Working at Sobeys — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sobeys pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sobeys

From Saint John — 07/13/2010

i find sobeys is a good place to work as long as you can put up with the cranky people. i work cash and personally i think that standing for 6-8 hours does be a pain BUT it's worth it for the pay. Even tho im just above min. wage it's a great environment and good people to work with that help you with anything if they can.

From ontario — 03/08/2010

I enjoy working at sobeys. I notice though that alot of people around me do not. It is mainly people who come in, don't do their jobs and expect a pay raise and more hours. If you do your job then sobeys can be a rewarding career. I have worked for sobeys in one way or another for three years I went from minimum to 13.21 an hour. do your jobs and you will get raises and hours.

From Lloydminster — 02/21/2010

So its definetely not worth working at this sobeys at all. If your considering it stop right now. Management is extremely unfair and will not give raises where needed. I have worked there 3 1/2 years and they are hiring people at significantly higher then me and will not give raises. They also will not tell employees when they are cutting programs. Like the bonus program. The program was that every 500 hours you recived a $250 bonus and a $0.50 raise . Now when i come to 500 hours not only do i not get the bonus but also they tell me that they dont give raises at 500 hours anymore, in fact no one gets raises. The schedule is also horrible. You can hand in a sheet with all the times you will be unable to work and thats probably when they will schedule you. So when im not in town i kept getting calls saying "why arent you at work" and when i say i booked it off they say the schedule says your working then i get in trouble for it. Also The social program deduction is basically something you will never see you again. When i first started at christmas everyone got a nice sobeys coat with their name stiched on it. The next year we got mall gift certificates, The next we got sobeys gift cards. This year we got nothing at all. And how does the corparate treat these managers who are so horrible to thier employees? They take them all to a sobeys confrence somehere exotic. For example One year it was the dominican , next mexico and lastly china. Thats why i reccomend you dont work there but it you like be under appreciated and underpaid for all that u have to put up with then this is the place for you.

From Winnipeg RSC — 01/31/2010

I am proud to work at Sobeys. I make a fair wage, they are fair with time off, benefits etc. If the place is so bad, leave. People don't leave because they know they can't do any better.

From winnipeg — 01/23/2010

Work is work,how ever I do suppliment my income. with the high demand for gerbals in the recieving office sales are 12 gerbals a day . those with desk jobs enjoy them the most .its hard for the gerbals to escape.

From nova scotia — 01/19/2010

Most of the time I enjoy working for sobeys, although for the last year we do not have the supplies or material needed to do our job properly. Cutting the hours alot this time of year but still expect the same amount of work to be done. I myself have no problem with the management. the store management has been helpful to me when I needed to take time off. The pay sucks, Superstore pays more with discounts.

From ontario — 01/17/2010

there is a new management team in the office and they have made a lot of changes

From Ontario — 01/05/2010

I'm a student who has been working at a Sobeys store for over 2 years. As a student, I find the pay to be fair and consistent in keeping track of hours and in giving raises accordingly. I find that managers pick favourites and I have seen many a time when both low and high level employees have handled situations poorly and improperly. There are absolutely no benefits with working for Sobeys and I find that job security is based on favouritism. The hours currently are ridiculous as shifts have been cut to 4 and a half hours which is unfair to those who use the store to make a living. Although, I, personally, have slowly been gaining more respect from my superiors, I do not believe that many employees should have any reason to believe that they will ever be promoted. I find that the interveiwing process is fair for a grocery store and most of the employees are respectable and professional. The work environment is sometimes stressful, but overall very enjoyable.

From Nova Scotia — 10/14/2009

If you put your best foot forward ,this is a good company to work for everything takes time.

From nb — 09/22/2009

Fantastic company to work for.