Working at Shopko — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Shopko pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Shopko

From Sioux Falls, SD — 08/03/2010

I think reviewers and readers should be wary of workplace reviews. Not only does the greatness depend on the managers, location, and coworkers, it also depends on the personal experience of the person (obviously). Some people are probably bitter about being fired, reprimanded, or other things.... all which skews the review.

Personally, I think the Shopko that I work at is great. The managers, supervisors, and coworkers are all amazing people. The work environment is like a big family and I look forward to going to work every day. I don't make a lot, but I'm truly happy with my job. To me, my happiness is more important than my paycheck.

I think people should give Shopko a shot. Go to the store and get a feel for the customer service... I feel that customer service is a pretty good indicator of how the workplace is.

From Fairmont, MN — 05/21/2010

This was the first job I had in high school, and I kept it through my college years. I then went full-time for a year after graduating, and it's honestly been the best job that I've had. I disliked it at the time, but only because it was unfulfilling -- I'm a college grad, and still working retail?! That's not what I went to college for. However, all my job experiences since then in the retail world have shown Shopko to be a wonderful company to work for.

Sure, corporate does some really dumb things, but our local managers had our backs and worked to represent us. They also got to know us and worked with us.

Coworkers were extremely supportive and this job had less drama than all the other jobs I've had -- even though it had its fair share.

Best part of this job was schedule flexibility. It was a frustrating part - schedules didn't come out until the last minute, but as long as you weren't dumb, it was almost guaranteed you'd get your requested time off. The benefits weren't fantastic, and were slashed with the economic downturn, but they're tolerable and better than some other places.

The pay stinks -- a lot of folks chose to work at other entry-level jobs because they'd get paid more, and WalMart sniped a lot of our good employees by offering them more.

The work environment is awesome. Shopko employees actually -care- about customer service and do an awesome job showing that. There were a few employees who didn't care, but they were the minority. Coworkers and managers also made sure to recognize hard work when they saw it, instead of ignoring it. Of course, it is retail, so a lot of hard work does go unnoticed, but by and far this place recognized it much more than any other job I've had.

While I don't want to be working retail, I would much prefer to work for Shopko than any other retail chain.

From Logan, UT — 02/17/2010

Surprisingly one of the better places I've worked at. The best part was traveling with them from Utah to California, Nevada, Idaho and Colorado. They have a good sense of family there and welcomed me in, twice. I was going through some difficult times while working with them (undiagnosed bipolar disorder and ADD) so I wasn't the most "stable" employee. They stuck with me and still ask how I'm doing even though it's been a few years since I've lived/worked at the Logan, UT location. Everyone worked hard and was recognized for it accordingly. I can't say that about many companies. Usually it's all about who's friends with who. I'd definitely recommend working for the Logan store!

From Madison, WI — 09/30/2009

I worked at a local Shopko store for approximately ten months before finally throwing in the towel. As a part-time overnight stocker for the company, I quickly learned that while this wasn't the worst retail environment I had worked in, it was by no means one of the best. Pay at the time was reasonably good and well above minimum wage. However, the store reneged on their promise to pay me extra based on my prior experience. Training was so-so and it took some time before I learned what exactly had to be done and how.
Perhaps the biggest problem I had with Shopko was the lack of given working hours. Although I asked for 15-20 a week, I seldom received the minimum of 15 I asked for after the first two-three weeks of working for the company. At the holidays, I worked 35 per week only to have this cut down to virtually zero when January rolled around. I also learned that this did not apply to only part-time employees, but additionally to their full-time workers. Overall work environment was mixed: some co-workers and supervisors were fair and helpful while others made it clear that being miserable and unhappy was some sort of bizarre requirement. My final rating: not a recommended place to work due mainly to the problems with hours and complete lack of career potential. Saddest of all is how this particular Shopko store is doomed because of the nearby 'super' Walmart; too bad that Shopko didn't use this situation to their advantage to prove they could be different than the incoming competition.

From Wisconsin — 09/28/2009

Well this is my first training day working at the Shopko here. The people I met so far are really nice and that is all that matters since they are my superiors :). This job is way better than the previous job I had. I get paid decently more and I get respect and they are super nice. Scheduling seems very lenient. Absolutely the best place to work at. The workplace is perfect for me I live 5 minutes away and it is across a big mall. It really is a fun environment and I would suggest it to my friends.

From Wisconsin Rapids, WI — 07/28/2009

I have worked at this location for over 20 years, so I suppose I may be a little biased, but by quite a bit, the positives outweigh the negatives. Granted, the pay rate is definitely not the greatest, but the benefits for full-time employees are impressive (I get five weeks of paid vacation and six paid holidays, not to mention decent medical and dental benefits and a matching 401(k)). One of the best things about the company is the flexibility of scheduling. If you need to get off for a special event, or decide to attend college, most of the managers will work with you. One of the biggest drawbacks is that the General Office really doesn't have an idea as to what goes on at store level. They are constantly implementing changes that sound good on paper, but don't work in the real world. Job security is almost too good, it is almost impossible to get fired, because the GO is worried about lawsuits. This leads to some employees not really caring about their performance or how their attitude affects their co-workers. The managers are generally appreciative and respectful, but like any workplace, you do get the occasional arrogant, power-hungry, know-it-all, clueless manager. Thankfully, these don't usually last too long. One of the biggest complaints I have is that some co-workers don't realize that this is a retail environment, which does mean you will be working some nights, weekends and holidays. People who stay working in retail do so because they truly enjoy working and interacting with people and the thought of sitting at a desk for 8 hours or standing in a factory doing the same thing over and over is incomprehensible. So although, Shopko may not be the best place in the world to work, it definitely has its perks!

From Delavan, Wisconsin — 05/08/2009

Pay: Worst pay in the retail industry. Not only do they pay minimum wage, but raises for promotions are a joke. Supervisors make 3$ less on average than its competitors and the yearly raise (When there is one) barely meets inflation.

Respect: The managers are extremely respectful which is probably why the turnover is so low.

Benefits: same as pay.

Job security: People never leave this company. This is probably the reason they have to pay so low.

Work/life Balance: The downfall is they don't let enough seasonal workers go after the holidays meaning most people only get 4 hour shifts and 10 hours a week.

Career potential: They promote from within and can even give teenagers supervisory experience.

Location: They are in good spots...

co-worker Competence: The people that work there have worked there for a very long time and are very efficient at their roles.

Work Environment: It is at 0 because their is no stress and its quite laid back, but it also lacks motivation and desire for achievement