Working at Sears — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sears pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sears

From Lewisille, Texas — 07/13/2010

First off, let me say that this is retail. Anyone complaining that they have to "sell" in retail or "greet customers" (gasp) is being silly. That's the world of retail. If you aren't actively engaging customers as soon as you see them and asking if they need help then you aren't doing your job.

I work for Sears as a softlines associate. That means its a non-commission job and I get paid hourly. Sears hired me as a part time associate and yet, they give me 40 hours. Of course I'm not complaining. The problem I have is that I'm only being paid minimum wage. Normally that's not a problem at all but Sears definitely works me to the bone.

I've definitely been overworked for the little pay that I receive. Which is very odd because when I applied for the job, Sears advertised "competitive pay". I'm coming from a job that paid me 9 an hour in retail and now they are working me harder than my previous job for a lot less.

The managers are nice so I have no qualms there. The other employees are nice as well.

My home life/job management is good. I work mornings so I am able to spend my afternoons at home. However if you work nights.

I would recommend this job if you simply need a job. Obviously, it's retail, so you can expect your boss chewing you out over 'credit apps' if you are put on the register. That's part of the job. You just deal with it.

Speaking of Credit Apps, if you dont want to be a salesman dont get on the register. You will more likely be let go if you are a cashier because you are expected to sell Credit Cards.

These credit cards are terrible. They have a hideously high interest rate (25-29%) and only save the customer 15 percent. Just doing the credit check will lower the customer's credit score.

However, one of the more effective ways to sell the card is to not just ask them. Tell them "It will save you 15 dollars on todays purchase. Do you want to see if we can approve you for one?"

The customer says "no I dont want another credit card"

just tell them "Actually, what I tell my customers to do is et teh credit card and just pay it off. Then, when you come back in the store to make another purchase, just use the credit card and pay it off to keep building up your credit score."

When you give the customers ideas, it helps a lot. Also, if you arent getting Credit apps, and a co worker of yours is, just listen to their pitch and mimic how they sell the card.

Bottom Line: I wont work here forever and I certainly wouldnt want to be management at Sears. The managers are overworked as are the employees. But its a nice job to have while you find something better.

From Hoffman Estates, IL — 06/19/2010

I have been with Sears fir 12 years now. I stated in 2002. A have held meny positions, I was once CAC Lead!! I also used to be the Footwear Selling Coordinator, and I started as an ISS Lead. I currently work in the store and my Job title is. Store Coach II. i Really like working at Sears, it is a pretty sucessful comany. I like wearing Jacklyn Smith and Classic elements apparel to work every day and I think this is a very promising companty. Dr. Lampert cares a lot aboot Sears and does a alot to help make it work. Thanks! Bye.

From Chicago, IL — 06/14/2010

Overall, my time in Sears has been good and bad. The good is that I've been able to meet many great people/co-workers. That's one of the things I loved about working in Sears. Most of the co-workers are down-to-earth people who are like you and really make for a relaxed and sociable work environment. As an management intern in a Sears store, I got to go through many of the depts. within the store, so I really learned a lot about different depts. and how different each can be from one another.

The Good:
My internship gave me the chance to do plenty of meaningful tasks and I spent a lot of my days on the frontlines doing various tasks/projects like plan-o-grams, typicals, placing merchandise onto the floor, etc...I got a chance to also go to a 2-day trip to the Hoffman Estates, IL headquarters where all the interns spent 8 hrs. each day listening to various executives/higher corporate personnel discuss their experiences. Free hotel expenses/free baseball game(minor league), and exciting 2 1/2 days spent with all the interns. Also, I got a chance to do 2 projects during the internship, allowing you to make recommendations that you feel like can make a difference, although I doubt that district managers really pay attention to it.

As I said before, all the co-workers were nice. Assistant store managers/leads were all courteous and helpful in providing guidance, advice, and suggestions. I felt like I made meaningful relationships and I know that the particular store I worked in had great character people.

-nternship paid $15 per hr, worked 40 hrs. a week, and no punching in/out unlike all the other associates. Pretty good pay for an internship.
-Reimbursed for gas money if they make you go to another store.

Some of the bad:
-Working 40 hrs. a week can be tough if you aren't used to standing on your feet all day. It was initially hard but after 3 weeks, I got used to it.
-I had to work on very repetitive, boring tasks. For instance, many times I would have to "uphold readiness standards." This meant anything from keeping the fixtures aligned to "finger spacing" which was where we had to make sure that all the racks were evenly spaced on the fixtures. This was some sort of presentation process that they wanted to keep even though the customers always screw it up by moving the racks around when searching for clothes. THE DUMBEST PROCESS I HAVE EVER SEEN OR HEARD OF.
-My store manager was an incompetent idiot who never deserved his job. He was supposed to teach me but instead it was an assistant store manager who was my mentor. My store manager knew nothing and he hid behind his office all day.
-District manager has the right to recommend you for the manager trainee program, which is the next step after the internship. If you don't kiss his/her a$$, don't expect to get the recommendation. At least that was the case for me. My morals and integrity are too high for me to suck up to anyone. I try to do my best at whatever tasks I do, work well with others, and hope that is enough. Unfortunately it wasn't. But I would do it the same way because I'm not gonna kiss someone's rear end just so I can get farther in life. Sees you once or twice a week and he/she thinks they know whether you are a good fit? Bullcrap.
-Didn't get to experience all depts. within the store but this is difficult to accomplish in 10 weeks.
-Had to sometimes go to other stores to help with some preparations from people from the corporate office. This was okay except for the fact that all the interns would have to do the most boring, unmeaningful tasks for about 8 hours. Nothing where you gain knowledge. Stuff like sizing racks and sizing fixtures as well as cleaning up stuff and upholding readiness standards.

Overall:
A good internship to have with some bad aspects to it. All jobs/internships have their good and bad. This one was good for its pay, for the interactions with co-workers, and for the knowledge that was gained. At least in my case, I spent a lot of time on the front lines doing tasks on the sales floor. My mentor helped me a lot and all of the ASM's and leads were also helpul. I would recommend this internship to others but beware that political BS that you hear about in retail is once again true here. If you aren't kissing the boss's a$$(that would be the district manager), don't expect to be fairly treated.

From North Olmsted, Ohio — 04/18/2010

I worked for SEARS for 2 years in the mid-90s and it was an ok experience.

From Baton Rouge, LA — 03/27/2010

There are certain things I like about working here and other things that make me crazy. I do like the people, I enjoy the customers, and the potential is there to make money with hourly plus commission rate. However, certain managers here make the job more difficult than it has to be. We do try to push the purchase agreements but most customers think they cost too much and people are getting increasingly agitated about the hard sell techniques we have to use to try to get them to buy. Also, I have seen certain managers essentially gossiping about different employees on the floor. I find this to be unprofessional. Also, you have to watch certain managers trying to keep you from getting your commission by having the cashiers not ring up a sale under your number. I guess at our store there are increasing trust issues between the management and sales associates that need to be resolved.

From Florida — 03/22/2010

Working for Sears for 6 and half years, I can't complain too much. I hope soon that the people calling the shots for Sears will realize that they are just shooting themselves in the foot. I can't believe how many customers walk out of my store because they have to wait so long to get waited on. This is because we have one, maybe two sales accosiates in each department at all times of the day (except appliances, but they're not hourly). This also pulls non-selling associates away from their tasks to try to help customers, then they fall behind in the 100 hours worth of work the department needs to get done in the 50 hours they are given.

Also, something stupid to throw out there. They decided to start using refurbished ink in the printers that print the promotional sale signs. The "was this price, now this price until this date" signs. Well the ink sucks and smears all over the paper. There are times we can only put up half the promo signs we need, meaning when customers walk in the store, if something is on sale, they don't know it. So is the money they are saving on ink worth all the sales we are losing because customers don't know of the promotions going on. Of course a sales associate could point out the special promotions, if they can find one. This has been going on since before Christmas, and still no resolution. Well they did switch to a different vendor who has a better refurbished ink. Right, it's still garbage. Why not just go back to the original ink?

I could go on and on, and until they get someone in there who understands the retail business, it's not going to get better. If you're a student looking for a part time job with flexability, go for it. Or someone looking for a second job, it's perfect. But if you're looking for a career or serious full time job, you might want to look past Sears. I myself am beginning to look to move on. I hope my time and management experience with Sears will help me land something better.

From NY — 11/28/2009

Well,

It seems alot of people have had a bad experience at Sears, but honestly, that likely reflects the location you are working at not the company as a whole. Let me break into some details:

Pay: I am currently a Lead (A non-Salary manager) and many of the Sales Associates make more money then I do. Which is understandable, due to the fact that they push Protection Agreements and Credit Aps much more then I. While I am not overly unhappy with the pay, they do expect you to work for it and you wont get good pay if you don't work hard. Pay is reflected by hours, work ethic, and quality of work. As a Lead, these don't factor into my pay unfortunately but I knew that when I went for a Lead position rather then a Sales one.

Starting Associates have it a little rough at minimum wage, but that is to be expected in most retail jobs. Non-Cashier/Sales will have to accept minimum wage, but when you are out there helping customers if the store either doesn't have the item in stock, or doesn't carry it offer to order it for them Store to Home (online). They get it quick, in most cases shipping is free, and its 2-3% in your pocket. I know a Clothing Stockperson who makes decent money ontop of hourly this way. Cashiers can often get at least 20 credit applications a month (Some of our Cashiers get 100+) giving 40$ at minimum and 80$ on the months where applications are paid double.

Here is a tip to all the people complaining about goals - The goals aren't THAT high, push your credit apps and PAs and you will make the goal. As a LEAD who doesn't have NEARLY as much product knowledge (Meaning selling points, not knowledge of what product we carry) I sell 60% PAs in Tools, Electronics, etc when I do make sales. While I don't get many credit apps as a lead, I do very well at PAs when I am forced to run a register due to Sales People being busy.

Respect: My store there is quite a bit of respect for the associates and among the management. I understand that might not be true in every store, but I work with a great group of people. There are bad days, and there are a few people that spread rumors and do other shady things, but for the most part respect is fairly good. I have seen nothing but respect and professionalism from my District Manager and several of the regional people who have visited the store. I had one of the proudest moments of my life when we were praised on a regional visit. Evaluate the store in your area if you are seeking a job. See how the Sales people act, call for a manager just to give comments on what you see, and see how you are treated by them if you want to work there. This is true with every company. I went into the store to look around before I applied for the job. I liked what I saw, so I applied.

Benefits: I will agree some of the health benefits and raises have been rough the last few years. Without going into much detail, there have been some issues here that I hope to see improve in the future.

Job Security: This Sears isn't going anywhere for a long time. We do alot of business, we have a good team, and overall we're in a very good district and at a great location for sales.

Work/Life Balance: Other then Black Friday, Christmas time, and regional visits, I manage a fairly good balance and despite medical issues over the last year, I have not had any negative feedback or fallout from having to call off when I am sick or injured.

Growth: I know alot of people say there is no where to go. They aren't looking very hard. Support Jobs can move up to Sales if you do good in your areas. Sears has a "Promoteable" list they are required to fill out and maintain and people do move up from this list. Sales can move up to Lead jobs, or move to Delivery if they don't feel they are getting enough Sales hours. If you do good in your job, there is room for improvement. To other posters from early 2009 and 2008, Sears has come a long way in this regard over the last year. Again, this is my thoughts for the Store and District I work in and as such, may not apply to all areas.

I have personally moved up twice, and am considering applying for the next level of management as it becomes available. The only reason I might not is because I enjoy the position that I am in currently.

Location: Mall store, as almost all sears are. Some of these reviews I have no doubt were Outlet stores and not part of the main Sears branch. While Outlets carry the Sears name, they are not subject to all the same rules as regular Sears stores. If you want to work for a Sears, go to a Full Line Store which can be found in the malls, or in the units known as "Sears Grand" (Basically a Sears store as big as Target or Wal-Mart)

Co-worker: Non-Staff associates this is one of the best group of people I have ever worked with. We have some bad apples, but in recent months many of them have moved on and the store as a whole is better for it.

Environment: Overall fairly good, aside from a few Safety issues. Non-Critical though.

In closing: My store, has had some great store managers over the years, many of whom were promoted up and currently has a store manager who has been with the company for decades and is one of the best leaders I have ever met in my life. While this may not hold true to every store, I am sure that is the case for any company. Please, go into the Sears store, talk with the associates, spend some time there and see if you like the floor environment before you apply cause you will spend 90% of your time on the floor. Like any company, Sears has some positives and negatives but overall I think its a great place to work and can be either a career, or a stepping stone to help you learn skills you can apply to your desired career in the long run.

Read these reviews, and listen to their advice, but remember that every store is different and it may be a matter of evaluating the store in your area before you decide if Sears is a good place for you.

From gastonia, nc — 10/31/2009

i love my job and have had nothing but good experiences, i did rate job security a bit lower because most of the time you would be hired as a seasonal and ur job security depends on performance

From Pennsylvania — 09/16/2009

Sears is absolutely amazing. If you are considering getting a job here do it! Just know if you are a sales associate you will be expected to meet goals..These goals are not something that are impossible. Depending on the store volume and how good you are at your job they can be relatively easy. I have been here over 4 years and love it. My co-workers are amazing. My bosses have been INCREDIBLE. Sears is an A+ place to work. Great hours, great flexibility, great chance for career growth!

From Sacramento, CA — 03/09/2009

I've worked as a in home service tech for 4 years now and love it. The pay is great if you know how to sell some of the things others are b$tchn about having to sell. The respect is great for those who do the job they were hired to do. As for job security. these days things seem really good, when so many retailers are goin under people seem to be repairing more than replacing. Average tech is here only about 2 years but that mostly because others cant handle the job. If you are competant you can make a great career out of it like so many have at 30 plus years. This job has many good people that work here and even the occasional jerk that has nothing better to do than to sit back and bitch about the policies that have paid for their lifestyle for the last 20 years. HEY DICKHEAD! IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!