Working at sams club — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about sams club pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at sams club

From Torrance,Ca — 10/15/2010

My store is a good one, so I understand why the company overall got such a low opinon.
I got hired as a cashier 3 months ago and just got a 40cent raise
( they add 30cents to every year experience you have to start) which
brings me up to $10.40, thats about two dollers more then any of my previous 7 payroll.
My employees are great, very helpful/funny I must be one of the three people that doesn't have a kid.

Pros of the job: very easy work, you get to where what you want; even a hat has long as you wear a vest. you get some benefits though if you get hired as part time as most people it takes a awhile. You are
scheduled based on what you put down so alot of the younger cashiers ( which makes up the majority like myself) gets to go to college and the older people work openings. Good hours.

Cons about the job: Selling pluses suck and you know they suck but you have to lie to a customer
and tell them how good it is. We have to sell one a week or we get a warning, then a coaching and then
you get transfered to a lower department such as lot. I guess some stores you have to sell one a day. Its hard to switch shifts now as you can no longer ask a superviser( COS) but now have to ask a manager and have an actual reason.

Pros about managers/COS's:
Most of the COS's get high but actually care about keeping their job so they are really laid back
and they all cuss and talk shit and do their job except if you need them when its busy
but its somewhat understandable since its 2-3 supervisors and 12 reigsters+ all the other front end stuff they worry about. Many times I should've gotten coached and didn't cause they like me.
The managers are really cool I talk about girls I've been with and talk shit with them and they keep it real
with me, maybe I am the ass-kisser? The managers are very hard workers and usually work 5 10hour day shifts on salary.

Cons:
All the supervisers talk alot with eachother and you wonder why you get talked to if you talk with another associate. All highschool dropouts so don't expect too much from them. They might move you around alot
because they didn't plan peope vs. schedule properly so don't get bummed out if your at the door or doing lot or merchandising throught the day. The marketing manager only speaks pluses so if you don't have them he would listen and won't like you since he gets bonuses based on amount of pluses the store makes.

Forget about moving up as a cashier since all the cos's have been there a minum for 5 years, have
provided some sort of "favors" to the managers,and are in the late 20's-late 30's. If your in
a department and befriend the area's manager and have been there for at least 2 years and the current team lead leaves then maybe you can become a department team lead.

Location is nice but inside is a little dim and ghetto in my opinion though what can you expect from a wherehouse.

I get respect, the cos's always ask instead of demanding people and always thank me although if
you would say no then you would be on their bad side and you probably would have it harder working there.

OVERALL: I like the job, its the best I have had, the pay is better then others and because the people aren't as edgucated/know that but are still nice people it makes me feel at home ( although I am in college LOL.)
You have to be a yes person and be open minded for requests such as doing the lot so someone can go on lunch, and it's not kissing ass, if you can't do that then probably anyjob working with a team is going to be hard for you. As a cashier you have to sell pluses, and if you are at one that is daily then it may get kind of nerve racking but in my experience( I sell one every other day) if you ask everyone you will get yeses so oh well TIP: persuade the ones who get expensive electronics as it adds a year to their warranty.
Alot of gossiping so don't put your two cents in as it will sureley get back to the person. Every year you get a bonus of 600-1200. Free membership for you and someone else. Great job for person in school.

From Madison/WI — 06/03/2010

Part of the problem with a job like Sam's Club is that there are people who do not know how to use the english language. There are low verbal and written communication skills between workers and workers and customers. In addition there are a number of people who lack basic social skills. This causes a negative work environment.

I did like some aspects of working there. I have a working disability and my supervisors and managers were willing to work around that. Our personnel manager made sure that we were taken care of. Because of my medical condition I was put on intermittent leave. This happened a couple of times. The managers were understanding and helped me out any way they could.

What I did not like was being laid off. I am still unemployed after about six months. A down sizing like this indicates that Sam's Club's self interest and mine were not the same in the end...It might be a blessing in disquise that I was laid off a dead end job.

-a former Sam's Club Product Demonstrator

From Buford, GA — 04/24/2010

I worked at Sam's Club for 3 years right after high school and into through most of college and honestly I loved it. The environment although had some drama and petty fights at times was awesome. Everyone had their different personalities and everyday you would meet someone new or talk to a new co worker and get to know them on a different level.

I worked there started off as a cart guy then did such a good job a manager took me in and put me as a part-time electronics sales associate then moved on into the photo lab. I loved my managers, loved the GM and pretty much everyone I worked with....no complaints and I am usually a pretty hard critic.

The only thing I would say sucks the most about that specific location is I believe the job security. I keep hearing the economy has gotten rid of some good employees the company had in that store.

I will always remember this job as one of my early favorites...now i'm an officer in the Navy with a bachelors degree from GA State in Journalism and Film.

If you go in it with a good mindset only good things can come from it.

From st. Louis missouri — 11/11/2009

I have worked for sams club going on 5 years now. I like my job and the people that I work with..give or take a few idiots and lazy co workers but that's everywhere right? I'm a supervisor and try my hardest to treat everyone with respect and appreciate them because you do work your ass off at sams. The only problem I have with the company is that they are afraid to fire anyone over fear of being sued...some people just need to be let go and it takes forever to get rid of them. The managers are pretty cool at my club but when I point things out to be fixed they are too busy to care. All in all sams is a good place to work if you can handle lifting walking and being screamed at by the members for things that aren't your fault..each club is different I'm sure. Its easy to be promoted after only 6 months or so I was, and I'm hoping to move into management by next year!

From Charleston, WV — 05/29/2009

In my store, the managers work with you, respect you, and trust you. It's the Walmart company, so they have the money to pay you and give decent benefits, but the Sams portion of the company is so much more respectful and considerate of their employees. My district manager, over the entire state, actually knows my name without looking at my nametag.

From Springfield MO — 01/13/2009

You work much harder than you are paid for. But the policies and people are fair and fun to work with.

From cinnaminson n.j — 06/01/2008

if you re a hardworker at sam s club, you are respected very well. they really appreciate their workers who they know they can count on. there are a few who are not team players, but the majority of the employees are. if you need time off for a faMILY EMERGENCY, THERE IS NO PROBLEM. I VE WORKED THERE FOR 11 YEARS AND IT WAS JUST LIKE ONE HAPPY FAMILY. I MUST SAY THAT IN THE END IT COMES DOWN TO THE G.M. I HAVE SEEN BAD G.MS LEAVE WITHOUT AND NOTICE. SAMS CLUB DOES LISTEN TO WHAT THEIR EMPLOYEES SAY ESPECIALLY IF YOU RE A GOOD WORKER.

From az — 02/22/2008

If you want to work at sam's club don't work as a cashier it's horrible old people every clogging up the lines and credit pushing you to sell credit. I worked their for 3yr it pretty easy. I started as a cashier then i went to be a cart pusher which was pretty laid back the only thing that sucked was the burning hot sun. Other than that having a cart pusher mule, you know the red thing, it was pretty simple no one over your back out there.

Then i ending up in the tire department that is the place to be I mean it was the most laid back job i had ever. I would remember during the summer time i just sat outside the service bays doing nothing for the whole day without a car ever coming in and earning 10hr for siting on my ass. If your in big city it probably would suck but in a small city there's not that many people buying tires. I mean you have total control usually the Manager know jack about car and tire and when a member complains they have to agree with us NOT THE member, for safety, which is reverse every else through out the store. I knew two guys that worked there crashed a big diesel truck entering the bay and didn't even get in trouble. We would watch each other ass out there when we where goofing around. Also if i every need a day off i would just ask my Team lead one day before a BAM DONE. Overall work in the tire department if you don't mind getting a little dirty Then hire Men and Women back there too. If you can't work there i would recommend work on the floor or electronic if you can. Just DON'T BE A CASHIER OR CREDIT SALESPERSON

From Colorado Springs, CO — 12/27/2007

Pay:the pay is okay, compared to other retail stores in the area, it's fine, not enough to live on as a single parent, but is okay for second income.

Respect:respected by some, others..your just a face walking around in a warehouse all day. it truly depends on who you know and who "likes" you.

Benefits:I can not comment on this, and will not speak for others, I do not take advantage of any form of medical, dental..etc. As far as Associate benefits you get free Sam's membership and 10% off all produce.

Job Security:Not worried about losing my job, as long as your on time, do your job and take care of business your a-okay.

Work/Life Balance:asked for days off due to appointments, was done right then and there, schedule fixed! Asked for hour changes due to family situation, got it, no problem...ever!

Career Potential/Growth:I feel as if this is up to the person at our store, as long as you conduct yourself in a professional manor and show others respect as well as display job knowledge, you have every opportunity to advance. Have cashiers who have been there for 10+ years they choose not to advance, but have supervisors there less than 2 years, it's up to the person.

Location:perfect, there are two stores, one at each end of town.

Co-Workers Competence:Supervisors could be more closely monitored as some tend to be the flirty "I'm here to look pretty" gals that don't do their jobs, but for the most part they are great.

Work Environment:I personally love it.....I think it depends on where you are, who you work with, who the managers in your store are and the attitudes of other Associates around you. For a second income I couldn't be more pleased, I'm not there to make life time buddies (although I know I have) and be popular, I am there to work and help support my family, as long as you keep your mind set that your going to go to work, leave the drama behind and just do what needs to be done you'll be fine. I expect nothing from anyone around me, but have come to realize I am being seen in a positive light for doing a good job.

Leave the childish mess behind, don't get caught up in drama and do your job, you'll be fine.

From Matthews,NC — 10/22/2007

I am probably one of the few people here who doesn't haven't many things to say about this place. I've worked at Sam's Club for over a year now and I've always been treated with an acceptable amount of respect. From what I've encountered so far, all you have to do is work hard, step your game whenever it's needed, and try to stay on everyone's good side. My manager is a nice guy and we've had our misunderstandings in the past, but overall we get along well. The people I work with our all good, hard working people except for one guy I work with but I'm sure he'll be gone soon. The environment isn't terrible, it can just get very hecktic because of the way the schedule is made. I am sure I have the best commute in the world, seeing as how I could walk to work if I wanted. I live across the street from Sam's Club and it's only about 200 ft away. As for the job security, I feel that your job will be secure just as long as you do what you're told and are willing to go the extra mile for needs to be done. Overall, I don't have much to vent about.