Working at Sephora — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sephora pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sephora

From Northeastern USA — 09/14/2010

I recently joined the company when they opened a store in my local mall area. We all went through the training a month-and-a-half prior to our store opening. The staff hired were all great girls, very knowledgeable and eager to help. I was told upon my hire that I would start out on cashwrap (The cashier station/wrapping area) and eventually move into a color consultant role ''as soon as my DIC could move me there." It still hasn't happened yet, but I'm hope I'll get to go there soon. I do feel like work life balance needs a little management, because I'm a hard working woman and I did manage to fall sick for a week, but was treated with disdain when I brought in my doctor's note explaining my absence. You need to have patience and really need to speak your mind to your managers when you work here, or else you'll be passed on by.

From Wisconsin — 09/02/2010

I have been with the company for 5 years...I have never worked for a better company. They are a total people based company and I dont plan to leave anytime soon. I have held every position at a store level and each pomotion the company gets better. I read though all the reviews above and havent experienced any of the bad that these people have it seem to be bitter X employees dont allow these reviews to change your mind in this company...if you are unsure walk into any Sephora and ask an employee if the enjoy working for the company...you will be convinced quickly!!!

From McLean, VA — 06/12/2008

I worked at a Sephora for about 2 and a half years and hated to leave when I moved. In my store, at least, care was taken to hire nice people who get along well with others and we all got along well and genuinely liked each other. The company cares about its employees and the work is generally pretty fun... playing with and learning about make-up all day. Of course there's the cleaning and stocking and unpleasant clients that you deal with in any retail job, too. Benefits were good. All employees 24 hrs a week and above were eligible for medical insurance and full timers got dental and vision as well. Pay, while not astronomical, is very good for retail and varies based on your experience. There's plenty of growth potential and longtime employees are given opportunities to move up the ranks to management, education, etc. It isn't the cushiest of retail jobs, it's actually pretty challenging at times because the standards of customer service are very very high and many stores are extremely busy. Anyone who walks in the door could be a secret shopper so you have to treat every single one of them as if they are (which is time consuming), which sometimes feels impossible when there's literally 5 times as many clients as associates on the floor. That part can get very very frustrating, as it's hard sometimes to accept being "graded" by a stranger who has no idea what kind of day you're having or if you're also trying to do several other things at the same time. I must admit while I was working there I wished they would loosen the CSE (customer service evaluation) a peg as it is very very stringent and a lot of importance is put on it. Of course a job is a job, and its sometimes unpleasant and that's why they pay you for it, but in the scheme of things I LOVED this job and would go back if the opportunity presented itself.