Work at Staples — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Staples pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Staples

From Maitland, FL — 08/31/2008

I have been with the corporate side of the business for close to nine months now, and I have to say that this is one of the best companies that I have worked for. The compensation is very competitive for the market I work in. I started out in the Business development job (basically their entry level position) and was able to receive a promotion within eight months. The management is very good in acknowledging hard work and benefits it greatly. There are many companies out there who are laying off workers during this slow economy, and to be apart of a company who is actually still hiring employee's through out the whole organization is a pretty amazing thing.

From Russellville, Arkans — 08/27/2008

This was a great place to work and I loved it! Friendly people and they worked with you on your schedule. I would still be working there, but moved where they don't have a Staples!

From Largo, FL — 08/07/2008

Staples is an all around good company, I am a department lead in electronics so my pay is good, the management respect their employees and even praise them on good sales, I personally have great benefits and job security is standard if you work hard you get hours if not then you get cut. I work many hours so i spend more time at work then home but you have to work to pay the bills. Ive been accepted into the management training program so there is definite growth potential. My store location is in a high flow mall is its always busy. a very diverse group of co-workers, ranging from brilliant to mediocre. and the work environment is stressful at times but all in all I love my Job and Staples is a great Company to work for.

From Brooklyn, NY — 06/18/2008

okay. I must say that the Staples I work at is a great place to be.
1) Pay- The pay is okay. It's only good if you plan to work for part time. This job won't support you and your family though.
2) Respect- I get full respect from all of the customers and the employees. The managers are very respectful as well.
3) Benefits- There are a lot of benefits at Staples for full and part timers. I don't take advantage of them, but they sound really good.
4) Job Security- This job is pretty secure. Just make sure you get everything correct. Even if you do make a mistake, the manager won't kill you for it.
5) Work/Life Balance- I love the flexibility in your schedule. There are a few ways you can manage your time:
a)Request days off 3 weeks in advance.
b) Switch a day with another employee.
c) Ask a manager to get the day off.
d) Call out.
Just make sure you call out 3 days in a row. You will need a doctor's note for your absent.

6) Career Potential/Growth- I see it as a part time job, nothing more.

7) Location- A few blocks away from me. There is a staples located everywhere.

8) Co-worker Competence- My fellow Co-workers do compete once in a while when the Managers host a 50$ Gift Card competition for whoever gets the most rewards sign ups. Even during these competition we still have fun on the job.

9) Work Environment- Its a pleasure working here. The managers, employees, and the customers all treat me well.

From Altoona, PA — 05/15/2008

I worked part time for Staples for 9 months as a second job, and overall they were a decent company to work for. Pay is typical retail; barely above minimum wage. Managment is usually fair and friendly, but oriented towards extreme productivity in selling attachments and service plans. Benefits are ok for the part-timer, full time benefits are slightly better.--Not a job if you have a family to support. They do move employees up to supervisory and mangenment, but it is still a rare occurance. Co-workers are knowlegeable for the most part, except for the high-school kids that know little and do less. Job security is there as long as you do your job and show up on-time. The company cuts hours frequently to save budget, instead of looking for proactive ways to exceed budgeted sales.

From Chickasha, Oklahoma — 03/10/2008

I love this job. I'm only part time but I still have the ability to sign up for health insurance or vision or dental.
if something comes up and I need time off, they have plenty of staff to cover me.
There's always something to do.

It's a great job. I'm not going anywhere!

From New Jersey — 10/21/2007

First up this is retail. So ya the pay isn't great and the hrs might suck but that is what it is. The company will cut hrs to save money and somehow this will make it look good on wall street. so hrs are cut, people leave because the hrs get cut, you can't hire people because you have no hrs to really give, and the district managers wonder why nothing gets done. For me personally I have really only had one bad experience but I know I'm not the norm.
Most mangers aren't bad but if you get one that is, watch out. All the company seems to care a bout are service plans and out of stock numbers. This is some number they came up with so they can yell at you more. Basically it just means how many things is a store really out of compared to the number of things just not on the shelf. so the store revolves around that number. Now in theory it is really not a bad idea but when it consumes everything that is done, then something is wrong.
The pay isn't bad but don't expect big raises. There is very little training and the only thing that is trained is the register. everyone new learns it so the company doesn't have to hire people and make someone do two jobs. Benefits aren't bad especially if you work full time. Part timers get some but doesn't kick in for awhile. They are pretty good with giving time off and days off when asked. Also they aren't bad if you need a certain schedule. Where I work now, I'm pretty much the only person on the floor most of the time. Most of due to hr cuts and poor time management. Someone is scheluded 7-2 but the next person isn't in till 4 or 5. Sometimes 4 people will be scheduled 6-2 thus leaving me alone till 4 or 5. Luckily most of the time the store is dead and the managers know that and will help out sometimes.
If you are a manager, you really don't have a life. if your not, you will have a life. A good way to get noticed and respected is to do your job and do it well. That also could be your downfall. I moved up because of this but now I suffer because I'm the only one at the store who has a clue with whats going on thus everything will get thrown on me.
If you want a transfer, good luck. They will fire managers on the spot and have no back up for them but won't transfer you because then your store will be short someone. Its a joke. They talk about promoting people and they will, till a certain point. Then they get people from outside the company.
Look I could go on more but don't feel like it. Overall the company isn't bad if you understand what is going on. If you just need a part time job, its ok but you will work. Best thing is do you job and you will be fine. It is a tricky place to work and it will look good if you apply to another place, just be careful while there, because people will stab you in the back. Like a man named Frade.

From Michigan — 12/24/2006

Others have said that Staples is a mixed bag and I agree. I experienced Staples as a Cashier (front end associate) and Electronics associate. Working the front end is in my opinion the crummiest job in the store. As cashier ,depending on time of day and time of year, you'll be either be overworked and stressed out or bored to tears. You'll be expected juggle many tasks, answer the phone, deal with cranky customers (christmas and back to school is when they're the worst), ship packages, file paperwork, clean bathrooms, assemble chairs, on top of regular cashier duties. Staples tends to be slightly sales oriented as well, so when a customer checks out with an eligible item (electronics, furniture) you're supposed to offer extended warranties. On the floor life is better, as you don't have to deal with vile customers as often. Pay for associates is on par with most of retail, which isn't fantastic. There is an opportunity even for part time associates to get a bonus of sorts if the store sells enough warranties (5% of budget). If the store meets this budget you get a modest bonus based on the number of hours you put in that month. It would be nice if the bonus were based more on personal effort versus the overall store figures, since I tended to sell a lot of plans while my co-workers lagged a bit. Respect: well, yes and no. It's very obvious to associates that you're at the bottom of the ladder. I wasn't usually treated like dirt, but a servant is a servant whether he is told so or not... Benefits are again on par with the industry standard, health and dental plans are available for part timers. There is a new associate rewards program but it's fairly limited (15% back, up to $100 back per quarter). There are some "associate days" which you can get an additional 12% off on. These days are actually shared with customers though, so how is it an employee discount when everyone else gets it? Job security is what you make of it. Come to work on time and not drunk/stoned and the managers will probably love you. On the other hand, some of my co-workers would come in 15 minutes late on a regular basis without being disciplined... Work/life balance: it's retail...my store manager was actually pretty good about scheduling college courses since most of the people there were college kids. Otherwise look forward to a mix of varying shifts. In the front end it's better to get night shift since that is when the customers are gone. Career potential: maybe if you get spotted you can be moved up a bit. Personally I don't see a future there but there are possibilities out of the store. Co-workers: generally my store had decent people working in it. Even the managers were fairly easy to get along with, though they did occasionally blow up in irrational fits of rage during the busy times. Work environment: this is another wild card. It can depend on the mood of your manager and the disposition of the customers, co-workers and your own attitude. I can say that I did not dread going in to work, but there was a day or two when I felt completely down in the dumps. Anyway I don't want to leave anyone with the wrong impression. As retail jobs go, Staples isn't bad. It certainly beats Wal Mart or burger flipping. It's not fantastic, but you probably won't hate and dread the experience. My best advice is to avoid the store level altogether if you can. If you have to be in the store, working a department or copy center beats working on the front end (cashier).