Work at Sears — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sears pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sears

From Baltimore, MD — 03/05/2009

I began selling for Sears in 2005 as a college student. It is one of the best part-time jobs you can have while in school. Since starting, I have grown to be the top sales writers in my store. This job is full commission, therefore, you get out of it what you put into it.

Pay:
There is no maximum to what you can earn. The more you sell, the more you make. Generally you earn about 4% of your total sales and an average sales associate can sell anywhere from 300-750K a year assuming about 30 hours a week. My average hourly rate is about $19-20/hr. and I work at a low volume store. Average is about $12-18/hr. For a part-time position that is amazing!

Respect:
I gave respect a 3 because if you do your job and learn you're stuff you can earn more than some assist managers. The rest of the store makes much less than you.

Benefit:
The downside of the job is the benefits. You pay for your own health care at a group rate. Also, they just suspended matching contributions to 401k.

Job Security:
As long as you follow company policy and Sears stays in business you will not lose your job. A guy at my store has been there a whole year and basically wonders around with no direction and is still there.

Work-Life balance:
I only work about 33 hours a week and make what most retail assistant managers make. I can have off almost any day I want as long as I provide notice and if I sell a lot early and there is coverage on the sales floor I can leave early.

Career Potential/Growth:
This is a great job but not a career. Eventually, you will max out at your potential and there are no raises. The only way to increase your pay is to move to a high volume store.

Location:
Sears is all over the place and you rarely travel from the store. My store is 10 min. from my home.

Co-Worker Competence:
Aside from the wanderer, I work with a pretty good crew. Sometimes there can be some tension but if you only worry about yourself problems will work themselves out. The key thing is to always put yourself first. Understand that you are the only one who truly cares about you.

Work Environment:
This position is competitive and great for someone who is. However, with all the down time you learn to get along and be friends.

From new york — 02/18/2009

I work for the company for about three years and I've been promoted twice. There is definitely opportunity and growth. You have to prove yourself, go above and beyond if you want to be acknowledged for advancement. Every company is going through some tough financial difficulties at this time and we should be grateful if we have jobs. If you don't like the work you do, you'll never be successful. Stop complaining and be positive.

From Metaire, LA — 12/31/2008

great place to work if you don't want a life. in management, they expect you to be there morning and night open to close everyday even when you're off. i have been in management in other company's before and never been so tired as i have with sears. too many hours.....

From Lewisville, TX — 10/17/2008

Still employed as a 100% commission sales associate in the appliance department. The pay is great if you're part-time, but a little below average if you're full-time. 1 heavy bald manager there gives no respect to his sales associates, and 2 are just part-time respectful. What's funny about these 3 managers is that none of them have any leadership skills or real sales experience. We did have an older lady as store manager who also loved to flex her store manager power because of the superiority complex she had, but she just retired in August. The new store manager is a little younger and has been much more respect to his employees. The benefits at Sears are good. They use to be great, but like the commissions there, they have gone down for the past fifteen years. However, if you're part-time there, you still get a form of health insurance and approximately 70 cents per dollar you invest on up to 5% of your pay with their 401K plan. they have great job security, but you have to put up with the constant nagging from the bald manager at this location for not getting enough PAs(protection agreements) or credit applications. You can cheat there by cutting the prices creatively to get PAs.It's rare when someone works over 40 hours a week. If you request over 40, you may get it. But you're stuck working weekends if you want the big checks. Furthermore, you have to deal with managers flooding the floor with sales associates. All managers from low to CEO hate when their subordinates make more money than they do. You can grow with the company, but like most, you have to desire it by brown nosing and asking for the next higher position. All Sears have different types of managers. This one, from what I hear, has gone from terrible to only bad (since the older store manager retired). Co-workers are funny. Theres a few there that always have to watch closely what the other sales associates are doing. They are idiots. Then you have some that are very nice and considerate. The idiots are what they are because of a lack of real sales experience and education, I think. The work environment is just fine. You can't sit except during your break, but you do get free AC & heat. You can shop the rest of the mall during your breaks. You have enough choices of eateries near by, and the work there is easy. All around, this Sears is again good if you're part-time, and not so good full-time if you have any type of skill or college education. But if you have no skills or education, that means you're probably lazy which would make this job a perfect choice full-time.

From Bridgeview IL — 05/27/2008

You're driven to make sales, pay is average, and I never had issues making the goals. Show up, take calls, cover the script. Managers will coach you if needed! This job was easy and they were really cool about taking time off when I needed it. Not room for growth cause there really aren't those types of positions open. I've thought about returning there many times. Just like alot of call centers people come and go, when I stopped in though there were still familiar faces from a few years ago. Management is experienced and there after years with the company. I thought it was better before the Kmart merge, still it was pretty good.

From TX — 05/22/2008

I used to work in the electronics department. The pay was great: wage and commission. There isn't much to advance but if you're looking for some extra cash then you will probably enjoy it, especially if you are motivated to sell goods. But if you are trying to support a family with the wrong attitude at work, then this is probably not the best for you.

From Greensberg,Pa — 04/02/2008

i work for A & E i fix everything,i try
real hard with what i have to work with,this company passes the buck a lot with i dont know or corporate says so,managers dont care and are not technical you are promiced the world but all you have is to look foward to the next day with problems you have to deal with yourself ,technical traning is a joke because you have to look for it amonst your fellow techs,i go to work because i need the job and try my best to what i have to work with

From Illinois — 03/31/2008

I work at Sears in the Home Appliance department. The pay is great for a college student, and the job is difficult unless you know what you're doing. It takes a long time to do training and become efficient at the job - it's impossible not to make at least one mistake the first few months. As long as you don't get into arguments or suck at selling your job security is fine, especially if you hit all your numbers. There's plenty of room for potential (because people seem to be leaving). The company itself seems pretty weak right now, we'll see what happens in the future.

From West Dundee, Illinoi — 03/31/2008

Well, I really have enjoyed working at Sears only because of the people. The cashiers and mca's are really awsome people. I really enjoy my job. The only reason I hate working there is because of some of the managers. Rob is the laziest manager in our work

From Upstate NY — 03/30/2008

Pay (depending on department) is excellent for a college student who is looking to balance school and work. I am in commissioned sales in the Brand Central division (this includes Home Appliances and Electronics). The job benefits are nothing to sneeze at, but they are ok. The company is out for itself #1, make no mistake. The things that come out of the mouth of management and the policies set in place often contradict one another. As long as you don't pick fights and sell well you have pretty good job security. The flexibility of scheduling hours works right around my college schedule, which is excellent. Sears as a company isn't in the best shape of it's long lifetime, and unless there is a revival I wouldn't consider it to be career. The location is within 15 minutes of my home, which is convenient for driving to and from work. My co-workers are competent, well-trained, and educated. This makes for a pleasant and enjoyable working environment. Every Sears location is different, but my experience here at Sears has largely been a positive one. I will probably stick around at least until I am finished with college.