Work at State Farm Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about State Farm Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at State Farm Insurance

From Mid west — 10/04/2007

I spent over 15 years working for State Farm in a variety of job capacities. I left the company only because I had an opportunity that I could not pass up. If my current job situation does not work out for me, I will go back. The pay, benefits and co-workers I feel are unsurpassed. The only draw back with State Farm is mobility. The insurance market is highly competative and every company is looking for a way to gain an advantage. I have friends that work for every company (major players) and they all go thru the same things as State Farm but on different levels. The one thing about State Farm is this, it is very difficult to get hired by them and it is difficult to get laid off. Working for such a large company like SF offers a wide variety of job careers that most people could not even imagine. You would have no dead end career. I worked out in the field out of my house doing Fire claims. Enjoyed the job. I also spent 12 years working in an office both field and regional office. Enjoyed those work environments as well.
There is no doubt I would recommend working for State Farm. Your career aspirations can be meet only if your willing to work hard and make the sacrafices.

From Houston, TX — 05/16/2007

State Farm is the #1 auto insurance carrier for one reason, the company philosophy and the people who work there. Yes, you make $35k as a starting claim representative job, but depending when you start, you can get a raise after being with the company just 6 months. I have been employed 15 yrs with State Farm. I make $70k/yr as a claims representative and I always make more than my base salary due to the fact I generally incur overtime while working catastrophe claims. Our raises range from 3% - 15%. Most people on the low end get 5%; on average 8% raises are not unusual. I don't know too many insurance companies who pay that! No company is perfect. You will always have people who complain. The work can be hectic (that is the nature of handling claims), but my coworkers make it worthwhile. It is very hard to get fired. The job stability is great. You can have a great career potential if you are willing to move. Just like in any company, if you want to stay stagnant in your same position for ever, then you will not have a lot of job growth. State Farm offers the ability to work a 4x10 workday. Part-time employment is a posibility, but most people do not use it. Company gives matches for the 401(k) plans, great benefits and you cannot beat the job security. Overall, it is a great place to work.

From New York — 03/07/2007

Great company to work for. Great work/life balance. The company really cares about their employees. Pay can always be better. Only downfall, need to be mobile to be a manager.

From Houston, TX — 01/14/2007

STATE FARM CLAIMS....The Good Neighbor....Constantly Helping People Recover From the Unexpected (MVA's, Extreme Weather, etc. etc. etc...Read the ratings, especially the consumer satisfaction surveys. We arethe largest P&C insurer in the US because of our commitment to our policyholders is why we are who are we are and do what we do. Just ask the people affected by Hurricanes in 2005. Talk about some thankful folks....I helped many of them. Nevermind the friends of Senator Trent Lott in Mississippi who can't and refuse to accept the fact the Homeowners Policy IS NOT A FLOOD POLICY. State Farm is #1 and will remain #1 because WE PAY WHAT WE OWE...WHEN WE OWE IT !!!!