Working at Sherwin Williams — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sherwin Williams pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sherwin Williams

From Sacramento, CA — 06/27/2010

I've been with Sherwin for about 15 months now and I gotta say I love this company.
Starting as an MTP is your best bet! DO NOT waste your time hoping for promotions if you just wanna start as a Driver. It could literally take forever!

I started as an MTP in April, became an assistant Manager in July, and got promoted to Branch Manager 7 months later!! The pay is great, considering I have had a 16K increase in my pay since I started.

All in all this company is right for you if you're a college grad and are flexible to move around.

From Surf City, NC — 02/13/2010

Its a great company to work, the people are professional and nice.

From Canal Winchester — 11/04/2009

As a part-timer I do not revieve any benefits or or bonus. Pay is pretty decent for part timers especially if your DM likes you. In most stores the work enviroment is good, but when going to another store its questionable. Location is a joke because there are Sherwins everywhere. Sherwin needs to advertise more on their products and less about them. Blows revieves so much business because they have a so called seelf priming product. Sherwin is the type of job that i hate and love at the same time. When employed in this company for so long you cant help but notice every paint job and actually care about doing things right because there is too much room for error in this company. Job security is excellent.

and everything else up in the air depending on how good of an employee you are

and one thing to always remember is that everyone is expendable!

From Maryland — 07/14/2008

Sherwin Williams is a good company to work for but unfortunately I'm starting to feel that I'm not a right fit.

The pay is pretty decent. You go through an Management Training program before you get placed as an Assistant Manager. Be warned that this is a very physical job. I was warned many, many a time since I'm a female. Be sure that you are ok with lifting five gallon pails of paint that can range from 50-80 lbs. This is not really a problem for me but you do work your butt off a lot. As an Assistant you also are entitled to bonuses. Unfortunately, I have yet to see a bonus because of (a) the nice little recession that is going on and (b) let's just say that my store manager doesn't really care much about his job so even with my efforts in the store we are not getting the amount of business that we should.

Respect. Yeah, I get respect from the company but as far as many of the customers it's really hit or miss. I know this is retail and there are a lot of miserable people out there, but I think this is where I'm starting to really dislike my job. First of all, you deal with a good amount of uneducated people who like to walk all over you. I'm not saying all contractors, but a lot like to barge in and try to take advantage of me since I'm a female...also, ignore me and go directly to any male in the store because they think I know nothing about paint. Then, you get the snobby elite do it yourself crowd who are absolutely surprised that I have a college degree. All in all, I give this part a -4.

Benefits are ok. I used to work for the state so any benefits in the private sector are a joke to me.

Job security seems fine to me. I think anyone would have to really mess up in order to get fired.

Work/Life Balance is good for retail. I hate that we're open on weekends but I can't complain since I was told from the beginning. Stores open during the week from 7am to 6 pm.

Career Potential/Growth is great if you work hard, of course.

Location is not a problem at all. There are Sherwin Williams stores located everywhere.

Co-worker Competence is good also. Most management have college degrees.

Work environment depends on store, management, etc. I've worked in a few before I was placed into one and this is another reason I'm not happy. My store manager is unhappy with the company so it doesn't make it easy for me. I work alone for many hours as he skips out to "go look for more sales". Also, how is it that I am the only one who can actually be on time to open the store? The good thing is that upper management knows of the problem and they are doing their best to accommodate me. Unfortunately, it may be too late as I'm already posting for other jobs.

From Midwest — 07/14/2008

Pay: Worked part-time for several years. pay, for part-time, is pretty good. Raises could be better. Assistant Managers and Managers make good money, trying to get into management in this district is like pulling teeth.

Respect: Rodney Dangerfield would agree that there is no respect. You deal with contractors who have no social skills. The best thing is, is that they eventually go away and you do not deal with them again for a couple days. Some managers are respectful towards part-timers. Upper Management are number crunchers and do not care about anything but the bottom line. No real incentives for part time sales. No commission.

Benefits: Part timers get no benefits except for 401k after you become vested. Health and dental come to those only in management.

Job Security: If you do your job well, are responsible, and work hard, you will always have a job. Even Managers who make pretty big mistakes still have their jobs in the morning. That could be good or bad depending who you are. As a part-timer who works hard, I have never had issues with the bosses.

Work\life balance: Great! Open from 7am-7pm M-F, 8-5 Sat, and 11-4 Sun. You never stay past those hours. If you are Store Manager, you are salaried which creates a monster in some. Some that I worked under leave work at 1pm, but then wonder why their store is going to hell in a hand basket. Some managers work 50 hrs. Assistant Managers work 42 hours/week. No overtime in this district (numbers watched constantly). Hours are flexible as a part timer.

Career Growth: Go to College, for Management Training Program, otherwise you are stuck as a part-timer. Very few stores around here have full time positions other than management. Go to school!

Location: SW is everywhere with more stores opening, especially in midwest region. Out west, there seems to be less stores than midwest and east.

Co-worker Competence: Depends. Some co workers are great, while some are terrible. Usually terrible ones quit or get fired. Managers are typically great to work for. Communication between management and coworkers could always be improved.

Work Environment: Cannot complain for a part-time job. If you can handle raunchy painters (there are a couple shining stars)this job will be no problem. If you can deal with old ladies who want pillows matched to a blue-gray color that is not too blue and not too gray, this job will be no problem. It is laid back, but at the same time, it can get a bit hectic. If you do not like being interrupted all the time, this job may not be for you. If you can speak Spanish, Polish, or Lithuaian, that would be a plus. Part timers usually take deliveries which means you need to be able to lift and know your way around the immediate area. Painters never tip you nor help you once you get to the jobsite. Color perception is a must to be able to color match paints and stains. Basic math is a plus when home owners come in with f'ed up measurements and want you to estimate their needed amount of paint and/or wallpaper. Management receives bonuses while part-timers get nothing at the end of the year (a pat on the back if they are lucky). If the company had more incentives for part-timers such as medical/dental benefits, a small commission off certain sales, or any other rewards would help SW sales immensely. I wish there was better training for new comers. New part timers, if they dont know anything about painting, are overwhelmed when they start. There is no formal training. It is fly by the seat of your pants and to be mindfull of what more experienced coworkers do and say. If you go to school, SW is flexible with your schedule. Part timers generally work all weekends as key holders. If you need a weekend off, generally there is no fuss. Overall, SW is a great place to work for a student or retiree.