Working at Sam's Town Casino — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sam's Town Casino pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sam's Town Casino

From Shreveport, LA — 10/18/2009

Pay was given a +2 because it was comparable to other similar positions in the area. It was not given any higher because the maximum raise you can get(if one is authorized) is 2%. To receive a 2% raise, you must have a spotless record.

Respect was given a +3 because my immediate management team and coworkers gave me the respect I expected. It was not given any higher because higher management didn't know I existed, nor cared.

Benefits was given a +3 due to the benefits package in general was much cheaper than it could have been at a smaller business with less employees. I am single, and paid $55 a month for their health plan. The health plan included Medical/Dental/Vision. I did not give a higher rating due to the insurance company, CIGNA, were incompetent in my opinion. I had so many problems with them, it makes my blood boil now.

Job Security was given a +4 because no one else wanted to do what I did. Also, I had a great rapport with my immediate management team. It was also given a +4 due to the gaming industry. There will always be plenty of suckers willing to throw their money away for hopes of easy money.

Work/Life Balance was given a -3 because of the nature of the gaming industry. Working weekends/holidays/nights or evenings meant no social life. Of course, that is my personal opinion. Many enjoyed having weekdays off.

Career Potential/Growth was given a +2 because within my department, no one in management is leaving anytime soon. So, no chance of growth within the department. But, if you're willing to start from scratch in another department, you do have a great potential of moving up in management.

Location was given a -3 because the city is so small, distance wasn't a real factor. Safety was definitely a problem. Cars were broken into all the time in the public parking garage(and "security" is always in the garage). Yeah, right. You have nightclubs and a strip club next to the property. That's just more fuel for incidents to happen. General security of the downtown area needs a major overhaul. You know it's bad when security and the local police have to monitor every vehicle attempting to use the garage to keep the riff-raff out.

Co-worker competence was given a +2 because most did their jobs well. Behind the scenes though, was a different story. Many did their best to avoid work. Keep in mind this is just the department I worked in. I cannot speak for other departments.

Work Environment was given a -3 because I wasn't sure if any of the categories matched the venting I want to do here. Even though the US in general has been in a recession, the gaming industry in Louisiana hasn't been hit that hard. Of course, that is my opinion based on what I would see on a daily basis. What I would see is major understaffing. That is my main gripe. No one would do anything to resolve this issue. No one would even come up with ideas to work around the fact no one could be hired to keep up with demand. We would deal with complaints of bad and/or slow service. All we could do was say I'm sorry. That's it. I promise you, nothing would be done about slow/bad service outside of an apology(unless you're a high-roller). That drove me nuts!!

In my opinion, customer service is a joke at Sam's Town. I worked there over 10 years, and have seen the transition from Harrah's to Boyd Gaming. It's like night and day. In the five years Boyd Gaming has had the property, training for employees in general has been slim to none(which contributes to bad customer service). The atmosphere in general is best summed up as "Oh boy, here comes another customer. Damn." The facilities have high potential, but management has let the employee morale and training go downhill, fast.

From Shreveport La — 08/12/2008

This is a good company to work for however one of the Directors is extremly rude and will give you a a very bad impression of the whole company. She sends emails to the workers that are under her in bold capital letters. Using words that are very unprofessional and disrespectful. Who do you a director to without your job being in jeopardy. The pay is good, some of the workers lack respect for others. Uppermanagement needs some more training in communication skills. The benefits are better once they changed to another company. I am not comfortable with the job, because of this Director. The casino world is not one to enter if you have small children, they claim to be family oriented, but they are not. They do offer growth within the company but mostly who you know. It is in a good location. I have a wonderful manager and teammebers they are very well versed in their jobs. We work for a hearsay Director, she has been over us for one year and still do not know any of us. The work environment is suppose to be exciting, however they have deflatted a lot of the worker. They refuse to hire enough staff to cover the department then complain about overtime. I really do not think that the owners, which is family owned know the extent this lady goes to when dealing with her department.