Working at Schwans — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Schwans pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Schwans

From Wisconsin — 05/24/2010

Schwans is an awesome company to work for, you get out of your job what you put in. There are a lot of long time employees and yes they go through employees as every other company, there are more complainers out there than hard workers it seems. As for job security you do your job and do it correctly and you can work your way up to a management position in a few years, and only have a HS diploma. How many companies out there still promote the hard workers and acknowledge them! Long hours- I'm glad to have job that pays my bills and has good benefits, yes it has been tough to balance family and long work shift but some of us are thankful for the opportunities given to us- Schwans is not for everyone- it takes a special person to sell & deliver the product I respect those that do- it is not a job I would want. Some have increased there sales to have 4 day weeks and have a five day weekend Mon-Thur, Wed-Sat. They have worked long and hard to accomplish it but I never hear them complain about the pay or hours. The other side is warehouse,they work in -23 degrees every day and have odd night hours usually working at least 6 days a week. If you want to deliver food go work at Pizza Hut if you are good at promoting what you sell and have good customer service and not afraid of hard work Schwans may be for you.

From Marshall mn. — 04/06/2010

The company gives you what you put into it!!!! You have to be able to handle the sales part of the job and some long hours but at the same time you get to be your own boss and can work yourself into a four day a week position making very good money..... It's one of the few jobs now a days that you can work hard and make a great living for yourself and your family all without a 4 or 6 year college degree. You only need alittle patience, hardwork, enthusiasm and drive to succeed.

From Virginia — 02/13/2010

No degree, no problem. Long hours? Yes. Good pay? Yes. It's up to you. You get what you put into it. I look at it as my own business. If your looking for a free ride go elsewhere.

From AZ — 11/16/2009

Good company to work for if you have no home life, family life. Good products, good co-workers, good management, long, long hours.

From indy — 09/17/2009

it is a sales job, it is no different now then it was when we were all hired in. Get new customers, promote product service all customers, grow the business, if you have no capabilities to find another job be lucky you have this one, if you dont like it leave, We all have choices to make, grow up and make one, the job is what you make of it. like it or not. look in the mirror and you may see what the problem is with the company

From Somewhere, California — 03/19/2009

I have been a Route Manager (CSM) for a few months now. The hours are very, very long. If you are considering a job as a CSM there are some things you should know, some good, some bad.

Schwan's offers a good salary for their CSMs. You start out at $32,000 as a trainee, but when you are assigned to a route (usually a month or two after being hired) you move up to $38,000 per year. There is potential to make more if you really put work into the job and get your route running solid sales. The ultimate sales goal is $5,850 per week. They start you on a sales plan about 2 months after you get your route, you have to hit certain checkpoints every week. If you do not hit your check point on Friday then you have to run your route on Saturday to get enough sales to hit the check point. After a few months your check point will eventually be $5,850. You have to hit that number every week or you get written up, eventually terminated. You have to grow your route by soliciting new customers, which can be difficult in this economy. Schwan's food is high priced (but very high quality), so its not simple signing up new customers.

The hours are long. I work 65 hours every week, Monday thru Friday. If I do not make my check point I work another 10 hours on Saturday. Most of the time I hit it, but sometimes I don't. My check points are still low, so I'm really nervous about when they increase (every 8 weeks). The best driver at my depot makes over $60,000 a year. But if you average the hours we work it really only averages out to about $17.75 per hour and he's ranked high in the company. 65 hours per week x 52 weeks = 3,380 hours. $60,000 / 3380 = $17.75 per hour.

I won't say that I HATE my job, but I do not enjoy it. The hours I spend working really take away from my family time. I see my wife on the weekends, and that is pretty much it. Again, if you really, really work at it you can make good money. It takes the right kind of personality and a very dedicated person to hit the numbers they want you to hit. It takes the average driver a little over a year before they can get their route to $5850, unless you have a route that is already running good numbers, but usually those aren't available because the driver who has that route isn't about to leave the company.

The benefits are ok. They are expensive, but the coverage is good. If you are looking for nothing but job security, then Schwans is it. They boast that they have never "laid off" a driver. So if you are running good numbers you pretty much don't have to worry about losing your job.

I left a good job to come to Schwans and I really regret the change. I do not feel the hours that I work are commensurate with the salary. Even if I was making $60,000 a year, I still wouldn't be happy. I think about it like this.... If I get a job making $15/hr and work 65 hours a week. I'd get my base pay of $900 per week. Then at time and a half overtime for the other 25 hours I'd get an additional $562 a week. That is a total of $1462 per week. Which equates to a yearly salary of $76,024. See what I mean?

The job is not easy. By no means. The turnover at Schwans is as high as any I've ever seen. I think the average driver sticks around for 2 months. That tells you something right there. But, again, there are a few guys that have this job that LOVE it. Most don't. I am lucky, I have a very good LGM (Location General Manager). He helps us out any way he can. I know that many depots have managers that rule with an iron fist, which can make the job much, much more difficult. Having the right manager will help to make or break your career. I am lucky and my boss is a great manager.

It is a decision that requires a lot of thought. Make sure you and your family know what you are sacrificing before you take a job as a "Schwan's Man".

I just want you all to know the facts so that you can make an educated decision.

If you have any questions or would like any more info please feel free to e-mail me at dubya4472@yahoo.com. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

From Elkhart , IN — 01/24/2009

I have been with Schwans for years now and while yes it is true that the hours are more than normal I find the pay more than adequit and the benefits are great. I enjoy the independence I have after leaving the depo. I work my day talking to customers who are 99% top notch and trying to meet thier needs. Yes it is a numbers game and you do need to be a driven person but hey this is a sales job and is reliant on business. They recently changed the salary structure so it is now salary and commision and anyone doing at least a reasonable effort should make 40,000 a year and better. The company completely supplies your entire uniform from shoes to coats. The health insurance is good and I now get 3 weeks a year vacation. Overall I really like the job. I would like to see fewer hours but I haven't found any job that gives me everything I want.

From Bellows Falls, VT — 03/26/2008

I have been with Schwans for four years, and overall it is a good job. It's one of those jobs that require much from you, especially in the beginning, so if you don't believe in sacrificing a little up front to gain a lot later, then this job isn't for you. My first year I worked 5 days a week, 12-13 hrs a day on a solo route system. I made about 37,000 for the year. I teamed up with another driver on an excellence route, and now I work 3-4 days a week and average between 45 and 50 thousand a year. Some of the other drivers make as much as 60 thousand a year. I also arranged my schedule so I have a 4 day weekend every other week. Not everyone has to wait a whole year to get on an excellence route, either. Some guys get on in 3 to 6 months. When I started the boss was cleaning house of drivers like the ones who have posted negative reviews here, so there wasn't anyone worthwhile at the time to team up with. You don't have to be aggressive and pushy to be successful. Just be good to your customers, take good care of them, and they will return the favor. There is cold door knocking required to maintain the routes, but the company provides soft sell scripts for this that are pretty effective. It can vary from the area you're working in. Anyone who doesn't make money at this job is not really trying. I've seen drivers come and go, and the ones who end up going are always the ones who blow off current customers because they don't buy every time and refuse to do what it takes to add new customers. My only complaint is the management. Local management is fine and works with you the best they can. However, the corporate office is run by retarded monkeys who sit around crunching numbers all day and never bother to ask the people doing the job what it's actually like out in the field. What the numbers tell them to do hardly ever holds true in real life, so sometimes we're stuck with goofy requirements and quotas, but I get paid enough to overlook that. The company has fantastic benefits and also holds several contests every year where you can win great prizes just by hitting easy quotas. I just won a 7 megapixel digital camera and $100 gift card to Olive Garden during the holiday contest. Don't believe the negative comments you read here. This job requires hard work, but it pays great dividends if you're willing to make some sacrifices up front.