Working at Sobeys — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sobeys pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sobeys

From Atlantic — 04/09/2008

People like to complain but not get involved to make things better. I've worked for Sobeys for 14 years and feel I've been treated fairly. Raises have always been on time and what I expected. There is a store close by no matter where you live. I can get all the hours I want. For retail the money is really good, try and find the same pay at another retail company. The benefits are great and my manager treats me fairly. What more can anyone expect from a job.

From halifax/dartmouth — 02/01/2008

Hello. I was employed with Sobeys for some nine years, It was great in the beginning being part time and getting 40 hours per week but after six years of this and seeing people getting adavcement over me and a few other cutters. These people were friends or family of Sobeys being promoted over everyone else even if they did not no what the hell they were doing. I heard a fellow employee say if you mention anything about sobeys in a bad way you are labeled a snitch or have a bad attitued.

I reveived good rating with sobeys right up until I said something bad mistake. A LITTLE ADVICE ONLY DO WHAT YOU ARE ASKED TO DO NOTHING MORE, SHOW UP FOR WORK AND GO HOME. YOU ARE ONLY A NUMBER AT SOBEYS!!

get out while you can.

From Tuscany, Calgary — 12/20/2007

Tuscany had the potential to be the best store in southern alberta. Now after our 5th manager in the past 5 years good luck. The store was looking great all summer and now its slipping. With a company trying to remind the customers about their "stellar" customer service, why cut hours through all departments during the busiest month of the year??!!!

From woodstock — 11/20/2007

I agree with this posting 100%. My department manager is the BEST!!!!! He looks out for his staff and that means alot. When I'm down on my hours, he does his very best to get me more.....I couldn't ask for a better department manager then him...As for the store manager, he is a swell guy, he likes having things neat and tidy and I don't blame him. I know i wouldn't want to work in a dirty environment. Him or his wife have never done anything wrong to me, so i have nothing bad to say against them.......all for now.

From Woodstock — 11/19/2007

From all of the reviews that I have read, I am very thankful to be working at a store where I feel comfortable and actually enjoy going in to work everyday. The store manager is a good person, and even though he may not say "nice job" to everyone all the time, I feel that he really does appreciate all the hard work and efforts that we all put in to making this store the best around.He may not always say so, but he does so in his own ways...bbqs and lunches for all of us, ets. I have been here for many years and I have seen many managers, both dept and store, come and go. Our manager shows kindness to so many of our customers when many others would rather look down on them. That really impresses me. His wife also works at the store and although we are not the best of buds, she is a very hard worker and deserves a little credit too. She really is no different than the rest of us. We all get away with something. Just think about it for a minute. A few extra minutes on your breaks, hiding a coffee in your depts or your purses, stopping to talk to a friend for a few minutes or on the phone... we all do it sometimes! It isn't just her. I think that with some better attitudes and a little respect for others, we would all enjoy this work place a little more. The dept managers put in a lot of hours in a week and I know that it must be really stressful and tiresome, but that is what you signed up for. I think that all your hard work is appreciated and noticed more than you realize.
I've heard that Woodstock has the best people working here and I believe that is true. Most everyone is so friendly and goes out of their way to help out a customer when they need it. Way to go!!

From Fredericton — 11/18/2007

The pay at sobeys is not bad, but it doesn't come close to making up for the tension, stress frustration and anxiety we face everyday. Ive been an employee for 10 years, full time for a few years and in the last 2 years the company has taken a huge turn for the worse. There is no respect, acknowledgement, or consideration for store level employees. We are simply work dogs it seems. Job security is great because who would they replace you with? Part-time employees see what goes on everyday and realize that its too hard to run a department now, especially if you don't have people under you that are competent enough to help. Good employees won't stay around long enough because the work is so hard and we do not get any respect or even a thanks for it. Why wouldn't they go to a call center and get paid alot more for sitting on their butts all day talking on the phone. Kids.... stay in school.

From nova scotia — 10/25/2007

I LIKE THE JOB I DO, GO TO WORK EVERYDAY AND TRY TO BE HAPPY. I GIVE GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.
MY COMPLAINT IS WITH SOME OF THE CO WORKERS. VERY NEGATIVE AND ALWAYS TRYING TO FAULT OTHER PEOPLE TO MAKE THEMSELVES LOOK GOOD.
WE NEED TO TRY AND MAKE THE BEST OF IT AT WORK. GO TO WORK WITH A SMILE INSTEAD OF AN ATTITIDE.
TRY AND REMEMBER.... IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE , DON'T SAY NOTHING AT ALL

From cape breton — 08/22/2007

I have worked for sobeys for a long time and I never thought I would feel so unhappy in my job. We have just found out we will be opened on statutory holidays, my god where does it end. We work long hours and have had to endure the Sunday shopping and now this. We have no chance at a family life anymore and if you complain you are negative. I have given my heart & soul to this company and at times have them first over my family because I take pride in my work and now it seems that family values mean nothing to this company and it is a shame because that was not Mr Sobey's vision for this company as he was always about family.To say we are only acting on this because of superstore that is crap, why don't we for once take the lead and say no to these openings and I guarentee yoy the employees would respect this company so much more nad the morale would be so much better. I have never seen staff so unhappy nad that includes all of us from the part-time to store management.The people at store level that have given Sobeys there heart & soul to make them the success they are are now being shafted nad I say shame on you Sobeys and beware because these people can make or break you and you will lose some good people who you will find hard to replace. Think about what you are doing to these people and there families.

From Saint John — 08/21/2007

I have been with sobeys for over ten years now and although things may not always be perfect it is not a bad place to work. I read all the negative reviews and i have to question them, if people feel things are really that bad why dont they leave?Sobeys is not making them stay so why are they there? Sure i could find lots of things to complain about but why? you have to remember the grass isnt always greener on the other side. Sure, I dont agree with having to take off my wedding band just like the rest, but complaining on job vent isnt going to fix the problem. There are ways to deal with issues like this, i started by emailing my HR and DO i have faith that they will pass it on. As far as the rest of the policy i think it is great, who cares if i have to where a hair net work it is not a fashion show. Believe it or not we do have a lot of good people in this company and if more people would start talking instead of complaining we would be alot better off.

From Ontario — 08/10/2007

I work for the company but not that the retail level. I know some individuals who work some crazy hours, get there at 8 and do not leave to 7 thatís how crazy it is. Most of us who do not work at retail agree that we are way over worked and underpaid. I have several friends who do work for out major competitors, Wal-Mart and Loblaws, and have tried to recruit me numerous times but I have said no because Sobeys is a great company but the pay and resources for some individuals is not that great. The difference in pay between Sobeys and Loblaws for my position is 14,000 a year, thatís nuts. We change the company uniforms every 3 years (God knows how much that costs); we blow money on things, such as blackberries too. If an issue is that important we should be using cells phones and that why some individuals who do have blackberries have laptops too because there is nothing that major that we need blackberries for. If there is an issue call the cell phone and we can log into the system via laptop.

People are dropping like flies and we are wondering why, itís due to the fact that the pay is not there and the resources are not there. I think Sobeys would be a better company if they invested a little more money into pay and also allocating certain resources to people that really needs them, i.e. certain people who have laptops do not need them and people that do need them do not have them. We are always talking about more better ways to improve the company so spend the extra $40,000 to get about 25 laptops to give them to people that need laptops, category management analysts and certain hand full of people who work in merchandising, who look into all the money issues, sorry don't know what they are called, need them. They are there from the morning to late at night I think these people deserve some resources. There families must get upset when they have to stay late an work from a desktop, I bet they would rather pack up their laptop and work from home so they can have a have decent meal with there kids.

My fellow employee's and myself agree that if these issues were dealt with Sobeys would be catching up to its major competitors in no time.