Working at Starbucks — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Starbucks pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Starbucks

From atlanta,ga — 08/29/2010

best job ever

From chicago il — 08/24/2010

I worked for Starbucks for 3 and a half years and after being told countless times that I would be promoted and 3 stores later I found a better job. I eventually had to transfer again because they had stopped scheduling me and I worked roughly 15 hours a week. I did that for another year and finally quit. It was hard to do because of my history at all the stores and knowing so many people. But I was then laid off due to the economy in 09. I told myself I would never go back to the Bucks but I really needed benefits and I sort of did miss it. So I got my job back 6 months later and was interviewing for barista but wanted to be a shift. I was told it would be 6 months (apparently that was policy). That was fine and all. The pay wasnt as good as it used to be starting off but you get a raise after 6 months and tips help out. I was finally eligable for benefits after 4 months. Apparently alot of things had changed the 6 months that I was gone. You dont get vacation for a year now which really sucks and the benefits are a little more expensive but they are still great. I got my review and I really dont know what my raise was (probably 40 cents or so on top of another 25 cent cost of living). But every little bit helps. I love my coworkers and still have alot of respect for the company apart from all the cut backs bc of the economy. But there is alot of work involved but Ive been doing it for so long its whatever to me. But there are some people who are there just for the benefits going to school so they get nothing done. That and also the high turnover rate. Ive never been in a store more than 6 months and had the same crew. People just cant make it to work bc of the kids or they are still in high school so they really could care less. But there are people who really work hard bc they care about the job and some of us have to support ourselves. I did become a shift and transferred out to another store after 8 months which is awesome. The pay went up well over $10 and hour starting and a cafe stores tip rate is around $2 and hour. So I am pretty thankful for that. And really if I could make it on a barista salary (8 dollars and hour plus a 1 dollar tip rate) I think this may help out a little more and I could go to school still fr something I really want to do for a living:) I do reccomend the company still after the economy and all bc of the benefits and raises after 6 months and it is a nice working enviornment (only after peak tho ;))

From Indiana — 08/16/2010

I began working for Starbucks about four months ago. I had always heard that they were a great company to work for and, at first, everything was awesome. I was quickly promoted to shift supervisor and was very proud of myself. I have to say, I almost wish I hadn't taken the promotion. There is a lot of responsibility on your shoulders and I am sometimes treated as if I am stupid if I accidentally forget to do something or mess something up. I came to realize that being promoted had more to do with my open availability than with my ability as an employee. The people I work with are, honestly, very two-faced. They are incredibly nice when you're around and say really nasty things about you when you are not. They act like you're a complete idiot if you forget to stock the bathrooms before you go home at night. In their defense, they are trying only to make the work environment as pleasant as possible, but I wish they didn't have to talk so much sh*t behind each others backs. The company itself, is pretty good. I have health insurance and I believe that they really do try to be somewhat ethical with what they do. All in all, it could be worse, MUCH worse, but I wouldn't look into this as a long term position.

From Chicago, il — 06/19/2010

I've worked at Starbucks for four years and your sbux experience really depends on your manager. I've had 6 so far and they generally set the tone for the store. the benefits are great, but the pay is not good. my fiance makes twice as much as me in his part time job than I do in my full time, but his doesn't have health insurance so I have to stay at Sbux for now. I have a college degree, so for those who say get a degree and a better job I would say they don't know much about what's going on in the job market.
The hardest part and best part of the job is the customers because based on years of experience they either are nice, friendly and sociable or believe that we are lower than themselves and therefore the common courtesies given to most humans do not apply to us. if you don't want to talk to me that's fine but throwing your money on the counter and freaking out because your half an equal latte was not stirred enough is not okay.
I do recommend working for the company if you need good health insurance, don't want to be in a desk job earning the same amount or don't know what you want to do in life and need an interim job. you need to check your pride in at the door or you are going to be a bitter person.

From West Vancouver, BC — 06/18/2010

I thought I'd be joining a horrible corporation - but Starbucks is actually a great company to work for. I get good pay for what I do, good benefits, and I work with people who I can count on. And it looks FANTASTIC on a resume. Awesome job for college students (I am one) because they won't make you work hours you don't want to.

From Hinsdale, IL — 05/22/2010

I do not currently work at Starbucks, but I did many moons ago as a high school student. This is an excellent job to learn customer service, and the pay is very good for a high school kid (back in the day it was $6.50 / hr plus tips). The tips were nice in my area because I worked in an affluent area. It had its drawbacks though. Food service ultimately involves being very strict with health codes, and you can't slip up. Espresso drinks are made was boiling hot water, so you will get burnt hands and smell of coffee every day.

The upshot is, if you are a regular full time employee and display good leadership skills, they may scout you for management. It's more competitive now I would assume since they've been closing stores, but as I said, I don't know since I don't work there nor have I in a while.

This job will give you the introductory skills needed for customer service jobs. It will also teach you how to make your favorites so that you can try it at home. You also get free drinks on the job (within reason) and you also get free coffee beans and other perks.

The downsides are: sometimes really stressful situations, be aware of people who may be allergic to the ingredients, and dealing with oblivious people, and people who steal others' drinks or gulp theirs down and claim you never served them.

I would highly recommend this job to any high school student, at the very least, to experience what customer service is like. I also would recommend it to any adults between jobs who may want to be in charge of their own store one day, it's a great shoe-in, and may open up the possibilities into other parts of the business.

From The Woodlands , Tx — 05/21/2010

First off if your going to complain about the pay starbucks offers you, Get a college degree and make more money they pay more then most company's so stop and just shut up, First off where else can you work and get free anything?? Starbucks gives there employees free coffee & 30% discount on everything else in the store I've worked in many retail stores and trust me they offer less pay and only a small 10% discount and no free perks like starbucks offers if your manager is rude then thats not starbucks fault that is the managers fault tell there boss or call HR and let them know about any on going issues if your coworkers are rude how is that starbucks fault??? If you sit back and look at all the perks they offer it is a pretty good company and they offer part time employees health care what other company does that no many thats for sure most companys cut your hours so you don't get health care.. Just my thoughts

From Boston — 04/13/2010

Fun, awesome co-workers, awesome customers. we're a family.

From Chicago, IL — 03/11/2010

I rarely have anything to complain about at work. It is more like a family than a job. Even when I go on vacation, I miss my coworkers and my customers. Yes, it is stressful and hard sometimes, but it is the best job I have ever had.

From San Bernardino — 03/03/2010

BecauseWhen I started working for this company i used to almost skip to work. it was fun. I Love the people I worked with and the enviorment was cool. UNTIL...........then everything is awful. The fun has been sucked out of the store. We don't laugh anymore. friends aren't allowed to talk . They don't listen when you talk to them. I used to love working at my job, now I just work.