Working at Sitel Corporation — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sitel Corporation pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sitel Corporation

From Corning, NY — 08/07/2009

Sitel is a great place to work if your local fast food place is not hiring. Location is great close to most areas. Pay is not too bad but not enough for the job you do or the amount of responsibility you have. Training is very inadequate. You spend weeks learning the importance of acronyms that your customers could care less about. The actual learning comes from trial and error when you are thrown on the phones. Weeks of Sitel training leaves you little prepared for the job at hand. The benefits are good or comparable to most companies. Co-workers are great and many frienships are formed commiserating on the horrible job we face each day. The coaches are great and do their best to help. The coaches are learning the same way the agents do, by trial and error. Sitel offers promotions but it seams that some of the best agents with top scores are neglected. The schedules are good provided your "stats" give you top pick. The workplace is clean and comfortable. The site rules dictate the respect you receive. Even though Sitel hires human beings, the company treats you like a robot and in a way, expects agents to treat customers like robots as well. Instead of treating customers like the individuals that they are, agents are encouraged to follow a "call sequencing model". Call "grading" is based on following this model rather than how you handle the call and how satisfied your customer might be. The job seems secure enough although certain deviations from the rules seems to be tolerated for some and not for others. Agents get respect from the coaches and the coaches are eager and willing to help. The company rules tend to border on dis-respect to its agents. You follow a computer generated schedule. You do your best to help the customer but you must try to make your calls allow you to take your breaks as close to your schedule as possible. If a call runs into your breaks or lunches you are "out of adherence" and it could be held against you when shift bids come along. Even though this is beyond your control, it is held against you. The biggest degradation is when you need a bathroom break. Just like grade school, you are required to raise your hand and get "permission". You are allowed to use the "personal aux" to do your business but are encouraged not to. When given permission you are told to "make it quick"! The job can make you feel very insignificant and just a voice on the phone! With the lack of proper training and the robotic way you have to face your job there is no way to finish a day and feel good about the job you have done. Sitel is a hiring mecca. While the economy is poor, many people will flock to Sitel as they hire constantly. People will accept the degradation of being treated like a robot for a paycheck and benefits. I suspect as the economy improves Sitel will lose alot of good people looking for more respect. I see a high turnover rate as the economy gets better. If you do not mind robotic work and being treated like a third grader, Sitel is the place for you! If there is another place to work other than Sitel, I suggest taking the job. If there is there is nothing left of your un-employment and nothing else is available, Sitel is the place to work! Otherwise, be prepared to be treated like a robot, get inadequate training, take daily abuse from angry customers for a dollar or so above minimum wage. Follow the rules and be prepared to do fast talking to your customers. Your work schedule depends on how fast you get them off the phone and how close you are to taking your breaks on schedule. Remember to do your call sequencing model no matter how it doesn't relate to your customer. Remeber to mention the "relationship manager" even if it does not relate to the customer because you will be graded on it! Remember, it isn't all about the customer experience with you. It is about how you follow the call sequencing model. After all, all customers respond to that robotic model... Not! Work for Sitel if there is no other choice... Trust me... You will go home with a headache every day, but it is a job...

From Asheville — 04/29/2009

5 weeks of intense training, not enough since there is a lot to learn if you want to give decent customer service.
You are thrown to the floor not even close to be prepared, horrible stress. Banking customer support can be extremely complex, this is not a MacDonald job. Volume of calls is heavy I did 65 a day needed around 100, forget it. Not for everybody. Everything else was O.K..

From Moncton, NB — 01/07/2009

Pay: Pretty decent compared to some other jobs, but is still one of the lowest paying call centers in Moncton.

Respect: You get respect when something is wanted from you, otherwise you're just a robot.

Benefits: They do have a not-to-shabby benefits package, if they keep you long enough to become eligible.

Job security: This is kind of a grey area with Sitel... I worked there for a year and five months, and did alright in that time, but really it depends on who and if they like you. Usually once employees reach a year of service (which comes with a raise and better benefits) they start to replace them with new hires, which saves them many payroll dollars. I saw many, many of my co-workers fired for silly reasons when reaching these milestones.

Work/Life Balance: It's alright, you can get some crappy shifts in a bid, but they don't really ask you to work O/T or come in on a day off, so that's good.

Career Potential/Growth: Not many agents are kept long enough to move up at all, and few of those who are able to don't.

Location: No complaints here, it's in one of the city's industrial parks, about 10-15 minute drive from downtown and low-traffic area, other than tractor-trailers.

Co-worker Competance: My co-workers were the ONLY reason I stayed there more than a week. Most of them are bright, pleasant people who don't deserve to be stuck working in such a place.

Work environment: Desks are broken and sharp edges exposed (I don't know how many times I've cut myself).. 90% of the chairs are broken and torn to pieces. Carpets are stained, the garbage bags are NEVER changed, just the contents are emptied into a large can and put back. On the bright side, the walls are painted in bright, fun colors!