Working at Sleepy's — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sleepy's pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sleepy's

From West Windsor, NJ — 06/26/2010

Just as with any company, there will always be losers who complain. I am here to tell you this job is the best paying retail job in the country. If you can't close customers and have no negotiation skills, don't apply. The people who succeed in this company are the best of the best, top talent. Management will recognize you if you are a performer, and if your not, you will be treated that way also. I make 100,000 year after year. How do I do it? Because I know about what the f@*& I sell. I don't say, "here, try this," "OK now try this." Um...which one do you like? Oh, you want my card? Why? Hold on a minute, let me see what we can do.

So if you are making less than $50,000...go read a f*@#*ckin book and stop complaining. By the way, this is a completely legit review, no BS here. Every company has the top and the bottom. Unfortunately, the top is out making money and the bottom is writing reviews. If you are reading this and debating whether to work at Sleepy's, ask yourself this question. Am I going to make excuses my whole life or am I going to be successful.

From wayne, new jersey — 06/18/2010

SLEEPY'S IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK. I AM IN ONE OF THE TOP RATED STORES.
I WILL MAKE $115, 000 THIS YEAR BY MY OWN ESTIMATES. I HAVE LOOKED AT THESE REVIEWS.
WHY IS EVERYONE SOO UNHAPPY? SLEEPY'S SPEND A TON OF MONEY ON ADVERTISING
GETTING PEOPLE TO GO TO STORES. IT IS UP TO THE SALES PEOPLE TO CLOSE THE CUSTOMER.
IF YOU ARE GOOD YOU WILL CLOSE THAT CUSTOMER AT A GOOD MARK UP AND MAKE A 10
PERCENT COMMISSION. ALL THE PEOPLE THAT ARE COMPLAINING SHOULD FIND A JOB
WITH A SALARY. SALES PEOPLE AT SLEEPY'S ARE EXPECTED TO WORK FOR THERE MONEY.
WHAT DO I MEAN BY WORK FOR YOUR MONEY? PUT AN EFFORT INTO CLOSING PEOPLE.
HAVE PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE, USE YOUR CHARM AND SKILL AS A SALES MAN TO MAKE THE
SALES HAPPEN. I DESERVE TO BE WHERE I AM. EVERYONE WHO IS COMPLAINING SHOULD
JUST FIND ANOTHER JOB, NOT EVERYONE IS CUT OUT FOR SALES. I ENCOURAGE ANY COMMENTS
TO MY REVIEW.

From Poughkeepsie — 06/15/2010

Sleepy's has been an awesome fit for me. The problem I see is that unfortunuley we hire way to many malcontents who have no buisness being on a showroom floor. I have worked hard and have kissed no ones ass to get where I am. Folks please look in the mirror. When reality kicks in you might not like what you see.

From New York — 06/15/2010

My experience with Sleepy's has been excellent. I have been working in sales for Sleepy's for a few years now and this is a great place to work. Management has always been supportive and I found that they really care about their employees. It is true that in this company you must be willing to put in the effort and work hard however I would expect that would be the same anywhere you go if you want to be successful.

From nj — 04/24/2010

Pay: times are tough. i am greatful to have a job. job pays minimum $125.00 per day draw based on commission. this means if i earn 125.00 per day i break even. if i don't i owe the company. but by law they pay us 125.00 per 11 hour day no matter what.

Respect: my experience has been positive. for the most part everyone has been professional and pleasant. you ask a question you get a straight answer. you need help with something there is always someone to call and get help.

Benefits: not the greatest but it is better than nothing. decent medical benefits. again not the top of the line.

Job Security: none. but then no one has job security today.

Work/Life Balance: you work 11 hours a day. i choose to work 4 days a week. you can work up to 6 days a week if you want to. so it really depends how many days you need to work. if you work 4 days a week you have a life. if you work 6 days a week you have no life.

Career Potention/Growth: if you want to work 6 days a week and are very detail oriented, you can strive to be a district manager. you may earn more money but you'll have no life.

Location: i have requested to be in lacations close to my home and the regional manager has always tried to accomodate me.

Co-worker Competence: Sleepys has a department for every aspect of the job. any possible question can be answered by someone and they are available to assist you at any time of the work day.

Work Environment: mostly all of the people at Sleepy's are very nice to work with. however, attitudes about the job are generally negative. people complain about the lack of sales and the lack of high ticket item sales. the mattress industry, i am told, was a very well kept secret as far a the potential to earn a very good salary. however, the economy being so poor has changed that aspect of the job and people are struggling to make a living wage.

I thank G-D every day that i work for Sleepy's.

From NJ — 04/18/2010

Like any job, there are ups and downs. Some people make very good money and others struggle. You are not going to become a millionaire selling mattresses but at the same time, you are guaranteed to make at least $35,000. May not sound great but I know for a fact that there are a lot of people in this country right now that would take a job for $35,000.

You do sit in a showroom for 11 hours a day but for the most part, no management bothers you and you have the freedom to watch movies and anything else you can think of to make your day go by quicker.

If you are a decent salesperson and can talk to people like human beings, you will probably do pretty decent working for this company. Customer service has gotten much better over the past year and the company is changing their image for the better.

Management could use some work but that is probably the same with most companies.

You probably will never love this job but it is a job and when you get home, you wont be sore and will probably make just as much money as the construction guy busting his a** every day. Anyway, I understand why there are so many people bitter at this company but it is not Sleepy's fault the economy took a wrong turn. They are just trying to stay afloat and no matter what you think of them, they are a well run company who is not going anywhere for a long time.

From new jersey — 02/28/2010

I understand why alot of people hate this place, but it really isnt that bad. Any retail job you have, you work long hours with tough sales goals to reach. The hours are long. Really long, Especially the days when you might see nobody but the mailman walk through the door. Other than that the job is pretty awesome. You really cant beat the pay. Ive made over 1000 days in a day and there is room for alot more of those days. The management is awesome. They are there whenever I need them. The schedule is more than flexible. If I need off, they will give me the day off no questions asked. And last but not least, the freedom you have is great. Since your the only one there you basically run the place! For all the people complaining, you probably just arent cut out for this job and should possibly look for another job.

From PA — 02/18/2010

I am currently employed by Sleepy's and have been for more then 3 years. Even through the economic hardships this country is facing, Sleepy's has managed to pay their good salespeople good money. What I am hearing in all the negative comments are people who probably couldn't make the cut. Sales is a tough industry to be in and either you have it or you don't. I started in slower stores and still made money. People don't just get put into better stores without earning it. I have NEVER been in the draw, matter of fact, I wouldn't mind if they took draw away all together! WHY? Because there are too many salespeople who just "settle" for draw money, and you are right if you are going to work these long hours and make draw money, this isn't the place for you! However,if you are a go-getter and do what it takes and treat customers right, you will make money. Sleepy's has great benefits, and I have never been mislead by the money that can be made. Do you not think that their is mark-up on everything that consumers buy? If there wasn't then how would people make money? There are markups on everything from furniture to cars and jewelry and so on. The good DM's,RM's, etc. will and do help their salespeople earn good money. There are many employees who have been at Sleepy's a long time and will stay at Sleepy's. The long hours can be grueling, so for some people it won't be ideal. All I can say, is there is a reason that Sleepy's is still expanding and not going under like the rest of these mattress places. Call it want you want, but they must be doing something RIGHT. Don't be mad, b/c you people were probably fired, due to lack of production. Have a great day, and good luck! Oh yeah, and thank you for shopping at Sleepy's the Mattress Professionals!