Working at T.J. Maxx — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about T.J. Maxx pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at T.J. Maxx

From Woburn, MA — 08/24/2010

Pros: The people i work with are for the most part really awesome. A few of the managers make working there not so bad. It isn't hard work and it's easy to pick up on quickly. I like wearing a walkie. They will never make you work more than 5 hours and 45 minutes.

Cons: pay is awful. i feel like i work hard and have nothing to show for it. i'm glad i don't have regular bills to pay otherwise i'd be in way more debt than i already am. once i have to start paying off my student loans, i might need to start looking for a new job. the customers are savages! "oh hey, this shoe looks like it belongs on the floor and not on the shelf where i found it." "oh wow, let me just leave this huge pile of purses that i thought i wanted in with the men's shirts because that seems about right"....most of the managers are really nice but there's always one that will drive you nuts. CARDS CARDS CARDS. that is all this company cares about. HELLO? ITS CALLED A RECESSION. nobody wants a credit card unless they want to be in debt. it's annoying as hell. also, i shouldnt feel guilty when i want to ask for time off. although they are usually very accommodating, i am always a little panicked when i go in and fill out the sheet. THEY WON'T LET YOU WORK MORE THAN 5 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES. really? just because you dont want to give me a lunch break? i need money too. there are so many people that work here yet there are never enough people working at once! how is that possible?? I guess i could go on but i think everything has already been said before.

here's to the future.

From CA — 02/23/2010

I currently work at a Tj maxx in southern CA and i really like it. I do acknowledge that the pay isnt so great but as my first job its what i except. However im a sales associate and get paid minimum wage and i honestly do alot so much more than what 8h is given to me- i do cashier, fitting room,recovery,change features and shift stuff around,plus take out stuff from the back, and answer phone calls and work with customers, and know im being trained for jewlery. I honestly love my manager and assistent managers there very respectful and nice. They actually explain to you what should be done and if you have questions they will glady help you. It does get annoying though to ask every customer if they want to apply for a card but you have to because it is a must.

From utah — 02/13/2010

I worked for a really nice TJ maxx and enjoyed everything. Yes some days were stressful, but its retail, you sign up for it when you take the job. I was an assistant store manager of merchandising. I loved my DM!!