Working at Starwood Hotels — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Starwood Hotels pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Starwood Hotels

From United States — 06/05/2009

As far as hotel companies go Starwood hotels and resorts is one of the better hotel companies to work. I don't think I would consider working for another hotel company. It is not an easy industry and if you can't cope with a lot of change, you might need to change industries or hotels and not hotel companies. In a well run managed hotels within Starwood Hotels I don't think you can find a better organization for hotel companies. The Branding and Service Culture Training at Starwood is first class and they do a great job with product inovation. The Brands in their portfolio are the best in the industry. I think alot of work life balance issues are be based on what department you work in or your direct boss, but the company does put focus on fitting the person to the job not the job to the person. In my expereience if you don't feel in balance with your home work life you should change jobs or you need to talk with your supervisor about your needs. There is a huge focus on creating a healthy culture that continues to evolve and grow. The overall Benefits are very good except the health benefits but it is sad that they are somewhat equal to what the industry offers. Starwood growing and opening lots of hotels in the next few years and adding brands so if you can relocate and are dedicated to growing within the company the sky is the limit, but moving can be challenging to home work life balance. I work with some of the best people the industry has to offer. Job security if good if you are good and have a good attitude.

From White Plains, NY — 01/23/2009

In many ways, this is a good organization. There are high quality people working there, and people like what they do and work hard to create a good product with high level service. However, the senior leaders are sooo disfunctional. There is a new CEO about every 2-3 years (sometimes more frequently), and then much of the top management changes as well. This creates inconsistency in vision, strategy, execution and aligment. Many of the top leaders don't play well together (not surprisingly), and this creates a lot of tension below them, and huge turf wars. So, a lot of the categories above are good. It is mostly the senior leadership that needs some major adjustments.