Working at Sally Beauty Supply — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sally Beauty Supply pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sally Beauty Supply

From Arizona — 09/28/2010

I've worked in two different stores. The first one had a completely useless manager who did nothing and the store got shut down.

The second one had a completely opposite sort of manager who loved her store to death.

Overall:
The benefits are only good for full time workers.

The pay is okay, you can start at $8 with previous retail experience, but they should give better raises if you stay with the company and are dedicated to it.

There is a high turnover because of the pay and the hours.

The hours is the number one thing I hated about it, they only give you 80-100-or so hours for an entire store for all hourly employees. That gives you like maybe one fulltime person, and that's usually the assistant manager.

They are very cheap and give you bad computer equipment that broke multiple times in a year.

We need a scanning system, we are still in the dark ages!

The pros are:
It can be a really fun place to work if you have decent co-workers and care about the beauty industry.
It's easy to learn everything, and easy to move up if you're really passionate about it.
You get to try a few products for free every month.
If you are willing you can learn how to sell things pretty well.

I ended up loving this job but quitting because I moved.
I would work there again IF, they'd compensate me properly for knowing how to do everything highly efficiently, and having a good education to top it.

From ny — 07/02/2010

Great place to work. Has its ups and downs. Pay isn't great, but the benefits make up for it. Usually short handed and can get very stressful, but overall, it's a rewarding job and having a great team, like my own, plus wonderful upper management makes it that much better. I've been a manager for about 5 years now, after working my way up from a part time position, and I completely reccomend anyone to work with us, that is, of course, as long as you're not lazy and you're actually willing and able to do the work required.

From Denton, TX — 04/21/2010

I work at the Support Center, which is the company's headquarters. Overall, it's not a bad place to work, depending upon on which department. Mine is okay, I have heard others are great, and still others are horrible. It depends on who the manager is. Pluses include good benefits and stability (I don't think we've laid anyone off during the past couple of years when a lot of companies have), minuses are the pay (big time... the pay here stinks) and growth potential. They want you to just stay in your job and be happy forever. There is no training and if you try to apply for a better job within the company, your manager has to know about it and holds it against you forever. As far as recommending working here or not, I can't say either way. It depends upon your department. Overall I think there are better places, but I am sure there are worse. If you do apply, just be prepared to take a huge pay cut from whatever you are making now!

From Michigan — 04/21/2010

This job has been an amazing opportunity for me! Even though I only started 5 mo. ago I have enjoyed every day! I have a very understanding boss who I look up to and respect so much! And a supervisor who is always very friendly and encouraging! I love working for this company! I get free products every month and health care! I find it very easy to go to work everyday! the workplace is very encouraging and very respectful. And this company was generous enough to start me off working at above minimum wage! I think that is very generous considering I am only working in retail sales! The hours aren't always the most abundant but that can't always be helped and I understand that! My store has to make their budget so sometimes we have to take one for the team which is quite alright if you ask me, because I really like the team i am apart of! They are supportive and caring and I feel very comfortable around the people I work with! God blessed me when he sent me this job and such an awesome team of coworkers and management to be apart of! This is an awesome place to work! I LOVE WORKING AT SALLY'S!!!!!!! =)

From michigan — 04/21/2010

I have been with Sally Beauty for over 20+ years, we have all had the bad mgr or dm issue in the past, but if you like what you do you work through it. Like in other posts there is an employee abuse hotline,but i feel if you cannot talk to your mgr there is always someone above to help.I ask nothing of my people to do what i myself wouldn't do, and as far as the trip, we have to work right along side of our employee's to get this, it is not a given thing.Alot has to do with product knowledge and if you are supported in learning this it does make a difference.Right now there is not much room for advancement, ( so muuch for people not liking the company right?], but if you choose to relocate there are positions open.The benifits are also for full and parttime people, not to many companies do this. I am not saying every day is sunshine and roses,and and extra pat on the back would be super great,but i feel they are fair and I love my staff, even on some bad days but when you can help someone and they give you a Thank You for making a differance to them.

From michigan — 04/13/2010

I have worked for Sallys for 10 years and they have been a great place to work. I admit that I didn't always get along with my supervisors, but the company is good. The benifits are nice and you don't have to be full time to get them. They also offer 401k and profit sharing which is basically like free money. When you have a good manager they are always willing to work with you on days off and I know that I always work for any of my girls when they need a sick day. You automatically get free products to try and also get chances to earn some really nice things just for doing your job. Starting pay is based upon knowledge for the job, and raise are based upon how fast you are learning and you interaction with customers and other employees. If you decide to work for them atleast give it time, advancement can be very fast and if you choose to make it a career, it can be very rewarding!

From michigan — 04/11/2010

Some would say there's a love hate relationship with this company. Some days it is a blast to go in and almost feel like your just hanging out with the girls. Not so much stress, easy work load, no nasty comments or voicemails. The only thing that makes a huge strain is the tension from up above. There was a previous post that summerized said employees of sallys doesnt have it very hard. Its just retail work. Face a few shelves and use a broom, big whoop right? If you believe the front runners for this company has it so easy then you have absolutly no idea what this company this is and how to maintain it. I wish the higher-ups could ease on the "cut hours here", "automatic termination here", every week almost we listen to someone saying how we are going to lose our jobs if this or that doesnt happen. It pulls on you when you walk into a company that you enjoy for the most part, and before your coat is off you get a list of things that aren't up to par, things that need to be changed, an update about what you better not be doing because if you do its an automatic termination. But where is the "hey there great job with that sale the other day, and keep up the great work". overall its great to have a job, but it could be improved as i am sure most jobs can.

From Michigan — 04/09/2010

It is a shame to hear all of the bad comments about management. I am sorry that you feel Sally's is not a great place to work. I have worked for a Sally's for 5 years and have always strived to meet my goals and worked hard through promotions I have gotten where I am today. I work very hard at my job and anyone of the girls working at my store will tell you that. I am always available to them for all of there problems, cover all their hours when they want vacations, are sick, coming in on my days off if needed. I know that they would do the same for me it is called teamwork. As for the benefits I think that they are pretty good considering. Alot of comments were used talking about the economy and how that is affecting sales and meeting goals, well lets use the economy in another respect in todays economy you are not going to find a ten dollar in hour retails job, how many incentive points do you think the Walmart cashier gets, I wonder if target gives paid vacations to part time employees, I have never gotten scratch offs at any other ratail job. Best of all for part time employees you can get health insurance at minimal prices. People complained about not getting noticed and praise, do you think you are going to get that from the kids you drive the school bus for at your new job. Yes, I do agree that every company has some issues and that there is always bad employees in every company that make for a very bad experience. Just beacuse it happened in a handful of stores does not make the whole company bad. We are a growing comany and I think that if you are looking for something challenging and are willing to step up and take charge you can help shape the company into the future.

From ST LOUIS MO — 03/02/2010

I HAVE WORKED FOR THIS COMPANY FOR A LITTLE OVER A YEAR....I STARTED OUT AS A TEN HOUR A WEEK PART TIMER...MOVED TO 25 HOURS WITH IN 2 WEEKS....THEN MOVED TO 40 HOURS IN ABOUT 10 MONTHS...THEN ON TO MANAGEMENT IN A YEAR......I AGREE THE MONEY ISNT ALL THE GREATEST, BUT THERE ARE ALOT OF INCENTIVE FOR THE EMPLOYEES AND THE MANAGERS BENEFITS ARE GREAT....IT SEEMS TO ME LIKE ALL OF THE COMPLAINTS ON THIS SITE IS ALL DUE TO POOR MANAGEMENT......I HAD A BAD MANAGER SO I KNOW WHERE SOME OF YOU ARE COMING FROM......BUT OVER ALL IT IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK...YOU NEED TO ENJOY PEOPLE AND ALSO KNOW ABOUT THE PRODUCTS...

From NJ — 02/24/2010

I have worked my way up to store manager from a part time employee. It is a demanding job for not so great pay. HOWEVER, they are a fair and good company to work for. If you do your job, you have a secure jobe, we are a growing company, while everyone else is closing their doors, we are opening them. If you are hired by us, and you think you can get away with hanging out doing nothing,...think again.