Working at Sam Ash Music — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sam Ash Music pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sam Ash Music

From southern u.s. — 04/07/2010

I have to say this is the hardest job I have had, and I am an adult with lots of experience. I can not bash the company that took a chance on me when I needed a job. But, times and business have changed so much over the years, I am scraping by financially, and mentally. Working on commission is degrading, it will always be that way. I can't begin to explain the torture of looking at your monthly check, and feeling so exhausted. I am sure anyone out there on commission knows how it feels. Car salesmen have it rough, but try making a living on 15 dollar items, and occasional thousand dollar sales where you are only promised 2 percent. I make a good living compared to the rest of the store, but am in no shape to raise a family, or invest on my salary. The owners of my company have failed the sales staff of the nation, and I can't blame them. The bottom line is the bottom line, I have a business degree, I am aware of the "big picture". To move into management is more headache and less money 90 percent of the time. The management structure has changed so drastically, that it is hard to pinpoint job accountability. It is chaos at work, and weighs so heavy on the mind that many good employees have had to leave because of it. I don't know how I press on. I can't imagine the families of some of my associates, and what they have to endure to get by. I have no magical strategy, business plan, or higher understanding of how to fix the situation. From the CEO, to the sales floor, warehouse, and door we are witnessing first hand the death of music retail. I am in a top rated store.I love my job, and this is the truth that lurks over all of our heads daily.

From United States — 06/01/2009

I see a lot of negativity from the other employee's or x-employee's who have posted on here. I'm NOT a disgruntled employee, but would like to comment here for all those who wish to read.

Sam Ash Music is a great experience for me. Unfortunately the salary is about what I could be making flipping burgers fulltime, But would I have the same amount of fun w/ burgers? NO! In my situation, I enjoy the experience at work more than the financial benefit. I love being involved in the musical careers and experiences of our customers. Yes I'm here to sell you a product, but I can atleast give you one of the best experiences in a music store you've ever had! ESPECIALLY CHILDREN! Open their minds to the potential of music!

As far as the management goes, It's based upon whatever store you are at! Where I am, the management is 100% tasked and on board to assist the needs of it's employee's and customers. Our satisfaction rate from customers is above expectations.

Now for the negatives. Unfortunately how the music industry as a whole opporates, sometimes it's hard to get items into the store in a timely manner. Is this our fault? Is this the vendors fault? I honestly couldn't say. It's a 50/50! I've had plenty of times where I've ordered a product and it's taken 2 months to come in for a customer. I think this is unacceptable, but there are ways to work around problems like this and satisfy customers! Think outside the box sometimes to accomplish your goals!

Another negative is dealing with benefits. I've heard a few times that even though our pay is not the best, we get an employee discount that helps us. Unfortunately customers get better deals than we can most of the time... Also for myself, I don't need the discount, I'm not in a band, and don't have friends in bands.

All in All I enjoy working at Sam Ash Music, Yes the pay SUCKS, but the environment is wonderful. Where else do you get to spend your day around music, having fun and making a few bucks? (really... a FEW bucks) I do wish that the company did more Advertising for sales and events, or atleast tried different avenue's of marketing. Atleast I can say in this economy I have a stable reliable job!!!