Working at Staples — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Staples pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Staples

From Chandler, Arizona — 10/06/2010

I worked at staples after being laid off at my first job. There copy center was falling apart when I first excepted my position. I was promoted to there copy lead within a month. The pay was decent at 10.50 an hour. The benefits were mediocre for the position. All in all it was a decent work experience. I wish I never left for oce.

From Charleston, WV — 09/08/2010

I worked at Staples for a year and a half in high school. It wasn't a bad job for a high school kid. The minimum wage was lower then at 5.15 but they paid 6.00 an hour starting out so that wasn't bad for the time. The only problem I had with the place was that I never got free time. Overall it's not such a bad place to work, if you don't expect to make alot of money.

From Clarksville, In — 08/29/2010

I can't believe the number of people on here complaining!!!

I have worked for Staples since March. Yeah...we all know the pay isn't fabulous...good luck finding a retail position that does pay fabulous though. I'm making a nickel over minimum wage. I started off at the registers and then moved over to the copy center- I frequently help out with the cash office as well.

I love doing customer service and working with people and the job really allows that. I can help out in any department. Everyone in the store is helpful- my first couple of weeks I was completely shocked at how the line would start to back up with three or four people- and without even asking another associate (even from another department) would come help with checkout.

I have never ever seen a manager not working while I have been there. Every shift, every time. The manager is constantly helping out with stocking, helping checkout or just talking and interacting with the customers.

As far as retail is concerned this is the best I've had. The best management I've experience hands down in any position I've ever worked (from retail to doctors offices).

The bonus program is pretty good. I've never seen a bonus program in retail period. Bonuses encourage people to work as a team. Instead of complaining about how you've done so great in sales and no one else has, how about helping your teammates. Don't put them down-- bring them up. Work as a team and you'll bonus as a team.

Scheduling is very flexible. I've not had a day that I requested off that I didnt get. And...well, I've been having a rough time with life lately and I've had to call in and the managers are extremely understanding- they're even there for moral support when you need them.

The work environment is good- and there is always opportunity for growth with Staples- I've seen a few people move up and around.

From The Dalles, OR — 08/07/2010

I have worked at staples for 8 months and I hear all the whining and complaining but since I started with in 3 moths I was hired as a resident tech and was moved up to area supervisor. As for opportunity I think its great and you make your own bed so to speak my mangers are great and yeah the pay is low but I like working there. The bonus is based on the sales for the department and working as a team is the way to get them better
I haven't got the time to waste complaining but grow up people if its so bad go somewhere else. I hope to make my way to the upper management so maybe I can make a difference in the way my co-workers and peers see me. as for respect Its not given freely you need to earn it and I get a lot of respect from all the the people I work with. But i also give respect to the people I work with.

From New York — 11/23/2009

Let me start out by saying the pay sucks unless you know how to negotiate it. Most associates do not know how to negotiate their pay and then complain when they find out that everybody in their department is making more money than they are. Sometimes negotiation can be tough though, especially if you have a stuck up manager. Also don't expect to be paid money that you can live off of on your own, unless you are a manager in which case most of them live with a spouse that makes more money than them anyway. Oh, the raise every year is max 3% if you hit the cap amount for your job description. If you didn't you can negotiate more than 3% but usually is is around 25 cents or so depending on what you make and that is for 1 year of work. Who wants to get a 25 cents to 50 cents raise every year? Not most people.

The respect I gave a 2 along with job security because you can easily be replaced by someone else especially if they are making alot less money and doing the same amount of work. If you do your job properly you will be respected enough.

Benefits I gave a four because you just have to know how to utilize Staples for what they have and most people that work there don't. You get medical, dental, and optical - part time or full time. You also get 401K for retirement, but no pention. Car insurance, pet insurance, and house insurance. They pay a little for your college education too and it doesn't have to be in business. You also get psychiatric care if your feeling depressed from a hotline number. I am probably missing some other stuff, if anybody else works at Staples feel free to elaborate in your post.

Work Life Balance is different in every store but my store is super lenient when it comes to this. They pretty much let you take off just because its your birthday or you just want to go fishing.

The potential to grow in this company is huge, however for the little bit of pay and the alot of stress and amount of work - I don't recommend it too much.

It depends on where you work, but in New York there is literally a Staples every couple of blocks or in every town so location is not a problem.

The work environment is decent but again it depends on where your store is located. In my area we have alot of penny pinching customers that don't want to buy warranties on their product or only come for the free tech services we offer. They rarely buy attachments too, and trust me we offer constantly and one of the managers practically tries to force the customers to buy. All the associates in my store get along with each other just fine.

Co worker compentence, well that depends on what department the person works in because there are some associates more knowledgeable in another department than the one they got stuck with. Sometimes it is a big problem when it comes to sales too, especially at copycenter or the tech department because the associate will charge the wrong prices. Alot of times the associate makes everyone elses job harder and the manager on duty has to play babysitter.

From Alberta — 11/07/2009

Pay- I rated this a 4, because being a 16 year old employee when just starting out, I got minimum wage- $9.75. I worked there for about 14 months and I got 2 raises, both .25 each, of which I was really happy for.

Respect- I rated this a 4 as well because even though i was only 18, my managers and other adult co workers actually treated me like an adult, and just because i was a little ditsy, they didn't think less of me for it.

Benefits- The best benefit for me was the money that Staples gave you in the form of a scholarship after you graduated. It was based on the amount of hours you worked. So basically over the 14 months i worked there, once I graduated from high school, I got something lie $1500 to go towards my schooling; this I really enjoyed.

Job Security- I rated this a 2, because even though they appreciate the work you've done there, they could easily, and would be happy too replace you with another young high school student

Work/Life Balance: I was in high school while I was working here so I was pretty dedicated to my high school volleyball team. My manager said to hand in my team's schedule as soon as i got it, and he would make sure he'd book off all those days for me, and he did! They were really flexible with the hours i had to work, and didn't get mad when I couldn't come into work because of homework, or volleyball or something like that.

Career Potential/ Growth: I rated this a 4 because after 5 months of working there I got promoted to the Copy Centre Lead, and I really saw the growth potential in the job.

Location: There's always one around!

Co-worker Competence: I rated this lower because a lot of my co workers were only 14 or 15 years old, and they were really immature about a lot of things. Also many of the older associates were useless, and I could probably do their job better, faster, and for less money.

Work Environment- There's definitely room for improvement here. At the front of the store, its great, but at the back with all the palettes, its pretty much a disaster waiting to happen.

From CA — 10/30/2009

I'm a 19-year-old college student and I've been working at Staples for 11 months now.

I've only worked one job before this one which, I may add, was retail as well.

The General Manager of the store was extremely overpaid for his job. He didn't do anything but sit in his office all day and he didn't even answer calls! The two managers under him had to work twice as hard just to make up for his slack.

Most of the time the managers, in general, don't know anything they're talking about.

You have to depend on the managers for everything: lock up items, numbers, and everything else in-between. The associates are extremely dependent on the managers because the associates aren't allowed to do anything themselves.

Here in California, minimum wage is $8.00 an hour and at Staples all associates get $8.00 an hour even if you're full-time! Most benefits go to full-time people and there's more full-time positions than anything else.

Associates are expected to do 5 tasks at one time and if you don't finished you get scrutinized by managers. If you do a good job, it gets unrecognized by the manager team but if you don't do it exactly right, you hear about it. The good associates don't ever get a "Thank you" or a praise for their good work but the bad associates get recognition no matter what.

A lot of the associates who don't do their job don't get talked to about it. They often walk around, sit down, or just stand there and stare off into space.

I've worked at the front end of the store: you have to deal with cranky customers, get Rewards and if you don't, well, you suck according to the managers, keep the area clean, make everyone happy and do everyone else's job at the same time. Most of the time customers yell at the cashiers is because they didn't get the help they wanted on the sales floor so they take out their frustrations on the cashier(s).

Sometimes the lines get really long and calling for a quick check is impossible because no one wants to cashier and deal with customers...

A lot of the team are unprofessional and the managers are demanding.

Sometimes it's a good place to work because it can go by quick but often times it flat-out sucks.

From Forest City, NC — 08/21/2009

it was this store and this company that I met and worked for the best boss ever. yes he was a manager and need to get tough on occasion but when he did it made it very clear why he had too and he did it in a way that made the employees think they were the solution and not just the problem. Pay was really good especially the bonuses if sales were good. Having a great manager encouraged me to meet my goals and exceed them. This store really took their time to hire the RIGHT people and not just a "warm body". It was just a very fun and clean and healthy work environment. I ended up moving across the country and leaving on Great terms. If I hadnt moved I would still be working there.

From the mountains, NC — 02/12/2009

i have worked for staples since 9/08, first job out of college (because there are NO JOBS around where i live)

pay: in terms of retail, the pay is great. it would be better if they gave commission...but they dont. therefore, if you sell $3,000 in protection plans a month you make the same as the guy that called in sick all the time and text messaged all day. this does not motivate you.

respect: all of my coworkers and managers are very respectful. my GM is an awesome guy and i often wonder why he isnt in a higher position, but i think taht has alot to do with his preferences. above GM things get really political and complicated ive determined.

job security: as long as you not a total retard, you can stay on the schedule. even if you cant sell protection plans well, it is retail and there is an endless list of other stuff that needs to be done. and really, plans only apply to electronics so if you are in copy & print or office supplies they dont matter.

work/life balance: this company is VERY flexible, especially if you are on good terms with your coworkers

career potential: i dont know

location: all over, easy to find one close

coworkers: as with any place, you have good ones and bad.

work environment: great. very understanding. for retail you cant beat this

i would recommend this job

From woburn, MA — 12/01/2008

Staples lets you know right when you enter their company, there is opportunity to grow in this company. scheduling is hard, much like any job, when someone asks for time off when the schedule is already set. But the work environment isnt bad at all. Try and compare a staples store to a machine shop or any other retail store. Staples shouldn't be worse than any other electonics store. good company. You get what you put in.