Working at SunTrust Bank — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about SunTrust Bank pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at SunTrust Bank

From Orlando — 05/16/2010

Continued Part 2

Benefits-
Benefits...Benefits...Benefits?
If you have a Job these days you should be glad, because are one of the "Lucky Ones"....
Location-
The building is located to far away from anywhere you would walk to, in and industrial area.

Job Security-
Having been with the Bank for so long I have seen other employees come in to work everyday, and then suddenly not be there any more. Then we are told by our Coaches (Supervisors) and Mangers that if we ask, talk or discuss it, then your are next, so to speak.
You'll often find out that the situation is something that could of be avoided with a "Little" understanding from "Management", but SunTrust Management only views you as a cog in "Their Machine" NOT a valued member of the work force; they can and will replace you, no matter what!
I have only witnessed one situation where a staff members had been fired, and it was all his fault, and that was a Supervisor who had slept with "several" of his own staff members.
Other than that there is no Job Security.

Co-worker Competence:
You're only as competent as the training you receive.
If you are in a situation where you don't have an answer and you need to know now, and you direct the question to Coach or a Manager, and they in-turn tell you to look it up (in best practices), then that is note a form of train, and you WILL go back with the wrong answer.
You may notice that Suntrust has Banks in lower income areas, this not because they are doing their part for the community (like they advertise), but because people with lower incomes overdraw their account more and can be CHARGED MORE FEES.
SunTrust calls itself a "Conservative Lender", which mean they will not give Loans or Mortgages to their clients in these lower income areas, only to people with high credit scores.
If you're looking to work for a company that treats you like a grown up, and understands that you may have outside interests like "A Family"; This is not the place for you.
You will get NO RESPECT, from Suntrust a Company, or from it's Management.
There is NO JOB SECURITY, they will replace you (Cos they can)
I hope that this is read by Suntrust Management.
You can catch more flies with Honey than with Vinegar.
If you treat you employees with some respect.....

HadEnough1900@Yahoo.com

From Atlanta, GA and Knoxville, TN — 03/23/2010

I am surprised at all the negative reviews. I have been with this company since 2008 and have had an excellent experience with plans to retire here. I have been promoted twice since I've been hired and have had awesome managers. During my pregnancy, the company was very accommodating, and even allowed me to make a seamless transition during my transfer from GA to TN. I believe the company has great leadership and like any other place, you have to go above and beyond to get noticed. The pay is what I expected and of course benefits can always be better. It does take up a LOT of your time, but I feel very secure in my job and have personally experienced growth and seen opportunities for advancement. If you want it you have to take it, and it's completely on you whether you want to move up or not. I started at the VERY bottom as a PT Teller and I've been moving upward ever since. At the end of day I think this is a great company to work for.

From Richmond, VA — 12/27/2008

I've been an employee with SunTrust Bank for over 8 years and can say I am very happy with my job. I'm in the Richmond Operations center, which while outdated is certainly adequate. Pay is weak but from what I hear in line with many bank jobs. I have a wonderful boss who is highly respectful as long as you play by the rules. The benefits are fine- now is a tough time for company matched stock but is to be expected. Considering the niche my job is, I feel somewhat secure even though other areas are being outsourced. So far they have been respectful of my work/life balance, but I am exempt so it's expected that I'll probably put in at least a few extra hours each week. As for career potential, I'd have to say it's very high *IF* you play your cards right. If you do something specialized, they'll basically put you in charge of it. I've received three promotions in the past 18 months. I live 2.5 miles from work so no complaints there. My coworkers seem competent enough, but their computer skills are weak.

The good work environment and I have mostly friendly coworkers.. just keep my distance from the crabby ones. I have to say that the bank has treated me pretty well. My advice to others- get a degree and get out of the teller line. You'll be much happier.

From Fort Lauderdale, FL — 09/16/2008

I was fortunate to have a great boss, and to work on a fun project. But my department was reorganized and consolidated at the central location in Atlanta right after I joined the company. I was not senior enough to be offered a relo.