Working at Sallie Mae — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Sallie Mae pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Sallie Mae

From Reston, VA — 08/21/2010

I loved working for Sallie Mae. I slept my way to the top and it was the best ride of my life. Thanks Sallie!!!!

From USA — 07/25/2010

My biggest pet peeve was that in the time I was employed by then my work station was changed more than 5 times. 2005-2007. You then had to add all your favorites and bookmarks which enabled you do your job over and over. The pay was great for the area but you sure earned your pay. My last straw was requesting a seating change due to the singing by more than one employee and having my request refused. The biggest stressor was seeing other employees, on a daily basis, being escorted out of the building.(fired) You were never able to feel secure. One complete training class was laid off on the day they thought they would begin regular employment. My best day was my last day with no fear of being fired. (already was) My supervisor shadowed all the cases I completed that day. Not knowing me, even though I had worked with her for 6 months assumed I would screw up cases on purpose. (how sad) Moved on to better things.

From Muncie, IN — 06/24/2010

I've worked for Sallie Mae for over 2 years and I still love my job. It's not my dream job, but it's a job that pays a decent living. If you take pride in the job, it's really not that bad. In the city of Muncie, there aren't many jobs for people without college degrees, and Sallie Mae provides a good job that isn't food service or manual labor. The job isn't that hard. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't have any respect for the job and some who come in just to get fired and collect unemployment. For those who take it seriously, it's great. Dealing with borrowers is not that hard, and all it takes is a little bit of people skills. Knowing the job is fairly easy. Instead of complaining that you don't make a million dollars a year, you look for ways to make more money than you make now. The monthly bonuses are a great incentive to strive for success. By asserting yourself to the supervisors (not sucking up), you will be respected and now I have supervisors coming to me for help. I would recommend Sallie Mae to anyone who needs a job and wants to work.

From Wilkes Barre Call Ce — 09/08/2007

My pay is above average for a job that anyone could do with a little effort. There is little to no respect for the most intelligent workers, they are treated the exact same as the workers who can do a thing correctly. Good reps get special projects to do and occasionally get a break from the phones. Job security is good for the better reps, because the bad one get pruned by having to do OT they cant handle or bad score cards. Management is mostly people who have been around for awhile, some good supervisors, most jaded and do their jobs poorly. Favorites are obviously chosen. Most other call center employees are in India or Mexico and do their jobs HORRIBLY, probably poor training and a tremendous culture and language barrier. Promotion is luck, someone else quits or gets promoted you have a fight for the one position with favorites, qualification has nothing to do with promotion.