Working at Shoprite — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Shoprite pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Shoprite

From wharton, nj — 10/20/2010

I absolutely looooved working for shoprite! They were my second family. I still keep in touch with all my former coworkers. I would come back in a heartbeat. I find it hard to believe it's such a bad company to work for with some people. If you're that miserable, just leave. There are always people to replace the negative ones.

From Waretown, NJ — 04/06/2010

I've been working here since it opened 2 yrs. ago. I'm very happy. I'm treated like I'm a valuable part of the team. I feel like it's family. Our managers are happy people that care. I'm glad I have a job I love, many people don't.

From linden, nj — 05/17/2009

I worked as a bakery clerk in Fresh Bake Shop department for about 2 years. I have some good and some bad to say.

Bad: they did not offer full-time positions. FT was only available to managers and such. Why? Because part-time workers receive less benefits and their hours can be cut whenever they feel like it. We always fought for the hours. And I was one of the few that really cared for my work and hated it when I simply did not have enough hours to finish my job. That caused me a lot of stress.

Pay was just about a dollar or two above state minimum. Increases were every 6 months but not very significant (within 2 years, I got $1.95 in combined raises).

Good: they have unions so that protects you from certain abuses, for ex. you HAVE TO take breaks and lunches and HAVE TO get paid for overtime (with time they dissallowed OT alltogether).

Awesome: I loved working in a bakery and took pride in my work. The best part - samples (leftovers and such) for customers but hey, employees are also customers, right?

Bad: working in a bakery is hard physical work. My health did not let me continue.

Respect - employees working in all dep. except cashiers get a pretty much good respect. It's a shame but true. And I know that not all cashiers deserve it but for some reason that's how it was.

Bad - Advancement opportunities. When I realized that my health could not cope with my work I tried getting a position elsewhere in the company, for few months, and with help from store manager who seemed to like me, and alleged support from HR, and I got nowhere.

Visit to ER was my wake-up call.

From Laurel Springs, NJ — 09/28/2008

Foreward: I speak from the point of view of a 16 year old guy who just left his job as a Customer service attendant at Shoprite. Iíll probably go back during the summer unless a better job presents itself.

Pay: I started off at minimum wage, and stayed at minimum wage since I only worked about two months. You get a raise after 6 months, I hear it's somewhere between 20 and 50 cents more per hour. For a teen like me, who doesn't have any bills to pay or a family support, minimum wage isn't bad. It might not be a great job if you need to pay bills or feed your kids, you start off with a low salary and it takes a while to get raises.

Respect: I've never felt disrespected by my co workers or bosses, I always felt like I was sort-of important, excluding the times I wanted to go home early because there wasnít much to be done. I never had any real problems in this respect (no pun intended).

Benefits: They start after a year, and then I think you get health benefits at 2 years, I wasn't there nearly long enough to get any though, but I hear that if you work there a while, the benefits are pretty nice.

Job Security: You start off in a 2 month probation period in which your work performance, like your efficiency, friendliness and how you manage time, is under review and closely watched. You can be fired easily in that time if you're REALLY bad at everything, otherwise you're safe. After that 2 month period, your job security is pretty....secure.

Work/Life Balance: The reason I left,. It's hard for a high school student like me, with honors and AP classes, because you have to spend at least 16 hours a week at Shoprite...including both weekends. Not even the managers got weekends off. I worked about 23 hours a week, 4.5 hour shifts a day. I never got much sleep and with school, I barely had free time and was very stressed.

Career Potential/Growth: There are always opportunities to move to different departments, move from CSA to Cashier - all you have to do is request training and it should be ok.

Location: My Shoprite was very close to my house, which was great for me.

Co-Worker Competence: I got along very well with most of my co-workers; on front end (CSAs and Cashiers) it was mostly a young crowd. Everyone can do his or her jobs well, we just slacked and goofed off a lot when we could...it was fun.

Work Environment: It was almost always clean, and it is a very nice looking store. I always shop thee, even after leaving, and I like the environment. And I get to see friends I made there :]

Overall, it's a good place for a part time job,but the hours will really put a strain on your schedule if you have school, like I do.