Work at Sobeys — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sobeys pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sobeys

From maritimes — 08/08/2009

top rate should be higher than what it is it should be at least 15.00 dollars an hour

From Mississauga, Ontario — 06/24/2009

I just want to say it's messed up how they let good people go with years of seniority (not referring to myself their still signing my cheques) but keep the mentally challenged ones

From moncton — 05/03/2009

Sobeys has really been trying over the past year to improve employee moral.
A pilot project is on in some test stores to have more full time employees.
They want to determine if this will improve moral,customer satifaction,and ultimately
sales and profits. They want to try to steal customers away from the competition.
From what I have heard the pilot project is a huge success and will probably be
rolled out in all the stores.
Sobeys is smart to offer their customers more service while Superstore is taking away.You
now have to pay for bags and pack your own. They closed some of there tobacco shops and no longer
have parcel pick up.They are however offering lots of mice at there Trinity Dr Superstore.
For Sobeys to spend more on labour during a Recession is unheard off. This is why they have lasted over
a hundred years. Hours have been cut lately because it is at the end of the corporate year. This happens every year at this time for two to three weeks so don't worry. It has nothing to do with the
pilot project, but balancing the books at the end of the year. Sobeys is finally realizing that keeping
and promoting good employees is good for the bottom line. I think they would admit that they had
forgotten that over the past ten years.

From Calgary — 02/25/2009

I have been employeed by sobeys for 10 great years. All stores have their ups and downs. If you come into work with a good mindset, come into work on time, come to work and work to your fullest potential, and work as a team you will succeed working for sobeys. For those of you are slack workers, of course you are going to have bad comments to say about any company you are employeed with. Every company has some issues. Sobeys is great at indentifing those issues and fixing them rather then putting them off. Thats waht makes sobeys a great working enviroment. If you can work as a team in any company that company will succeed.

From Halifax — 12/02/2008

All in all sobeys isn't that bad a place to work. Yes, you get the odd employees that go against the grain. Think you get that everywhere. Pay at Sobeys isn't that bad, and if you are willing to put any effort into what you do I truly believe you will be rewarded. Rewarded in pay and or job opportunities. Sobeys tends to move service managers around a lot, but in general try to place you within a reasonable distance from home. Sobeys will give the training to anyone who shows the initiative to go further and then there are those who just want to collect a pay check. As for work environment, Sobeys will give you whatever you need to do the job right and safely. If I were to rant at all, it would be because of those employees that choose just to get by.Seems they just want to cause discomfort for those trying to make a difference. Buy into the program ( You just might like it and benefit from it)

From woodstock — 10/09/2008

i love my job all the managers i have had have been great and are respectful. There is some stress but what job doesn't you do have to work hard and are expected to produce perfect work. Winning Conditions audit is hard on managers right now. more effort is put on this than anything else

From Northwest centre,Mon — 09/16/2008

Hi There,
I have worked for Sobey's for almost two years,I recently got dismissed due to not following company policy.I admitted to doing wrong,but i guess being honest does not count these days,you have to lie your way through life to get anywhere.I enjoyed my job and went above and beyond customer service.I have written compliments about my customer service and went above and beyond the call of duty,but what amazes me is that i was not the only one breaking policy rules about 95% of the cashiers and supervisors have broken the rules i just happen to have been caught,I guess they don't believe in giving good customer service or else i would have got a second chance.But guess what there is life after Sobey's besides it is there loss not mine.

From St. John's NL — 08/05/2008

I have worked at Sobeys for 20+ years.I have met a lot of people in that time. Sadly a lot of them have moved on to different things. I have had my share of good and bad times here. Nowadays it is difficult because the younger workers have more choice on if they stay or leave. There is an abundance of jobs out there for students. I do have one bit of advice for anyone who has just started with this company.....it is a good place to work. The benefits are very good. You meet so many people working at a grocery store. All I ask a new hire is....just do what you were hired to do. Look around....if you see your co-workers lazing around, do a little extra. These lazy people make the good workers look so much better. Get to know your Dept Mgr. Believe me,these days if a new hire just shows up for work and does what is expected of him/her, it does get noticed. Now is a great time to get ahead of some of the dead wood in our stores. Show interest and take pride in your work. You never know........someday you may be running one of these stores.

From St John's NFLD — 07/07/2008

I have never worked at a better job in all my life. The pay is great. The respect I get from my management team is awesome. Job security, lots and I would never leave such a great company. Location, Sobey's is everywhere...wahoo!!! My co-workers are awesome, though some really need to be more dedicated to the great employer they have the privilege to work for. What else can I say...give me an S-O-B-E-Y-S...I love working for SOBEYS!!!

From Atlantic — 04/13/2008

I Think Top Rate Should Be Higher Than What It Is In 1991 It Was 9.50 So By Todays Standards It Should Be At least 15.00 An Hour For The Amount Of B.S We Have To Deal With It is Only Right