Working at State Farm Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about State Farm Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at State Farm Insurance

From Fort Lauderdale, Florida — 08/21/2010

From Fort Lauderdale, Fl ó 08/21/2010
State Farm has been a great opportunity for me and many others on the agency side. We donít work in the corporate offices but work in smaller offices throughout the country. Life all jobs you have to want to be there. You have to like what you are doing. The company has great resources to help the agency side of the business. The support staff are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. They are willing to go out of their way to help you succeed, to teach you, or to help you with a problem. While the insurance industry in Florida is difficult because of political problems, State Farm has worked hard to stay in Florida to be there for their policyholders. We are working harder and smarter to keep up with the changing world, the failing economy and market challenges. But this comes with most companies. The company has given me the opportunity to make a nice living, to learn more, to work with amazing co workers, to help and get to know the clients and has provided me with the amazing opportunity to work with the number one insurer in the nation. State Farm clients get to deal with a real person, not a call center. While every job has it challenges, jobs such as mine also provide security, flexibility and nice work environment where I am able to run out to do an errand, grab a coffee or go to the bank. I have always been treated kindly and have enjoyed where I work. Thanks and good luck to all of you.

From California — 08/04/2010

Wow! You guys must be crazy. 19+ year employee and absolutely love the company! They have allowed me to work in many departments and promotions are available for those willing to work and be flexible. I make more salary than any of my friends (except doctors and small business owners) and have never had to worry about being layed off.

One person wrote about working for an Agent, but Agents are not employees of the company and neither are their staff.

So many people left State Farm when the economy was booming and went to medical and mortgage companies. They are all crawling back now.

From PA — 04/22/2010

Been with the company 20 yrs and like most large companies have seen good and bad. It is an ethical company with its clients needs in mind but it is slow moving and old school. Do they have part-time? No. Do they job-share? No. Ultimately not very family friendly.

From California — 11/06/2009

A great company to work for.

I worked there for almost 8 years and miss the place as I work my way through other companies in the industry. The only downside on the property claims side is the separation into units which handle claims both inside and outside. Back in the day, all property claims except for minor ones were handled in the field. That was good for the insured's and good for the claim representative too (lot of flexibility). Now, only the large loss and task people go outside. That is a shame. Eventually they will go back to having one claim rep handle the loss from start to finish, which is what insureds like.

Pay took some time to rise, but when it did, it went up fast. Raises were often in the range of 8-10% a year.

Benefits were very good, and the sick time is unreal. When I left I had something like 150 sick days a year. That's not a misprint. Naturally you couldn't use them all without some fallout, but employees at State Farm have no complaints on the number of sick days given!

Co-worker competence is good for the most part. State Farm did hire many new people to staff the inside jobs, with corresponding learning curves, but most people are good at what they do. Management is generally good. And generally they do look out for you. Not because they like you, or because they want to, but because that is the State Farm culture -- take care of your own.

The only downside would be for those interested in moving up the ladder to management. Because people rarely leave the company, and they never lay anybody off, there is little room to move up absent somebody dying.

From Jacksonville, fl — 10/15/2009

I used to work here and left for more pay... what a mistake! This company has deep values, and truly cares about the wellbeing of their employees, and the community.

From Jacksonville, FL — 04/28/2009

Applied for Powercall central rep and SFPP rep. Powercall was full so I took other position. Pay was about right for my position. I thought the pay benefits balance was right on. You have to work really hard at it to be fired. Like any other job there were those who complained all the time. I just ignored them. You can't run the company from day 1. My only problem was taking the job and having to commute daily. After 6 months I left because my commute was too expensive and I wasn't quite able to move yet. The position I took after leaving was with a health insurance company in my area. They paid me a bit more and even gave me a raise after 3 months. They also taught me the meaning on unprofessional behavior. For instance, I had a trainer who refused to answer questions. Let's just say I'm running back to Statefarm where I should have stayed. I just tested for a Cat Rep position and am waiting for my interview to be scheduled this week. Money is nice but I really liked the people and hope to come back ASAP.

From Atlanta, GA — 02/05/2009

PAY: I have been with State Farm for 19 years and have worked in several different states. I can tell you that our pay is very competitive and the company always strives to make sure our pay is competitive. In fact, other companies have tried to lure me away and when I tell them what I make, they tell me to stay where I am and they can't come anywhere near what I make.
RESPECT: I know people that work for other insurance companies, people that have left State Farm to work for other companies and most come back because they hate where they work and realized how good they had it at State Farm.
BENEFITS: are good. Medical, Dental, 401K, pension, Life. Our 401K does not match dollar for dollar so I don't think its the best out there.
JOB SECURITY: State Farm has never laid off workers. We have 'reorganized' several times since I've worked there but everyone is always offered a job. A job is there if you're flexible and willing to relocate.
WORK/LIFE BALANCE: I work in claims. Work/life balance is an issue for some; however, the company does try it's best to accomodate everyone's needs depending on business need. I actually worked part time for about a year and then went full time again.
CAREER GROWTH: the company focuses on insurance education (CPCU, CLU). In order to move up you have to be mobile to other states/zones. State Farm does a very good job with developing their employees. A lot of time is spent with initial training. We have a reputation in the industry as having one of the best training programs.
LOCATION: we have operation centers all over the country.
Co-Worker Competence: as in any other job, you have people who are workers and those that just get by to get a pay check.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: is very good. We have adjusters who work in the field and those who work in an in-office enviornment.

From CA — 10/09/2008

The best insurance company to work for.

From Sacramento — 08/22/2008

I've worked over 20 years for State Farm Insurance and I agree with what others have stated, without a college degree they will not promote you. However, this company has so much to offer, excellent pay, great time off policies(vacation, sick leave, personal time off) and relocation pay. The company is constantly changing as it should be, the consumer expects service 24/7 and call centers are here to stay. One area I feel they should improve on is their management structure, they currently have too many levels. For instance in the claims department management is as follows: Team Manager; Section Manager; Claims Manager; VP. The Claims Manager position should be eliminated as they just slow things down. This company isn't perfect but I'm proud to be an employee!

From Bloomington, IL — 04/25/2008

I interned at State Farm Headquarters and it was a dream come true. It's hard to get in the company. From my experience, they hire from within. The pay as an intern was better than I'm finding in a premanate professional position elsewhere. From day one, I was treated as an equal to the communications veterans. At the time, I didn't have a family of my own but witnessed the State Farm's high value of the work/life balance. I can realate to other's reviews that it's who you know that will make the difference and help you along the hierarchy. Also, the pre-employment test was hard. Fifty percent fail. It was tough being around all the other interns who did well and were offered a position in the department where they interned. My co-workers were very supportive and friendly. The communications VP was interested in what I had to say. Birthdays were recognized and potlucks were held regularly in the office. It was a great summer!