Working at Subway — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Subway pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Subway

From Montana — 09/13/2010

Pay: Decent for what it was. College students started around $7. I was at $8.25 when I left after two years. I noticed that raises were only given when requested (via text to the owner) or through mandatory minimum wage changes. Tips were minuscule, but splitting $20 with your coworkers and having cash in your pocket is better than nothing. I feel that for the amount of independence we had, and sometimes the backbreaking work (truck day), we should have been paid a lot more.

Respect: From managers, not too bad. We communicated mostly through text messages and phones and the responded best they could. Whenever we weren't ignored, I think we felt ok with the level of respect we were granted. I rarely felt ridiculed or stupid from management. They pitched in when they were around and needed.

Benefits: Obviously, no medical care, but we had pretty free access to food on shift and on the way home, which, once again, is better than nothing. I stole a lot.

Job Security: I very rarely felt like my job was at stake. Sometimes, rumors were going around that someone was close to getting canned, but pretty much, if you did you came to work, didn't bother your coworkers enough to make them complain about you, and didn't steal hundreds of dollars, you were golden.

Work/Life Balance: Requests for time off were almost always honored. Switching with coworkers was easy. With a lot of coworkers from co-owned stores, there was a big pool of people to ask for favors from. When slow toward the end of a shift, you could usually leave without management's permission if your coworkers didn't mind. Shifts were pretty flexible, but you often stayed either on day or night shifts, so once on that weekend/closer shift, don't expect to get out.

Career Potential/Growth: Not much. If you stay long enough, you can get small raises and responsibilities (burdens), but the whole time I was there, no one got any higher than entry level crew person. But that's what you'd expect from this job. My main complaint was that it was hard to get full-time hours. I asked for full time hours just to make rent, and I rarely got more than 35 hours. Great for part time students, but really hard to make a living.

Location: Great. I could drive, walk, bike or bus to work. Busy street, nice regulars, building a bit dirty but whatever. My owner had a total of 3 locations, and I was able to access all of them easily when asked to work at other stores.

Co-workers: Mostly great. Always a few people who have lazy days where they just sit and complain. The store I worked at was full of college-age students who'd worked there for months so far, so they knew what to do and generally did it. I made a lot of friends at Subway. The "lifers" were the older people who didn't fit in the college-student age range and were picky.... but since they were lifers, they did the work in case you were willing to piss them off and let them do it all.

Work Environment: Except for constantly broken machinery and the smell and heavy bags of trash and always standing, just fine.

Obviously, I had a good experience at this job and kept it for 2 years. I was just about done of dealing with customers, running out of bread, and the BOREDOM by the time I left. I would still be there if I hadn't gotten another job.

From Ohio — 07/02/2010

Pay: Can't complain. I was hired at minimum wage in early 2006. Although I only make 8% more than the current state minimum wage, my hourly rate has increased 55% percent since I began working there. Although this was a mix between merit raises and mandated minimum wage increases, please realize that forced wage increases greatly affect the ability of small business owners to reward their employees through pay. This is especially true considering how net sales have been affected since the introduction of the tiered menu prices (which reduced the price of most of our items offered for sale).

Work/Life Balance: We all make our own schedule. Request Offs are always granted if placed before the schedule is posted.

Respect: Coworkers respect each other greatly. Some of the Field Consultants are a bit out of touch with the real world and may sound like a broken record reciting the dictionary, but as long as the on duty person in charge really knows the operational procedures, they'll be able to utilize the few 'sh*t happens' clauses to smooth things over.

Career Potential/Growth: If the owner only operates a few franchises, store manager is as high as you're going to get because the owner can handle a majority of their 'empires' load. Once an owner operates around 8+ stores, they may need general managers, etc. Ask about career growth during your interview and don't expect anything more than what they offer.

Benefits: None offered when I began they still aren't. I got what I expected. We do receive pay bonuses for going out of our way to help the store, completing optional training programs, and store 'parties' when we ace evaluations.

Location: 10 minutes away from my home.

Job Security: Show up on time, don't call off with short notice unless it is a true emergency, work to your fullest potential, and you'll be fine. Hours may be reduced across the board in the winter months, but as long as you show you can't be easily replaced next spring with someone new, you will be retained

Co-worker Competence: You'll get your occasional idiot in any entry level job. If their unable to live up to the examples their coworkers create, they'll eventually be let go. If the examples are poor.. well, it'll be a never ending cycle.

Work Environment: The customers will really test your patience. Just remember that your job is to get people in and out as fast as possible with a product you would be willing to pay for yourself. Don't try to educate them, don't try to one up them, don't try to prove yourself to them.

From Edgewood, NM — 06/30/2010

Subway was my first job, honestly I have loved it more than any other since. It was simple work, I had the best, nicest crew in the whole world. Of course we had a little turn over like any other place but that just happens. My location had two different owners over the years I worked there and both were absolutely awesome. Great regular customers.

Cons:Nothing quite like the smell subway left on the uniform...
Pros:At least it wasnt grease.

For my experience I would reccommend it to anyone!

From Michigan — 05/17/2010

I worked for 5 different Subways all under the same owner. I've been there for just over a year and i already make $10 an hour. While at the same time I'm going to college and living my life. I don't plan on being there for very long but thats only because I'm almost done with college. If anything working under my owner has been nothing but fun. He's a nice guy and he's very fair.I can work at any store i want to which helps cause I'm only a few min away from two stores. I only have a problem with a few of his employees but thats not really a big deal cause they're just a bunch of morons. We get yearly raises based on how we work for the previous year. The best part is you can get all the hours you want. In one week i worked over 60 hours just to save some money up for a trip. One problem I have is that you can almost never call off of work cause you have to find someone to cover your shift which could be damn near to impossible cause no one ever wants to work on their day off. I've gone to work so sick that i couldn't really move and actually had to have the manager work for me. (She really didn't like it but she did anyways) Overall its a fun job and a lot of fun. Its good to work at if your going to college.

From Illinois — 01/11/2009

Pay: i dont know about the other people posting, but honestly what kind of money do you expect to be making at a fast food place? you get minimum wage. deal with it.
Respect: i had a great manager there who treated me very well.
Beneits: there are none but i didnt need it as a part time worker.
Job Security: show up where you are supposed to and work hard, you'll be fine.
Work/Life Balance: i was only part time and always out by atleast 10:30 so it never put a damper on my social life.
Career Potential/Growth: you could become a manager i suppose but it never interested me.
Co-worker Competence: as with any job some of my co-workers were great, others not so great.
Work Environment: the work isnt hard at all, only if you're short handed during a busy time. customers can be real idiots.. other than that its all good.