Working at Starbucks — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Starbucks pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Starbucks

From Vienna, VA — 04/20/2009

I worked for Starbucks from 02-07 and it was the best experience of my life. My boss was awesome and made sure i was taken care of paywise- and even before him my other supervisors always made sure i was paid for the effort i put in on a daily basis.
Point being- at Starbucks if you work hard you get rewarded- period. Which- is NOT the way things have been for me since and i miss it desperately. At Starbucks there's alot of emphasis put on treating other partners with respect- and you can say what you want about "lip service" but it definitely improves the work environment when people put forth an effort- genuine effort or not.
I can't really comment on the health benefits, I was on my husband's plan, but there's nothing like free coffee all day that doesn't taste like dirty water.
At the time my job was very secure- I know that has changed- but i know for a fact that many vps got very creative with job qualifications and titles to keep their people employed.
I worked constantly when i was there but that was because i wanted to and felt passionate about i did. it wasn't a bad thing.
overall it was an amazing place- the ultimate work environment- and i want to cry in my folgers every day i spend at my !@#$ job that i have now. which sucks- but anything would suck in comparison to starbucks.

From Elk Grove, CA — 02/18/2009

I've worked for starbucks for almost 8 years. I notice people complaining about micromanaging. Honestly I could write a book about the positives and negatives about starbucks, but in the end this company has raised me to who I am today. I have learned discipline, responsibility, delegation, multi-tasking, team work, leadership courage, patience, and much much more. The negative experiences that everyone speaks of comes from their own hands. At Starbucks you are given all the resources and more to better your own personal learning to make you a great barista, person, and overall customer service rep. When you don't take all of that into your own hands with ownership then that's when you start becoming accountable for the job skill that you cannot or do not perform. Those people are either not cut out for starbucks or are just plain lazy. It's that you choose to not perform the tasks that you are in fact PAID to do. All of the job responsibilities that are expected of everyone is no surprise as you are givin many pages of those expectations in which you sign and agree to. I think people think being a STARBUCKS barista is an easy job. Well, it' not. If it looks easy it's because you are seeing people who are good at that job and who have taken it seriously-even during hard times. They make that job look alot easier then it is. So back to the micromanaging comments. Managers have one of the hardest jobs to perform. They have to train people from scratch, maintain a profitable store (and this means sooooo many things), as well as hold people accountable. I will have to say that there are stores who have managers in them who should not even be with starbucks. So if you get stuck with a store like that then tactfully get out of that situation. Don't blame starbucks because a bad seed slipped through the cracks out of 150,000 partners. Each Starbucks manager is also accountable for their store as if it were their own business. Therefore they need to ensure the right people are working there and performing the standards correctly-as they also agreed to this to. And believe me when I say most people out there portray themselves as a saint when they are trying to get the job. But when they get hired it's a whole other story. So we get rid of those fakes. Overall I love this company. I believe you make the experience what it is. They set you up for success, but where you take it from there is your own personal doing. So be responsible and take accountablitiy for your own screw ups.

From Seattle, WA — 12/04/2008

Starbucks is a fortune 500 company that actually cares about its partners (employees) The benefits are amazing and while no one is ever truly happy with how much they make I am supporting myself without any major problems with what I make. The company is going through a rought time right now but they will get through it and come out on the other end bigger, stronger and overall better than before. I have been with the company for three years and plan on staying with them. I want my career to be with this company.

From Miami, FL — 12/04/2008

Alrighty then...

Position: Barista

PAY: Here at Miami, starts at 7.15 an hour. But you also get tips, which (in general) can range from $1 to $3 (an hour), and soar to $4- $4.50 on holidays. THIS ALL DEPENDS ON THE LOCALE WHICH YOU WORK IN! However, my store is *dead* and I make about $10/hour overall. Not bad at all for making coffee. *3*

RESPECT: Many customers are what some may consider an utter pain in the neck. However, people eventually warm up to people who treat them well. It's a cycle of sorts. As for employees, there is no drama/ disrespect in my store, but I've heard some nasty stuff from other stores. It's still retail; what do you expect? *2*

BENEFITS: This is where Starbucks shows it's awesome side. Medical, dental, vision, 401k,(after 3 months, 20 hours/week), tuition reimbursement (Starbucks-related class, after 6 months, based on grades), free stock options (after 1 year, no hour requirement), 30% any Starbucks items and merch (immediately, no hour requirement), also, many little discounts from other companies. The winner here is health insurance for part-timers. SWEET! *5*

JOB SECURITY: Unless you are a total idiot, you should not have ANY problems holding on to this job. That is... no attitude issues, no stealing, no skipping work, you get the idea. It's kinda hard to let go of someone for performance/lack of sales only. (After, it costs alot to train one of you guys.) *5*

WORK/LIFE BALANCE:You get days of for asking at least 2-3 weeks in advance. There is an optimized scheduling system; however, web-based scheduling comes out in summer 09. Until then, scheduling is not perfect. *3*

CARRER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: You get what you put in. Being excellent at one thing will not get you promoted; you must demonstrate above-average everything. Then again, Starbucks hire people for being above average at everything, so if you're working there... *3*

LOCATION: My store is dead compared to others, so it is all good... I do nothing all day and get paid for it... yet the McDonald's next to my store is out the door all day... isn't life funny?! Be forewarned, however; several stores are so busy, it is NOT funny. Take a good look at the store before you apply there... c'mon, it's common sense, really! *5*

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: Completely varies from store to store. Like in the respect field, my coworkers are good here. I've also heard some bad stuff here. *3*

WORK ENVIRONMENT: Do not let looks decieve you. Beside being a cool coffeehouse, Starbucks can get really rackety and dirty, QUICK.
My store is the exception once again (see LOCATION), but it is not immune to this happening. *4*

OVERALL: Be nice, and this job will be nice in so many ways. Good Luck! *4*

From Nicholasville, KY — 12/03/2008

I am a barista at Starbucks and this is the job I am evaluating. The pay at Starbucks is pretty low--even for the industry in which it exists. However, tips are generally high, bringing it to nearly industry average. Pretty much everything else makes up for it, though. Respect is high from supervisors, coworkers, and customers. The only disrespect received is by the occasional customer, but I don't think that reflects Starbucks so much as it does consumer culture in general. Benefits are awesome. The insurance is fantastic and I've been trying to get sick so I can actually use it. Job security is pretty good, but not substantially different than other jobs in the industry. I will say that managers typically do care about the needs of their employees so I don't think Starbucks would fire people abitrarily. The work-life balance is probably the best thing about Starbucks. Starbucks encourages their employees not only to become better workers, but also better people. I can set my own hours and therefore am inclined to work more efficiently and enjoyably while I'm there. The potential for career growth is fairly better, I would say, than other companies in the industry. I work with people that have just recently been promoted to supervisors and store managers. With a fair amount of commitment, higher level management can be easily attained. The location of my Starbucks (as many) has its pros and cons. My starbucks is in a town with a population of about thirty thousand--a testament to the abundance of Starbucks that have been built. I think Starbucks has quite possibly overextended itself. I grew up with the closest Starbucks 40 miles away, so it was a treat to go. I think, in its expansion, its lost some of its prestige. However, it does give many more people who would otherwise not be exposed to Starbucks the opportunity to enjoy it. My co-workers are nearly all competent and hard-working. They all care about their job and the people they work with. The atmosphere at Starbucks deserves a rating even greater than 5. It is almost like not working. Starbucks creates an environment in which, for the most part, the supervisors, baristas, and customers are all on the same level--just a group of people hanging out together and enjoying fresh coffee. We're encouraged--even expectated--to sample the products ourselves and share them with customers. When Starbucks is packed, there is some of the typical restaurant 'rush', but for the most part, the more the merrier. A rush at Starbucks is a party. I've tried to be as objective as possible, but I love working for Starbucks. If I could make fifty thousand a year instead of fifteen thousand, I could be a barista for the rest of my life.

From Las Vegas, NV — 11/26/2008

So, the reason i've reviewed SBUX so high is because of how well each "partner" is treated. Overall every employee of starbucks are well treated and benefits are plentiful. Now, it also varies from store to store. The morale of the store can be REALLY HIGH while the customer flow is lacking.

I have been in 4 starbucks locations but moved a total of 6 times. Each store is different. Each manager is different. My last store, the manager was a nightmare. She didn't respect anyone, kept making excuses, and didn't stick up for her partners if customers were unruly.

Now, i'm with my favorite store and everyone is wonderful. Our whole store moved to a brand new store and everyone is excited.

As far as why I have picked the high scores is because of the overall satisfaction I have of SBUX. There's been only once where i've wanted to quit and it wasn't even because of my working there. I love working for starbucks. The job security is great. Someone said earlier that it's pretty hard to get fired as long as you do your job correctly and don't do major things like mishandling money.

Now, my biggest complaint right now is the work/life balance. Starbucks is now going on this route of fixed schedules. While that's awesome, it also makes for difficult times for people who can only work 1-3 a week. SBUX is eliminating those that work less than "normal". They are making a "true" full time/part time position. Part timers are now required to work 20 hrs a week and be available for 30 hours a week in order to stay on board.

IMHO it's stupid because it eliminates people who love starbucks but just can't work that many hours. Also it hurts those who are going to school because of schedule conflicts. The pro is those who are more dedicated to starbucks will have an easier time getting enough hours for insurance and other benefits.

Co-worker and work environment vary from store to store, but in my store it's nice the dynamic is family like and all of our regulars are awesome people. We get the obligatory rude snooty people but who doesn't? just gotta deal.

anyway, SBUX is awesome. FORTUNE 100!

From Northbrook Court, IL — 10/17/2008

I worked for Starbuck's a few years ago as a part time employee.

The pay is very basic. Slightly above minimum wage.

Respect- I'm a bit conflicted with this question & here's why... My manager was fantastic as were all but one of my co-workers. The assistant manager was an absolute nightmare to us & was always on some kind of insane power trip. She was the reason several of us left & the following week she was fired. Respect from customers was nonexistant. I agree wholeheartedly with other responders on this issue.

Benefits could not be beat. This was the very reason I worked there in the first place.

Work/life balance was great. I had another job while working here & I was always scheduled fairly.

Career potential/growth- My objective was not to necessarily make a career out of this, so I really cannot answer this question.

Location- There are Starbuck's on every corner.

Co-worker competence- Refer to my explanation on respect.

Work environment- We had a tiny, mall location so it was very cramped. The big issue was that at least once a week my store had issues with the plumbing & it stunk like sewage.

From Austin Tx — 10/11/2008

Starbucks Is an Awesome place to work. Everyone that works at my store is like a big family. We always hang out and have fun in work. PLus cant beat the pay and the benifits.

From Tucson, Arizona — 08/28/2008

Pay: The only reason why I chose a -4 rather than a -5 (and the pay is awful, believe me) is because I don't feel like the work is really challenging enough to warrant a fat paycheck. Do a monkey's work and you get a monkey's paycheck. I started at a measley $6.75 per hour and (get this) three and a half years later only found myself making $8.07. Lame.

Respect: I think this really varies store to store. I always felt respected by my manager and co-workers. Can't say the same about the customer who needs EXACTLY 5 ice cubes in her latte. I mean honestly, this probably varies store to store too but some of the customers are so bad it's almost FUNNY.

Benefits: I appreciate the fact that Starbucks offers them for part-timers. Never used them myself though so I can't really comment further.

Job-security: I've seen it go both ways. In some cases, you REALLY have to screw up to be let go. But in the end, you're VERY replaceable, and I've seen people dropped like a hot potato over the STUPIDEST things.

Work/life balance: Very good. This category warrants my highest rating. I had this job throughout college, which worked out well because you really can set your own schedule. Oh, and of course you don't have to "bring work home" because the job is mindless to begin with! You barely have to bring work to work!

Career potential: None. Period. Unless you want to toil away for 7 or 8 years in an effort to become a big, bad store manager making $35,000 per year or whatever. And from what I've seen, forget about making it into the upper echelons of the company. Start off in a store, stay in a store for the rest of your freaking life. I've Never known even the best managers (mine being one of them) to get promoted past that level.

Location: There are so many Starbucks stores this usually isn't a problem for people.

Co-worker Competence: I was lucky, I live in a college town so most of mine were bright college students. It's the uneducated Starbucks "lifers" you have to worry about.

Work environment: Most stores are very clean, attractive and comfortable to work in. Never had a problem here and could often be found hanging out at my place of employment on my days off, reading or working on my computer.

From Denver, CO — 07/16/2008

Pay: Starbucks doesn't pay much. Baristas in my area tend to start at $7.50/hour, which isn't much considering minimum wage in Colorado is $7.02. After 6 months, however, you're bound to get a review/raise where you'll probably be making $8.25/hour. Shift supervisors make slightly more than that, but not enough to justify the increase in tasks that go with the territory. Baristas also get tips which can range from $10-$60 per week. It really just depends on the location of the Starbucks--busier stores get more tips.

Respect: If we're talking about respect from customers, this would be a much lower number. Some of the "regulars" are great, but then there are those who come in and freak out when they ordered a coffee with "half a packet of sweet and low" and you accidentally put in 3/4 of a packet. Respect from the managers and district managers puts this at a higher number. Starbucks, overall, shows a decent amount of respect for their employees. In fact, it's written in their policies to treat others with respect and dignity.

Benefits: This is the one area I think Starbucks really shines compared to other companies. Not only do full timers enjoy health benefits, 401K, and stock sharing, but so do part time employees. I have great health benefits, even working 25 hours a week. We also get free drinks on the job, sampling of food, discounts at all stores, free coffee, and a lot more. Starbucks really takes care of its employees in this area.

Job Security: My store has a very high turn over rate (considering fired employees as well as those who quit). But I think this can be said about other stores in general, not only Starbucks. It takes a lot to get in trouble, but when you do there isn't a lot of tolerance because they can quickly find someone just like you who is willing to do the same job you did.

Work/Life Balance: I think one of the primary reasons so many young people work at Starbucks stores is because you can balance work/life/school/etc. Because Starbucks is open so long during the day, you can pick your schedule. For example, I am a PM worker because I can't wake up in the mornings.

Career Potential/Growth: There isn't much career potential here, unless you plan on becoming a manager and then a district manager.

Location: Considering there is a Starbucks every 100 yards, the location is pretty convenient for most employees.

Co-Worker Competence: Most of the people who work at Starbucks are either college graduates, or are going to college. Sure, you have the occasional high school kid, but he never lasts that long anyway. I have a college degree and I work at Starbucks. Mostly it's just a job until you find that "career" job.

Work Environment: The work environment is pretty nice. It's clean and it smells good. Sure, you go home smelling like coffee and chocolate... but I'd rather smell like coffee than cigarettes and beer... or even worse--grease.

Overall, Starbucks is a pretty good company. There are obviously no long term careers, unless you plan on just being a manager, but for the short term it's a decent job. In fact, some people DO love it so much that they make a lifelong "career" out of "just a job." It is fun, but it can get stressful at times, but that's mostly thanks to some extremely impolite customers.

*** If you're reading this and you're a Starbucks customer... please tip. You would tip your bartender--the guy who makes your drinks to your liking--so what's the difference with a Barista?