Working at Securitas Security Services,USA — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Securitas Security Services,USA pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Securitas Security Services,USA

From Akron, OH — 09/19/2010

I see a lot of people complaning about this company, i worked for Securitas for four years and was treated with respect. yes i had to pay for my license ext but with all security companys its a must. i was also in high crime areas as i say if you are scared to exercise your authority on what ever post your place in then dont do security. Securitas does have a lot of classes you can take which they pay for OPOTC ext. yes you do have to pay for it but then you take a copy of your recipt to your Supervisor or Office and you will be reimbursed. Wont yous stop crying and be greatful you have a job. I have 20* years in Law Enforcment, private Investigator, Excort (Body Guard) experience and i lost my job due to my own faults. i was making more then $25.00 an hour working here so if you dont know what you getting into, go pack bags at supermarket!

From Omaha, NE — 04/18/2010

Over approximately three years with Securitas USA in Omaha, Nebraska, I have been impressed overall. The contract security business has a lot of less than motivated employees but despite that fact, Securitas in Omaha does a great job. Each branch in the U.S. is run differently so to comment on the company as a whole is difficult. I have found the biggest problem to be the officers themselves. The constant negative gossip and rumor spreading, the "give me more for nothing" attitude and the complete lack of understanding of the system. For example, no not blame Securitas for not getting raises. You get paid what the client wants you to. Also, stories about how Securitas bills $20 plus per hour and pays the officer $8 is simply not true. It is not even possible with the system Securitas uses for billing etc. The profit margines are very, very low and for each Dollar the company takes in in revenue, they are lucky to make a few cents of profit. It is all about volume. Securitas in Omaha and as a whole as treated me well and I know that it is a better company to work for than most other contract security outfits. Again, a lot of it comes down to local management. In Omaha we currently have two Branch Managers; one is great and the other is not. Brian Michalski is an outstanding Branch Manager who understands the business and knows more about security than most. There is a reason why clients come to him directly when they need security services.

From Portland — 02/27/2010

I LOVE MY JOB... I work at a steel mill site...I do 4 12 hour shifts and then have 4, yes I said 4 days off !!! They pay is very reasonable for the area and so far I have zero complaints. The people I work with are interesting to talk to.... Even the complainers... and can see myself staying with this company for a long, long time.
Reasons I, personally, love this company
You can move all over the world with little notice
I make a wage I can live comfortablly on
The job is sooooo EASY
They let me do my studying...AT WORK... when its slow
Cool people I work with and for

I might be moving back to Maui in December this year. I am VERY excited that I can pick up the phone and have a job waiting when I get there. I have lived there before so I do know it can be expensive, but the sacrifice of a little lower standard of living, if you want to call it that, is SOOOOO worth it.....that is if you like scuba diving , surfing, boogie boarding, snorkeling, sailing, and fishing... otherwise you... you might as well stay on the mainland and buy a house for what you pay in rent there...

I would love to hear from anyone that is currently or has worked in either Oahu or Maui at the airport or the resorts...I don't mean to be ungrateful for feedback but if you are just going to bash the place....tell it to someone else..I understand the hardships of living in Hawaii so I would be looking more for the different posts that are available and your overall impression of the work environment...not just how bad you thought it sucked....thank you sooo much for your time and will appreciate any constructive feedback. Please email me with any advice ... jswender@gmail.com

From Arizona — 02/25/2010

I have worked for several security companies including Burns, Argenbright and AKAL in the past. Securitas had it above all the rest until recently. The Chicago bean counters and HR people started taking over and have no clue how it works in the field. They can't handle getting benefits packages to the Officers in a timely manner let alone anything else.

You can't blame the OIC when the company loses a 5 year long contract when the property changes hands and the new management 'cleans house' of all previous contractors - not to mention the economy goes into the toilet. You can't blame the OIC when hiring practices admit incompetent Security Officers who abuse equipment, malinger and fail with the public; when the OIC takes control and demands they remove an Officer from the post, they keep tabs on the person.

Overall, I have enjoyed working for Securitas and travel 1 hr just to get into the metro area; its been worth it. The pay needs upgrading as do benefits to keep the BEST personnel. Kick HR in the butt and make them perform to the same standards of Excellence that they demand of Officers.

From Oil City, Pa 16301 — 11/18/2009

Pay: $11.50 Per Hour when most officers in this area only make$7.75 or supervisors make $8.00 Per Hour.
Respect: For the most part, you get what you give. Hey Im not perfect.
Benefits: Once signed up you cant drop them for a year, I payed Over $3000.00 for the one year I had them,
That $3000.00 Got my daughter 2 dental office visits, 1 dr office visit my wife one dr office visit and 1 outpatient visit at the ER, This was all in the first 2 months.
After that there was nothing left for me to use and it was my insurance, Do the math.
Job security: If I do the job I WAS HIRED TO DO and keep the client from loseing money I will have a job.
Work Life balance: That is a little low but hey this is security its not fliping burgers at mcdonalds, When your needed your needed, If you cant handle that no one is forcing you to stay.
Career Potential/Groth: I started here in 2006, In 2007 my supervisor went away and I was acting leader, a couple months later they hired the current supervisor and made me Lt. supervisor, Whenever this supervisor goes away I will already be here as supervisor, And even if I dont get that I have gone farther than I ever expected to.
As for training If you put nothing into it you will get nothing out of it.
Location: Depending on the weight of my foot I live 10-15 minuts from work, whats to complain about.
Coworker Competence: WE ARE A TEAM, WE WORK TOGETHER AS A TEAM.
Great Employer, Great Client, Great Supervisor, Great Team.
If you think security is law enforcement dont apply to Securitas.
If you think security is siting at a desk watching TV and eating donuts and drinking coffee dont apply to securitas.
If you want to be a security officer because you get to kick bad guy but or because you think its easy work dont apply to securitas.
If you think getting hired means Securitas owes you Dont apply to Securitas, as I said befor you get what you give.
If you truly want to WORK, want to be a proffessional, want to make a difference, if your willing to put your everything into this work so that you can get something worthwile back, if you hold yourself accountable instead og whineing and complaining about others.
Then Apply to SECURITAS you wont be sorry you did.
www.securitasjobs.com

From Kentucky — 11/11/2009

Pay-As far as the pay goes where I am, it's not all that bad. I'm working at the highest paying site in my branch. I've had problems with receiving payment for what I've worked at times, but it's happened very seldom.
Respect-There pretty much is none. The supervisor here is a total lack-wit who only looks out for their self. Anytime something good gets done, they take credit for it. And they want to blame their officers for their mistakes. They get the extra pay for the job but pushes all their duties onto the officers to take care of. Trying to complain to the office does absolutely nothing. They make promises that things will change and then you never hear anything else about it. They sit back in their big cushy chairs and let things die down and forget it ever happened. The supervisor calms things down for awhile but when it starts back up, it's ten times worse than it was before.
Benefits/Job Securitiy:The insurance is horrible they take a huge amount from each check and it's the most basic coverage. I'm sorry but $250,000 Lifetime maximum does not cover it if you plan to hold the job for quite awhile. I don't know what they expect you to do if you happen to have some terrible illness. And your job security is pretty much based on what everyone else has said. If you sit back and keep your mouth shut or make no major mistakes, they pretty much forget about you and you're secure for the time being. The minute you screw something up for them or voice your personal opinions and show any sign of spark, you're gone (and that's really the only time that they'll ever fire someone.). I've watched it happen too many times for comfort.
Work/Life Balance: There is none. Once you're there, you practically live with Securitas. Your choice is that you either work when they say, where they say or you don't work for them at all. They do not care about any previous employment, children, or other involvements. Once you're hired, they come first. Always.
Career Potential/Growth: There is none here. At the branch I work at, they don't even give raises, no matter how long you've been employed. The only way to earn more or move up is to become a supervisor. But, for the $1 more on the hour they award you and everything there is to deal with, it's truely not worth your time or energy.
Location: Mine is pretty good. It's one of the few things about Securitas that I'm actually happy with. Even with traffic it's still only about a ten minute drive from my home, so I don't waste a lot of gas going to and from work.
Co-worker Competence: This is one area where I can give top marks. I could not ask for a better group of people to work with from day to day. They know their jobs very well and actually preform them. They never make excuses for things and when anyone makes a mistake, they don't hesitate to come forward and correct it. They are truely a remarkable group of people.
Work Environment: On some levels it's very enjoyable. I work in a guardshack and there are always people stopping and coming through. Most of them are always good for a laugh and very enjoyable to talk to. On the other hand, we are in a modular guardshack made for one person while most times, there are two. It's very cramped and uncomfortable. The heat doesn't work very well and being in Kentucky, the weather is extremely unpredictable. We finally had to sneak a small space heater in just to save our toes! There is not actual restroom; just a port-a-potty, which is supposed to be cleaned by the company once every week, but sometimes goes three or four weeks without it. It is highly disgusting and unsanitary. And trying to walk outside to get to it when it's icy and cold is certainly no fun at all.

So, to finish off, I have worked to Securitas for a year and am still with them. But I can honestly say, that it is only because jobs are so hard to find right now and I do need the money. I would stronly dicourage anyone from working with them unless you know for a fact that the branch you are applying with will actually be considerate of the needs and wants of their "valued" employees.

From Philadelphia, PA — 11/10/2009

I worked only for a few months as a Site Supervisor. I guess my ratings for the experiences were:

Pay: Gave it a 2. I was getting $11.50/hr for basically sitting at a receptionist desk of an office building. If the job was based on that duty only, the rating would have been 4 or 5 but there were many instances where I really earned my wages. There's a reason why the branch has Site Supervisors at their accounts.

Respect: Well, truthfully, I never felt "disrespected" in the traditional sense. Unless you would consider relief guards calling out 5 minutes before their scheduled start (or sometimes not calling at all), not being respected. The other vendors/contractors in the facility that I worked daily with were doing a job there just like me and we all were just trying to earn a living. The branch scheduling manager, this loud, fast talking Haitian guy (with unintelligible english) talked to me like I was a dumb kid sometimes but he was ok for the most part (when he did have time to discuss issues).

Benefits: Didn't have enough time on the job to qualify for them (1 year of service usually is required).

Job Security: As a guard, It seemed like you would have to burn the place down or kill your co-worker to get fired, regardless of how many complaints/write-ups were logged by anyone. As a Supervisor, don't really know due to I resigned voluntarily.

Work/Life Balance: As a Supervisor, there is none. I was in charge of filling the contact hours. Which means working the open post hours when I couldn't get anyone to fill in, or the branch couldn't find anyone (or was willing to). And it seemed at one point like I lived in that building. 20-25 hours O/T on top of my regular 40 were not uncommon but this was the responsibility and promotion I accepted. This is where you earn your $2 pay raise that comes with the Site Super position. Filling in and babysitting. O/T pay was nice though it wasn't always steady.

Career Potential/ Growth: I gave this a 1 just for being promoted from guard to supervisor as originally planned by the HR mgr. Left before I could find out more down the road.

Location: Was excellent. Nice corporate park about 5 min drive time from where I was at until I was forced to relocate in an emergency to a place 10 miles away and then it became a challenge.

Co-worker competence: As long as you can speak,read and write english, wear your uniform properly and avoid falling asleep on the graveyard shift you were ok. Though not everyone fit this mold.

Work Environment: Was a barrel of laughs for the most part when the contractors were around being goofy and all but it got really lonley and boring at night. Very dirty and dusty with demoltion debris but that was to be expected for a renovation job.

Overall I was kind of sad to leave. I had a great relief guard who went above and beyond for me when I really ran into a personal pickle and I was grateful for that. I just wished some of the other guards could have just followed the handbook regs regarding attendance requirements, but I guess part of it is the nature of shift work and part of it is some didn't care. It's easy to feel expendable doing this job and it's also easy to picture no real advancement in the contract security business. Unfortunatley, like most hourly jobs, the wages come under the cost of living index (for that paticular area) but for what was expected of you it was better than breaking your back in $8 to $9/hr retail or slinging fast food. Yes you will have instances of double shifts (16+ hours) that you did not anticipate and sometimes you can't even keep your eyes open for the drive home after that. For me the scheduling manager tried to make it up to me when he could so I couldn't complain. There's no such thing as an "easy" job these days and contract security is no exception either.

From Liverpool — 04/09/2009

If your looking for a career with this company be advised, strongly, that each branch office is ENTIRELY diffrent and each site under that branch office is diffrent. I have been trained at and worked many sites out of the liverpool office, at least more than just about anyone except the Colonel who rocks.

I'm not going to go point by point on why I gave my ratings, except the benifits. They are horrible, don't buy into them. You can get better benifits solo if you have any knowledge of how health insurance works, but if you don't because when you spend a sizable amount of your income on something you like to go "eh, don't need to research that!" then get them.

I'm going to explain the gist of the job, the company, and why I like it. I unfortunatly can't be specific because I actually read my contract before signing it (it's a good practice to get into, believe me) and I'd be breaching it if I gave specifics. it's also not in my best intrest whatsoever to post this review, if the office figured out who I was it could suck. I'll explain why I'm writting it later in this review.

Compared to other security companies in the syracuse area this one is by far the best one to sign on to. Even Securitas's worst sites to work for, which you really only get placed at long term if your booted out of another site or do horribly at the interview, are not as horrid as sites at other security companies. It's also, in my personal experience in being a site supervisor but not a site supervisor with another company (oh what fun) the best one to do business with as the office will actually deal with the client, albiet not 100% of the time because that would be silly, instead of forcing a gaurd who has no clue to BS for a long, long, long time.

As an entry level gaurd you get state manditory training and thats it. If you think state manditory training is supposed to be highgrade awesomeness, don't vote, ever. This doesn't mean it's not available, it is, you just have to work for at least 3 months and then friggen ask for it. If you make site supervisor you actually get good training. Not "here's your doctorate in security" training, but good training none the less.

So why all the crazy bad reviews so far? It's simply because this is the best large security company to work for and that means there is accountability. If there was no accountability then there would be no standard. You have to be accountable for yourself, your co-workers, and your site. You feel like getting paid for sleeping believe me, Morris and gaurd one are almost always hiring too.

So many times you hear gaurds complaining about lack of training, "having" to work overtime, horrible site supervisors, the office "forgetting" something, the clients wants and offices wants being contrary, or whatever. Then when you ask them "did you ask the office about that?" they go "I stay under the radar!" If the only time the office ever has contact with you it's because something bad happened, guess what they are going to think about you. If you don't ask for training, call road patrol more than once about your co-worker calling off, keep the office in the loop about your site, or communicate at all then you are going to get lost in the shuffle. That's the price of working for the most successfull security company in the syracuse area. Sorry.

The only time the office ever gets pissed about you calling them is when,
1. You havn't gone through the chain of command (NO WAI!)
2. It's for a retarded reason (even more if it's consistantly for a retarded reason)
3. You start off the conversation yelling "GRAH I HATE YOOZ!"
4. It's about the client being rude to you.
5. Your calling off, [i]again[/i]
6. You decided to call the alertline before even bothering to tell them
7. You utterly lack people skills

The office loves it when you call them about something your supposed to. Things your supposed to call them about are in the post orders and your niffty little handbook. Your allowed to read these on post, it's in the handbook. Learn the handbook, it's awesome for dealing with site supervisors who are goobers.

So why am I writing this? because the one thing I lothe abouth this job is the consistant barrage of idiots and lazy people I have to work with and, oh yes, call them in to the office (or snitch, whatever). I have to call them in because again, if you actually read your contract and the rule book, I'm obligated to. Every time this happens I have to fill out paperwork and get calls from the office when I'm not at work. That's just about a half hour a pop I'm not getting paid for. Sure I am advancing my way along because of it but theres enough old poop to scrape off that I don't need a new batch coming down the pike.

You want to make a decent chunk of change, work at a great site, and not cringe when someone asks "what do you do for a living" then you have to do it on your own steam. Road patrol can't be everywhere, HR can't visit new and intresting sites everyday, and it's sorta part of your job. Securitas can give you a consistant paycheck, flexable schedule, and a work site. What they can't do is make a site the high standard they expect.

That's up to the gaurds that work there and it seriously only takes one to flip a site around. That one will be rewarded with a promotion, believe me. That's why you see so many reviews here, and will hear from so many "I havn't gotten a raise/promotion in eons!" gaurds who never made supervisor that the guy above them is a snitch, backstabber, prick, etc.

You want to be a body filling a spot, feel free. You want to be a leader, then you have to act like one. The majority of the liverpool office staff used to be gaurds.

Oh yea the pay is above private security standard. It still sucks, but it's not horrid.

From Newburgh, NY — 12/02/2008

Pay- Varies by site, but it's enough for me since I have no kids.

Respect- Basically if I don't screw around, don't like and do overtime now and then they'll love you and try to hook you up with better sites.

Benefits- I don't use them.

Job Security- You would have to not show up or leave a site to get fired.

Work/Life Balance- I called out because of an emergency one night and they gave me the night off. These guys have really worked around my schedule for me.

Career Potential/Growth- I'm not really trying to go anywhere with this company. I'm just doing it until i'm done with college.

Location- They try to put you at a site close to home. The one time I had to commute an hour to a site that was a temporary contract I got gas money.

Co-worker Competence: It's security, it doesn't take much of a brain to do it, but some people are idiots. Other people aren't and are really cool.

Work Environment: If someone who has a lot of say in the contract for that site doesn't like you, forget it, you'll be gone. I've been at good sites and bad sites, but it's not the fault of the company.

Overall, this company has treated me the way I like to be treated and has been very good to me. They've been more than understanding to me and i'm glad i'm working for them.

From Altoona, PA — 11/12/2007

I worked for this company a few years ago for 10 months. Everything gets pretty much a neutral rating because the company is pretty much unremarkable either way. The pay sucked; it was barely enough to support myself. I got a decent amount of respect from middle management only because I was one of the few competent people they had working for them. My site supervisor (guard captain) was pretty cool; he knew how much the company sucked. The turnover was pretty bad and most of the people that came in were pretty stupid. But security is a good job for stupid people. There is some potential for advancement but advancement in the area I worked that meant making about $10 an hour, driving 100's of miles a week, and dealing with all the retards they have working for them. Needless to say I stayed a guard. I gave the benefits a 5 but I'm not talking about health insurance, I'm talking "fringe benefits". One of the other reviews mentioned "felons, drug addicts, and high school dropouts." Well, all I'll say about that is there's few jobs where you can be stoned your entire shift and get away with it; that's why I liked walking rounds ;-) Location for me was great; the site was only 10 minutes away from my house. Most of my coworkers were pretty dumb except for a few I hung out with on rounds. The work environment was pretty dangerous because the site was a steel mill. One of my duties was to take injured mill workers to the hospital if they didn't need an ambulance. Other than that I really don't have anything else to say about the company. I had fun while I worked there but if they knew what I was getting away with they should have fired me.