that work for you and understand that who cares whether or not we get JD Power again care about how your people feel.

From Brownsville, TX — 07/13/2008

Here in Brownsville, TX, the call center has still to complete it's first year in production. It's considered a great opportunity since the pay is unmatched but, unfortunately, a job at t-mobile is about as good as it gets in the valley. the benefits are top-notch and go into effect in about two months once you start your training. Job security is iffy since there are so many factors that could result in your termination. They do paint a very pretty picture when you come into the center and it does have a lot of neat perks like a fitness center and of course the ten dollar employee phone plan and 40% off phones is nice too. training in no way prepares you for the belly of the beast that is production. you are expected to clock in and have 7 minutes of stread time (compose yourself) and then its call after call after call. you are expected to resolve a customers issue in a timely manner as well as engage in small talk so there won't be any dead air. if you have to adjust credits for your customer, which you set a couple of days afterwards, then you have to do this while on your new calls otherwise you are stuck doing your follow ups on your breaks. they won't give you a time to do this or allow you to do them after work because they insist on closing them out before a certain time every day. the supervisors will walk behind the people in the pods and yell, "let me hear your courtesy and concern guys, among other varied annoyances which is difficult because you're trying to help a customer and feign interest in what they have to say, get their information from this massive database "streamline" and make changes to their account. if you happen to get stuck on a problem and have to ask your "floor support" for an answer, they will turn you down and tell you to use your resources. even after you have exhausted a search for an issue that requires a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer, they will turn you away. if your follow ups aren't how they want it to be then you know what? you get it sent right back to you and you are being poked and prodded while on calls until they are completed.
people are constantly listening in on your calls, which wouldn't be so bad if they were done in a discreet manner. it's obvious when they are listening to you because you will hear an echo or feedback on your headset, making it harder to listen to the customer and in turn, bringing the quality of the calls down.
they have these things called "kudo's calls" which is when a customer initiates a talk with your supervisor to let them know how good a job you've been doing. these i thought actually meant something until i hear of a practice some reps use in that they shamelessly tell the customer they can talk to the supervisor to let them know what a good job they're doing. some people get carried away with this and will have an unreal amount of these calls. but, you know, good for them.. they are working the system and, in the end, it will look good on them. some of us have a problem being big phonies and some of don't.
work environment starts off being really nice through training and then quickly, the blindfolded is lifted and you see where you actually are.
overall, it has been an extremely disillusioning experience for me...
of course some people can stand this kind of pressure and give them mad props because i sure as hell couldn't. at customer care, you really get the serrated edge of the knife right up the wazz. you get the people with the problems with their bill because they go over and don't want to be responsible for the overages they incur, the ones that make purchases they regret and try to get credit for it, you hear everything. and, while they tell you numbers aren't important, they are very much so.. it's very contradicting. but some people excel in this and see it as a challenge. as far as potential for growth.. if you meet those numbers and your coach likes you, then it should be fairly easy to get ahead since the only requirements are to have been on the production floor for 60 days to be considered. then it's just a matter of how good your scores are and how well you do in an interview. however, due to the nature of the work, sixty days can seem like an eternity. one week feels like years beacause you feel like you are stuck in a dead end job for so long and then you realise it's only been a couple of days!
the work envirnment, like i stated before, is good at the beginning but then the calls are so stressful that you don't care for what perks the call center has to offer.. you end up just wishing you were somewhere else and counting the MINUTES until the day ends. if you're looking for one hell of a challenge, then i would suggest this. otherwise, don't bother. if anything you can get through the training for some good easy money and discounts on phones. they only allow you two per year at the 40$ discount.

From Wichita, KS — 06/24/2008

Customer Service Representative 1 - I have worked for T-mobile for over a year now and it has a very competitive starting salary that is usually higher than those of other companies in the area. Every employee is treated with respect because T-mobile believes that the CSRs, RSRSs, & Techs (Front line Employees) are #1 and the customer is the reason why. The benefits are amazing! Automatic enrollment in a company matched 401k program, optional flexible spending accounts, childcare subsidiaries, highly affordable health insurance for multiple family types. Cell phones are not going away any time soon, so job security is an assured thing. They offer multiple schedule types to accommodate the mass amount of people they employ. They also work with those who can only work limited hours for various reasons, such as school, family, or other work. Every month we are talked with about our career potential and growth. Much of the hiring is done within the company by promoting internally. I love where I work, the location is fantastic and with so many different sites around the nation I would have no trouble relocating. Everyone who got hired on at T-mobile had to pass the same tests I did and I believe if they make it out of training then they know what they're doing and are very competant in their abilities.

From Central — 06/22/2008

Been at T-Mobile for over 3 years in the B2B sales channel. Benefits are great, first job that I have had that I can put my domestic partner on my insurance even though we are not married. Pay is good, although commission structure has been changed and now monthly commission caps have been put in place, which do not affect most reps, however it does prevent one from wanting to go after alarge deal because you wont get paid on all of it anyway.

You get to work from home a couple times a week which is nice, because the office is a hole. People on my team are nice and we have been together for a long time and we all get along. The challange here is mainly the direction from upper management, or lack there of, R. Dotson is not a fan of the business channell and as our base of customers makes up only 3% of the total customer base for T-Mobile (1.3M / 32 M total)we do not get a lot of attention, nor do we get any resources to support us. Each account manager has to manage their whole account base with minimal help from the FAM team which is understaffed as is, and as a result, the longer you work at T-Mobile, the more work you have to do with regards to customer service and maintenance, and the less time you have to sell and find new customers. Also, our competition continues to get new support and new technology that allows the customers to manage their own account while the reps just get credit for any additional sales.

Although there are problems, I am still pretty happy because I like my boss, my co-workers, and the work/life balance that exists at our location, however, unless we begin to get more support from upper management, I foresee major problems in the next year or so...

From Nashville — 04/22/2008

Wow, I cant beleive these reviews were so low about T-mobile. This actually was the best job i've ever had. When I started the job the pay was ok not the best but I 've recieved about 5 raises since my employment started and I was only there 2 years. And I recieved a proomotion withing 6 months of getting out of training. This is def a place where respect is a must. Bosses treat employes like their cusotmers and reps treat cusotmers like custoemrs. So they lead by example in most cases. Every single sup I've had at Tomobile I enjoyed to the fullest. They helped me grow and also pointed me in the path of moving up in the company. The location was not all that because I am from SC, and I lived in Nashville for 2 year but when I got married I had to move back to SC and there at the time no Tmobile. The work enviroment is very laid back, jeans type dress code so we were comfortable taking calls and giving 100 percent. When you work in customer service you need to make sure your employer understands the type of stress the job can present and do whatever possible to ensure the on the job stress is at a minium. T-mobile did that very effectly. If you are thinking about working there just keep in mind you will do fine as long as you can handle the stress of phone customer service, if you can T-mobile is the place to be.

From New Tampa, FL — 04/20/2008

Pay: I think the pay at T-Mobile is outstanding. They pay for performance. They give annual raises and bonuses up to 16 times a year (finnancial care). Every once in a while they even check to see if each individual is where they should be and if they aren't they will raise your pay in addition to your normal annual raise.

Respect: T-Mobile has a set of values that they would like each employee to live by. They are all in all great values. There is some disrespect amoung reps from time to time and reps fight to be # 1 and can get catty but management and leaders with in TM respect their employees and will do what they can to help you out in any situation.

Benefits: In addition to great health/vison/dental plan. We have phone discounts, cell bill discounts for $10.00 a line. Daycare subsidy of $200.00 a month. Life insurance. 401K that they match a certain %.

Job Security: I do not worry at all that I will get laid off from TM. I think as long as you do your job and come to work you are fine.

W/L balance: They have made our schedules so that w/in the schedule YOU choose you can reduce the hours and still be considered full time and recieve benefits. They make it as fair as possible to request time off. First come first serve and if the day is not avail when you do request off you have the option of switching days with someone.

Career potential/Growth: You have all the potential in the world. TM loves to promote from w/in and it is easy to do so as long as you really try. You do have to network yourself and get to know as many people in managment as possible. You have to sell yourself not only in your interview but day to day with your performance and how you talk to paople around the center. I have seen though that certain supervisors will print off interview questions for their reps so they can study and get the promotion. I think that is unfair. There are people that really know how to do the job they are applying for and then people that just figured out the perfect answer for the question.

Location: Is perfect

Co-Worker competence: TM makes sure you know how to do your job. They do multiple Quality monitors a month. We have coaching w/ supervisors weekly. There are some people that sail by but if you cant perform at the job you are doing they will either teach you how or move you out.

Work Environment: TM tries to accomedate everyone with any request. We have a movie theater, cafe w/ playstation, pool tables, and internet, if you are too cold/hot you can request a temp change and it will be changed.

From san francisco, ca — 04/20/2008

I really enjoyed my job when I first got hired, in fact I liked coming to work and was excited everyday to come in, help customers and make sales. I took so much pride in my job and worked so hard that I became the top salesman in my region and one of the best in the nation! I thought with my unparalled success, desire, skills set, can-do attitude and education it wouldn't be too hard to get a promotion. Not true, after sitting back and analyzing the promotions that have taken place in my region the past year I can tell you that t-mobile is very political and very bureaucratic. They do make efforts to ensure employees stay for awhile and feel they can develop in their career if they want. My location is pretty good and we have a lot of sales opportunities so my commission isnt all that bad compared to what other reps at slower stores make. Our benefits are better than nothing but don't truly take care of all our needs; I only use them when its a must since I got to come out of pocket for many things. As far as respect from your co-workers and superiors its very wishy-washy, they manipulate things to spotlight your weaknesses and make you think you cant move up with the company. If you are good with politics and are fortunate enough to be friends with management you are in for a good career and will move up in reasonable intervals of time and make the kind of money needed to support a family and make a long term thing out of it. But if you arent looked at with favor by your superiors and arent in "the know" you will be constantly reminded of your weaknesses and be given excuse after excuse about how you are holding yourself back and not making the necessary adjustments to get promoted. Most (99%) of management are buddies and only hook up people they are close too. I really dont like how there is no union and our pay gets eroded tremendously by taxes and benefits, my commission checks get 40 percent taken out!!! That kills me. The petty office politics and undeserving promotions which reek of special interest have left a bitter taste in my mouth. I once thought the world of my job and thought the sky was the limit but upon further review I have realized that if you arent close friends with management it is like walking in molasses to get a promotion and get the spotlight needed to be promoted. I am more than qualified to become a senior retail sales representative but have been told I am not worthy since I have had issues with co-workers, it frustrates me since most friction with co-workers has come from unefficient workers who hate on me to hide there incompetence and make their lack of success seem like its of my making partially. I cant get this minor promotion, yet, because my co-workers are haters essentially. I come to work, do really well, work hard and would do anything for my managers and teammates. why should I be held back because a few co-workers are jealous and dont like me as a friend??? Like I said before if you are buddies outside of work with management this is the job for you. T-mobile is good about promotion from within but of those internal promotions nearly all of them are done before the job is even open, most hiring for management is decided beforehand. They still let people interview because they want people to feel like they have a shot at the job but make no mistake if you arent invited to take the promotion most times you arent in good enough with people to be given a promotion. I will keep this job until I get my act together and finish college but will probably end up leaving because of the petty office politics and stress I have endured at work from people who are just jealous that I am a far superior employee. People on my staff love to jerk off our managers and make themselves look good, most of the time its at the expense of a good employee who they make look bad so they can hopefully move up the corporate ladder.

From Wichita, KS — 09/30/2007

Pay- T-mobile pays very well for my area. Switching to T-mobile from my last job I recieved a 3.44 cent raise W/0 it being a position in managment. Can't beat that! They also have shift differential that is very appealing. If you work a shift that ends after 7:30 pm you get 1.00 shift differential for all 80 hours. If you work both Saturday and Sunday a 1.50 differential for all 80 hours.

Respect- Most people at T-Mobile are really nice and respectful. I really only had one bad occasion and that was with my trainer. She was a royal B*tch! I'm not sure how she still has a position.

Benefits- Excellent! Phone bill 10.00 a month....Health, Dental, Vison for a resonable price....phone discounts...Discounts for surronding businesses.....Paid Time Off....Tuition reimbursment.....and lots of incentives.

Job Security- I don't think that cell phones are going out of style anytime soon.

Work/Life Balance- They seem to be family orientied

Career Potential- Not sure started not too long ago. We will see! :)

Location- Its Kansas

Co- Workers Competence - Sure they all have a different answer

Work Environment- Fun and Stressful!