Work at Starbucks — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Starbucks pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Starbucks

From Burien, WA — 03/01/2010

Overview-
Overall, this is a good company to work for and it looks great on your resume! Having been out of the company for five years, I have had many interviews where the interviewers were impressed that I worked for Starbucks. Starbucks is one of those companies that sets the industry standard for customer service and an overall awesome employee.

The majority of your customers will be regulars (unless you work in a mall, and if you do- God help your soul) and most are pretty nice. Starbucks has a "just say yes" policy that many customers know about and abuse frequently but they don't appear too frequently. You will fall in love with a few of your regulars and they will give you presents, baked goods, concert tickets etc because you brighten their day.

I loved working at Starbucks and did look forward to every day here.

Your managers (well, the ones I had) really do respect you and care about your well-being. The things some people have done for each other while working there together are amazing. Your co-workers will also be intelligent, hard-working people, for the most part, that you enjoy being around. You will probably feel very close to them in a short amount of time.

Cons- it was hard work. You bust your tail your entire shift.

The hours are crazy, inconsistent, and sometimes when you *need* money you can only get 17 hours a week.

The benefits are good- I've heard- but most people have to cancel their benefits in order to have adequate food for the month. Some people with rich spouses whose work provides expensive insurance work at Starbucks only for the affordable health insurance. But again- their spouses are rich.

The drive-thru stores are so hard to work for and have terrible turn-over because it's not for everyone. You work twice as hard as other stores for the same amount of pay and tips. It is a constant state of chaos where you cannot complete all of what you need to complete. For me, personally, I enjoyed that and it made my day go faster, but it broke people down really, really quickly. Additionally, the people who come through the drive-thrus often have little respect for you and have few social skills (asking me to name every single pastry we offer while the line builds up behind them is universally rude, as is proudly ordering 20 different venti frappuccinos).

Sometimes I want to go back, because it was the only job I've had thus far that I truly loved, but then I remember how awful the pay and the hours were. The money would not pay my student loan bills.

Starbucks is a great place to work, you just have to always be positive, give your best, and you will be amazing.

From seattle washington — 02/27/2010

i have worked for starbucks for 2 years and at 2 different stores and let me just say i thought starbucks was awful when i worked at my first store and i hated my job, but now i work at an awesome store with awesome people. everytime i go to work its like hanging out with friends. the store i am at now is in a less affluent area and customers are much less snobby and demanding. i have the best manager who works around your schedule and never makes you find someone to cover your shift if you are sick. The base pay is a little above min wage, but with tips you make well above (depending on which store you work at). I highly recommend this job for people in school, but find the right store for you! dont give up on the company if you are at a shit store, just transfer. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE TUITION REIMBURSEMENT AND FULL BENENEFITS!

From Connecticut — 02/02/2010

I worked at "my Starbucks" for 7 years. I trained at another store and then opened the store that I was hired for. I loved working for Starbucks and still say "we" when talking about the company or products. I believe the company is wonderful. However the people that get hired is a completely different story. A good Manager or District Manager should be completely objective when it comes to employees but we all know that doesn't happen, we all make friends. Those friends become favorites and get special treatment weather people realize it or not. In the Starbucks Coffee Company there is one goal THE COSTOMER. Creating the third place.
At my store I found it funny that the corporate seemed to stress about different things like the shift log, or mark outs, or the duty roster and it would go in waves of importance. That always confused me. One time it was drink timing, I was a supervisor so my assistant was timing and she told me I was of by 6 seconds try again, I was off by 7 seconds... she told me to work on that, I timed her and she was off by 52 seconds. I asked her out of the 2 of us who has to work on there timing and I walked away.
I love what the company stands for just not some of the partners.

From california — 01/27/2010

Ive been working for starbucks for 2 years now and ive worked at two different stores, one was an extremely high volume store, then i moved and had to transfer to a significantly slower store. The first store I worked at was a model store, the management was amazing, everything was just fair, i've never worked somewhere where things were so fair, and although by the book, it was still fun and upbeat, and positive. I had also never worked anywhere with pay increases every six months, and significant pay increases, so i really enjoyed that. Once i transfered i realized my store was kind of one in a million because the store im at now has a ton of issues. Partners get so into each others lives when your store is slow and theres not much else to do that gossip and drama is always prevalent, even within management, its crazy the favoritism that goes on. But that all depends on your co workers and store i suppose, working in such close quarters all the time you start to create that love/hate relationship with your co workers. There is room to move up, fairly quickly too, show that youre a great partner and hard working you can become the next shift supervisor. What i think is actually cool is if you arent getting the hours you want store partners are interchangable you can work at a starbucks in the next city over to pick up shifts and things like that.
As far as corporate policies and such go the only thing that is frustrating is how often starbucks changes product or recipes and such and then youre left to explain to angry customers why we dont carry melon or energy anymore. The people making the rules are definitely not people who work in a store as a barista so they make things that could be so simple so difficult because they have no idea what its really like.
as much as i complain about our ignorant customers, or having to close, or having to open, or having to overcompensate for the lack luster partners we have hired, its a pretty good and stable job that treats us better than a lot of my friends this age (college students) have.

From Seattle, WA — 01/24/2010

I worked here for four years from part of high school to college years. I did complain a lot, and so did my coworkers, but overall, I would say it was a very good experience. I think it really depends on the stores and the people you work with because I would say what made my experience so good were my coworkers (well not all of them). I loved the friendships and conversations that were formed. I loved making drinks. I loved being an expert on coffee.

However, I hated how you were basically the barista + janitor of the store. Some things like sweeping/mopping are pretty understandable, until they make you scrub the floors to get the dirt between the tiles out. I'm NOT down for that. Also, the pay wasn't awesome. It's probably better now, but it used to be just right around minimum wage. I have graduated college and now work at a pretty prestigious firm, and compared to the level of stress and demanding expectations I get there, Starbucks is a fun walk in the park. Obviously, it's hard to compare the two because Starbucks was just a job and I never even thought of it as a potential career. I'd say...fun job for younger people. I feel bad when older people work here and have to do heavy duty work.

From Macon, Georgia — 01/15/2010

I worked for starbucks for about a year, it wasn't a bad company to work for, it was just the little things that make you not like it. They do hook you up with full benefits which was about 99% of the reason I even took the job. They pay was about average, and they make you earn every penny of it. The hours were long, and I worked at one right off of the interstate, so it was slam packed all the time. I wouldn't recommend this job to people who get stressed out easy or don't know how to multitask. God forbid you make a mistake or mess someones drink up, managment will have a field day on you when that happens. Your constantly being evaluated so you gotta learn how to make all those drinks fast. What got me the most was how you had to be practically on your death bed to be sent home. I went in and even told the shift supervisor that I had strep throat, and i was still made to work an 8 hour shift because they would have been understaffed. Needless to say, when I hung up the green apron, i didn't lose any sleep.

From Florence, KY — 12/29/2009

I have worked here for 2 years. My supervisor is pretty great and is incredibly flexible with everyone at our store. It is like my second family- mostly all good, a few bad, but that's normal. Coworkers really take an interest outside of work in me, making me- the 30+ year old feel like family. It is a fun place to work other than some grouchy, think they are too good for everyone else customers and a few fellow coworkers who don't always want to work. Mostly, it's great and I will miss the incredible benefits and people!

Bad parts are not having a set schedule, having to find someone to fill in for you if you are sick, very physically and mentally draining. Four hour shifts, otherwise known as "princess shifts" are the best because you don't want to collapse afterward!

From Phoenix, AZ — 11/11/2009

been with the company for three years. love the environment and the relaxed work environment. beats sitting at a desk.

From oregon — 10/16/2009

I've worked for starbucks for 3 years as a shift supervisor. It was a great job when I started, a lot of fun. Now I can't take it anymore, the pay if not a livable wage in any sense. But if you're in school its great. I have a lot of great customers that I really do like, I also have a lot of customers that treat me like trash. But thats their lose decaf mofo

From White Plains, NY — 09/06/2009

I've worked for Starbucks for 5 years now. Starbucks is a fun place to work and they work very hard to make sure everything is taken care of. I recommend Starbucks as a place of employment. Starbucks is a great job to have. The tips, customers, and the job itself is not hard.