Working at T-Mobile — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about T-Mobile pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at T-Mobile

From Springfield, MO — 10/20/2010

T-Mobile isn't a bad company to work for, at least in the call center. Pay is better than many retail positions, and the benefits are good--health insurance is very affordable, you sometimes have the ability to do 4 (10 hour days) day work weeks, and gain 5 hours of vacation time every two weeks.

Make no mistake about it, though, it's a VERY high stress environment. It's a very busy & fast-paced workplace, and every single thing you do is measured with a statistic and reviewed constantly. To give you an example of things you're measured on, it's the total time it takes you to resolve a call, how often you put them on hold, how often you transfer them, how often you sell them additional services, how closely you adhere to break & lunch times (which can sometimes be difficult depending on the length of calls), how happy you make your customer (customer surveys), overall quality of your phone calls (scored by supervisors), attendance....I'm sure I'm probably forgetting a few of these. And when I say you're constantly reviewed on these things, here is an example....as many as TEN emails per day measuring your performance. Hopefully you have no qualms about every aspect of your performance being broadcasted to others, because it will be in these constant group emails. And as you might expect, if you've previously worked in call centers, be prepared to be yelled at, cursed at, insulted, and have your overall patience tried numerous times every single day. Basically if you tell the customer the facts and review/advise them of a situation, even when they're wrong (which is quite often the case), they're going to scream at you and often ask to speak to your supervisor. And again, if you have a lot of these "escalation" situations, you will also be critiqued/advised/reprimanded for this, as well.

I'm thankful to have a job and T-Mobile is far from the worst company out there. But the call center industry is a rough business (I was told call centers generally have about 60% turnover and that T-Mobile's is around 42%, in an interview) and a hard job to enjoy.

From Oakland, ME — 08/10/2010

I've seen some reviews where people accuse those who complain about T-Mobile as slackers, but in most cases that is not true. I don't think there is a perfect workplace anywhere. I quit after two years.

You need to have a thick skin because you will deal with customers who blame T-Mobile(and you) for everything - from their phone not working to their inability to pay their cell phone bill. While customer service is about making the customer the priority, it can be demoralizing. The last year I was there I was miserable.

During my two years there, managers were reluctant to take supervisor calls. When dealing with difficult customers, they would repeatedly tell you to negotiate with them, but when they eventually did take the call, they more often than not gave the customer whatever they wanted.

There wasn't a consistancy. If a supervisor gave you incorrect information, you would take the hit if the call had been monitored. You would get dinged if your call times were too long - even if you went above and beyond to help your customer.

It is a very competitive environment - between individuals and teams. If you have a bad score and it costs your team their ranking, it can get uncomfortable for that person who tanked the team. A manager actually encouraged our team to apologize to the rest of team if you got a bad score, which I found to be rather demeaning.

As long as you are funny and silly and have a grand old time with a customer, chances you are going to get a good score - even if you give the customer incorrect information.

From Oregon — 08/06/2010

everything is pretty good.
cept for the respect portion.

i was in love with it for 3.5 years...
it provided extremely well for my family.
but in the end. i left because i wasnt happy.

From Oregon — 06/15/2010

The greatest thing about T-Mobile is that you get to make it what ever you want it to be! I have never been encouraged and pushed so hard to succeed! If you want to get paid better, work harder and earn more through bonuses, commissions, and cash incentives. If you want to be more respected, display actions that earn you respect. Job security? Make yourself indispensable through your hard work and top performance. The list goes on and on. I have never felt hindered by this organization. I think that all the doors are open and all you have to do is walk through it. Some folks just don't want to have to get out of their chairs to do it. For those people, T-Mobile probably isn't the right fit for you. Motivated people move to the front of the line! I'll be there to help you too!

From Great Lakes — 04/25/2010

Good company, mediocre pay lacks recogntion

From USA — 03/21/2010

I keep hearing from management how lucky I am to have a job and that basically anyone could do it. I agree completely, I am lucky to have a job. ANYONE could do it. Not anyone would want to. I've chosen not to concern myself with the politics at work or the gossip. I have been in team meatings (spello intentional) where we discussed someones breasts for an hour. Meanwhile backrubs and foot rubs where given. I shrugged it off. I'm not pretty enough to have to worry about being involved. For that, I am greatful.
The stress level can be high. I've been plagued with log in issues for over a year. This means while an upset customer asks me a question while making it clear he wanted the answer yesterday, I pull up my "Tools" and get a log in error, a blank screen or if I'm really lucky the entire thing just crashes. I notified my "leadership" and they responded by letting me know my talk time is too high. I am meeting business expectations so I lowered my standards and istead of using Tmobile's system, I Google and Pray.

This is a good job while you look for a job or go to school. I just do what I do and treat my customers like kings. IMO they're my focus and everything else is just silly. I smile and nod when asked how its going because complaining is the quickest way to get fired.
I'll be blunt I'm here for the money. I love my family and I do my best with whatever I get but its not the type of job you want to do for life. But be real, Health care & groceries are a good thing.
Sometimes this job makes me long for my days at KFC working the register. That's usually when I take a day off. Because I can, vacation bennies are decent. I learned the art of taking a deep breath to refocus my energy on the person on the end of the phone. I'm not going into therapy because I work in the loony bin but I've done worse for less money. Overall, I figure by the time I am done here I could apply as a spiritual guru I'm so zen. And Nope I'm not medicated, they taught me all this stuff in training.
I don't hate my job but there isn't a Pink T at the end of this tunnel.

From Colorado Springs, CO — 03/10/2010

I worked at T-Mobile for over two years and most of it was bearable. The reason I stuck around for so long was the pay and benefits mostly. I recently quit of my free will and wanted to make a point of reviewing the company.

PAY: Starting out the pay was good. Especially compared to where I was working previously. We were guaranteed 40 hours a week and that was great. Unfortunately when I started I was too late to take advantage of the yearly raise. Shy of two weeks I think. They skipped raises in 2009 due to the economy and when we recieved raises in 2010 employees that had recently started and were performing lower than me recieved larger raises. Thanks for helping out with cost of living/inflation issues corporate. They also recently phased out quarterly bonuses. I guess we could only have one or the other.
RESPECT: In most cases, I felt respected by my co-workers and supervisors. One of the reasons I left the company was that I was very disrespected by my most recent coach and senior supervisors. They showed extreme favoritism and no desire to help develop me to what I wanted to become with the company. They made me feel that I had hit the ceiling and therefore lost my desire to succeed. Don't get me wrong, I can take accountability for my own actions, but after they had developed me for 6 months they basically dropped me like a bad habit. Right before I left I did change immediate supervisors and my new ones seemed great, unfortunately I had already made up my mind.
BENEFITS: The benefits were amazing. The coverage was almost what my parents were getting with the companies they have been with for decades. They cover medical, dental and vision and have flexible spending accounts and daycare reimbursment. They also have 401k and life insurance benefits. I do not have any complaints as they covered me through a lot of issues. In fact I am still covered through the end of the last month I worked which is above and beyond in my opinion.
JOB SECURITY: Some co-workers were under the impression that we were going to have layoffs. I never felt this pressure from the company. We were constantly reassured by the center manager that our jobs were never in jeopardy. In fact, they are constantly hiring and pushing through new hire classes. The only way one would feel insecure in their job would be if they were being rude to customers or avoiding calls. Even in these cases, T-Mobile gave them multiple chances to redeem themselves and were generally wanting you to keep your job.
WORK/LIFE BALANCE: One of the big things that T-Mobile tries to accomplish is a good work/life balance. It is something they try to make seem like something you can have. This is not really the case. If you are a full time entry level employee you accrue about 5 hours every two weeks in PTO. If you don't call in to work often, this will grow fast and you can take a week long vacation about every 16 weeks. Honestly, I haven't worked anywhere else that offered this so I do not know how that really compares to other places, but I didn't need to leave work on vacation much so most of the time, while planning far ahead, this was not an issue. Now if you called in EVER they would take out of the hours you have earned. Not only that but it would also hurt a statistic that is important called absenteeism. So you get a double whammy if you ever need to call in.
CARER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: They generally promote from within which is good since everyone from any experience level generally starts at level one. The only issue is if your immediate supervisors do not want to develop you, you don't have a shot to actually get anywhere. I expressed interest from day one in moving up because I did not want to be on the phones forever. Finally at my 3rd supervisor some interest was shown and I was able to work in a higher position along side my then current sup. This was the same one that lost interest 6 months later. So try to brown nose a bit and have good stats and more than likely you will be successful. Hopefully most people will not have the same issues I did.
LOCATION: The location was fine, fairly easy to get to. It was in a nice area and I never felt insecure.
CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: In general I loved my co-workers. The ones I worked directly with and saw daily were mostly sane and easy to deal with. Of course there are always some crazies and some people that are extremely high mainenance but they are everywhere. The people in other departments on the other hand tended to either not have any clue what was going on or not want to work with us at all. Being in technical support we had to communicate with both lower and higher tiers of support. Lots of the lower ones were outsourced and so they hardly spoke english, which is understandable but infuriated customers and frustrated us. Higher tiers were generally pricks. They did not enjoy helping our tier, who worked more directly with customers and issues, but liked to nit-pick our submissions for help from them. More than once I had to try and explain why they needed some completely non-related minute portion of data to the frustrated customer all while ensuring that they would eventually show some form of desire to help our paying customer. As for the supervisors, I have already stated that opinion.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The environment was fine. Fairly low key and laid back. One larger issue I realized I should have had was a promise that our out of date building was going to be semi-remodeled. This was supposed to happen in 2009. We heard towards the end of the year that this was not going to happen for a while and all we would get were some new hard chairs that caused back problems for many co-workers. If we broke a promise to this degree on a call we would be put on some form of final warning, but not our managers.

In general, T-Mobile was not a bad company to work for. There is just no way I could stay forever,

From Massachusetts — 02/18/2010

I am a 37 y.o Mom of a 4.5 yr old. I have worked for VZW as a sales rep, moved to Cingular/AT&T as a manager and then took time off to care for my daughter. I then went to T-Mobile as an Event Rep, Indirect. I LOVE my job. It's great pay, I get tons of help when I need it, it's flexible, and I am respected for my values and opinions. Do I ever have a nasty costumer? Of course... But thats in any retail job. The views here seem very childish indeed. You work hard, you earn great pay, the vacation time is unmatched as well as great benefits. For an ADULT - this place is great.

Best company I presonally have worked for.

From Beaumont, TX — 02/18/2010

I have been a Sales Rep for over a year now and love it. I'm in college for engineering, and with the connections I have made whilst working for the company, I have all but sealed the deal in the engineering dept. for T-mobile. MUST be energetic, and be able to adjust and overcome. I'm 21 making almost 5k a month as a full time student. Doesn't get much better than that. Get to play with the latest and greatest, carry whatever you want, flexible hours, and competition. I'm a techie and I LOVE knowing everything there is to know about any phone we carry. Wouldn't trade my job for anything.

From Orange, CA — 01/20/2010

I originally applied for a Assistant Manager position since my previous job (before my company did a huge lay off) was an Account Executive with my experience in sales over 15 years. I was told my the Market Manager Lisa Ton who covered the Orange County, CA area that I did not have enough "Retail" experience and that she felt more comfortable placing me in a Sales Position. A little background on her she formerly worked at Forever 21 as a Sales girl and moved her way up to manager which she did the same at T Mobile. I was placed at the Tustin and Orange store and worked under Manny Martinez and Christine the Assistant Manager. Nice people but I could never do it again! Full Time is really part time if you ask me and the hours of course since its retail were not pleasant. I managed to keep up my quota and win all contest involving actual sales goals and not raffles (which I seemed to never win). Right before I had left to a job more suitable for my background I had won another sales contest involving a Black Berry. Thatís when my real issues with the shady business there began. The phones are delivered to the store US mail in a single box with your name on it. Not T-mobile, Not the store manager or anyone else. I happen to leave about a week before my phone was delivered and when I called to find out when I could pick up my prize I had earned they said once you leave it is our property to be used in raffle prizes or to do what we want. I called Black Berry and they said it is in fact my phone and I have in writing from several higher ups there along with the BB representative from T Mobile that it does belong to me. The store manager Manny was not budging. It was his and Lisa Ton never returned any of my emails or calls on this. Oh well no use crying over old news. Either way its a fun job if you work with the right people. The commission and training is good, but sometimes it could be overwhelming when it was busy and excruciating when it was slow. Good job for high school kids but for people with office backgrounds and sales experience I would aim higher. Oh and make sure you stay until your prizes are actually in your hand. If not you can kiss them good bye.