Working at Stop and Shop — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Stop and Shop pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Stop and Shop

From Jackson, NJ — 05/19/2010

I've worked for S&S for many years in different stores,and I can say that this location is the best so far. While I have no desire to make this my primary career, I've seen many people move up who wanted to go into management positions. The pay isn't great, but at least the store manager knows who you are and talks to you like a person. Very high level of respect from the managers in the store, so it makes it a nice place to work. They create a very flexible schedule for us, so if you need time off for anything, all you have to do is ask in advance. The benefits aren't great, as it is all dictated by a union contract.

From ct — 01/01/2010

I'm a full time college student and work here cashiering on weekends. It's not bad at all. Of course it's not my life long career path, but it's an easy job, low key, close to home, and I like being part of a union. Time and a half on Sundays and holidays is amazing. Management isn't bad and for the most part are respectful. Not a bad part time job at all.

From new jersey — 05/27/2009

Nice people but do not understand how to work hard.
Pay could be better.
Benefits take to long to kick in.
To move up in this company you have to be liked by management.

From westborough ma — 01/18/2009

I worked part-time for Stop and Shop as a cashier/bagger, sometimes facing aisles, et cetera. The pay was terrible, but it isn't brain surgery so I cannot complain about that. The problem was I already worked a full-time job and was just too tired to commit to 5-11 pm 4 nights per week on top of my day job. The manager and other cashiers were very friendly and all were competent--they were very kind and understanding when I advised them I was sorry I just couldn't do it. I would say the only drawback was dealing with the occasional snotty customer. While most people are courteous and receptive to courtesy, there are a few who really make it hard to be pleasant because they are so obnoxious. The location was ideal, not five minutes from my day job. I still shop at this Stop and Shop and the one in the town where I live. I think they are a good store.

From Dorchester, MA — 11/20/2008

This was my first real job working part time as a bagger during high school. the pay pretty much minimum wage but then again what do you expect when your just starting in the work force with little to none experience. for the most part my managers repected me, pretty much due to the fact they were around or close to my age. didnt really have any benefits because i was a part timer. job security was actually good. you would have to have done something really outrageous in order to be fired. work life was good also. i pretty much had a set schedule every week. working 3-4 days a week on the selected days i chose. it was very rare that they would call me on my day off to come in. they did on a lot of occasions asked me if i could stay till closing. career growth wasnt really possible because higher up positions were all ways full. the location was a bit out of the way. i usually always was dropped off and never took the bus there due to there only being one bus that drops you off there and it never really ran on time. as for the neighborhood, it was in a good neighborhood. so rarely we would get some weirdos. co-worker competence was good due to the fact that most people that worked there was still in school. the work environment was great. co-workers were fun to be around and management was pretty laid back on what we could and couldnt do. letting a lot of things slide. overall it was a great first job to start with. the only bad thing is that your on your feet for the entire shift. it was an exhausting job but i had fun doing it and didnt mind doing it.

From RI and NY — 07/14/2008

This is one of those hit and miss jobs depending on where you're located and what you get transferred around as. I started as a lowly bagger but have worked my way up through department manager, partly due to luck, but also skill. If you do your job right and fast you will be rewarded and progress. However, the only thing is in order to move up amongst the departments you must do your time on the overnight shift most of the time... the job itself was great, easy enough, but fast pased and the people were great. Hours sucked though.

As far as pay and job security...union worker, enough said