Working at sunglass hut — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about sunglass hut pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at sunglass hut

From Miami, FL — 09/01/2010

I've been working at Sunglass hut for 7 months now and i work inside a macy's therefore i love it we usualllyy make goal and it is relatively busy enough to not hate your life.

Of course every retail job sucks in its own way, customers are assholes they always want everything free and don't understand why we dont replace their 100 dollar glasses for free when they are 5 years old. but nevertheless i like my job my managers are very nice and my schedule always fits well with my school schedule.

The worst part of the job is probably that you cant call offf, everr, in a store their is probably a max of 4 employees and if you call it off your basically screwing the store because it is nott easy finding someone to fill in.

If you want to apply to a kiosk in a dead mall DON'T i have had to work in kiosks and other malls that are not as busy as my homestore and it SUCKS. you are there for 7 hours alone waiting for either another person to come in or the store to close and you wait and watch as your life passe you by, you sit there begging for even the most annoying customer to come in because lets face it how many times can you clean the same mirror/glass

From mid-America — 03/08/2010

Great quality of life job for part time and management people. Great advancement. lots of the managers around here used to be part time. Pay rate is average but everyone can get commission on top of that. Not sure what paperwork that other person is talking about, but its really a minimal amount. Less than anywhere else I've worked. Yes you are by yourself a lot, but they tell you that up front. People in all the stores around us seem to have fun.

From VA — 03/07/2010

so ive worked at sgh for a year, i also go to school, this job works for me because when i need time off, its given. the pay is not the best however. i wish this company would give employees more, (other than pay, bigger discounts & prizes) anyways, Its a great part time / in school type job. The sunglasses sgh offers are not the best and some are way pricey. that sucks.

From california — 01/14/2010

i have worked in a family business all of my life, until i started going to college i let my parents know that i wanted to try out new things and what not. i applied at sunglass hut because i really wanted a retial job but one that i know i would have to dres nice for..i like jobs where i have to where nicer clothes. So i went for the interview, scored the 2nd interview with the regional manager and did great!

i have been with the company about 2 months or so, and i want to say that it is seriously one of THE best jobs ever! i know that i haven;t really worked anywhere else other than family, but all my freinds have a diverse selection of jobs and thay all are minimum wage jobs with NO benefits..we al worked for the holiday season, but the great part was that this was a premanent hire! and 20-35 hours a week and they started me off at a great level above minimum wage was amazing! not to mention this is a commission job plus great ebenefits offered thru the comapny..the discount is fair but the one that come every few months where you pay basically nothing is AMAZING!!!

they worked with my college schedule and never have me scheduled on the days i have classes. and i have church on sunday morning so if i am ever scheduled on sunday they made it no earlier than 2...and the trust factor in this job is sooo great, plus its like a huge family! all the stores in the region contact each other weekly and you get to meet and speak with lots of great people..its such a great plce to work. LUXOTICCA is such an amazing company..i can definaely see myself working here for a while..and getting put up for a raise in a few months is going to be double AMAZING...ahhh i love this job!!!

From new york — 12/07/2009

Love it they are a great company to work for and listen to us employees its great

From Florida — 11/16/2009

I have come from other companies that I have loved and also I have hated. Coming into SGH this past year, after losing my job due to the economy was scary. I loved what I did at my last job, I was a person whos voice mattered. It is tough coming into a new job, new career, starting over with new faces and not knowing what to expect. All I saw a glimpse of, was the joy that everyone had told me about.

I will say, I love a company who expresses their concerns for an employee who takes time to invest in the people they believe in because they know it will only push them further. I love the fact that they learn from their mistakes and is willing to take feedback to improve. Like when the idea of the Polo Shirt rolled out, they heard the feedback and were able to take it away and asked us EVERY day what could be done better.

I love the fact that newprograms for development are rolling out, based on IDEAS from associates. I love that they tell you to take your time off, and if you have a GOOD manager, RM, RVP, etc you will go places. Its unfortunate that some people who have posted here did not have strong mangers or good leaders or maybe they did, but had a negative outcome, because I love this company. Especially all that it encompasses.

From Florida — 11/12/2009

It is hard to rate some of these categories because I am at a Sunglass Hut in Macy's. Some of these reviews are really accurate but some I think are a bit exaggerated. The idea of the polo shirt was excellent I LOVED it but, the sayings on them however were totally inappropriate and I think Nowland was smart to get rid of them. I think their firing policy isn't that bad, you get several warnings before they actually let you go (unless it's something really bad). The opportunity for advancement in the company is pretty good. If you're good at your job, have good numbers and can get reccomendations then most of the time you will be promoted. But, God help you if you're assistant and the manager leaves without a replacement. You'll be hanging in the weeds for about...forever.
I don't like the emphasis they put on secret shops, that is one of my biggest problems. 90% of the shoppers are over 60 years old, and by the end of the shop they've usually forgotten your name and had to write it on the receipt therefore there are details on the shop that are incorrect. Sometimes they say you didn't do something when it's standard and you know you did (like the SRD). Plus shoppers can be really moody. They can come in having a bad day and totally wreck your shop which now a days gets you into a ton of trouble. They need to lower the emphasis on them because they're wack. Most of the time I get good scores so it's not really an issue area for me but I still think they're horrible. Plus, 9 times out of 10 you know they're a shopper half way through.
The pay is crap for part timers but I can imagine that it's crap for some management too. I don't think that raises should only be like $.25 when you've made thousands and thousands of dollars for the company.
Other than that it's a comfortable job, and I can tell you in my region when people leave, they ALWAYS come back. It's easy. You have your bad days and customers and coworkers can be shitty but other than that it's cake. Enjoy it while you have it because one day when you're at a different job you're going to be thinking back when one of your biggest worries was getting shipment out before you got the counts done.