Working at Salary.com — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Salary.com pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Salary.com

From Needham, MA — 03/11/2010

As a former employee I thought I'd throw my $.02. I agree with portions of some of the posts here. I will list my good bad and ugly!

The Good: This company has a solid foundation with it's data set and compensation products that are a huge money maker. They treat their people well as long as you are loyal and want to work for a living. There are some long standing sales people who make money, not because they hold any secrets to themselves, but because they simply out work the rest of you who complain about them. The Sr VP of Sales has made several moves in the last few years to try and maximize opportunity for individuals, the organization, maximize geo coverage, run a sales organization the has been forced to sell products outside of the organizations core competencies and navigate a politically charged environment. Overall, not an easy task. The quality of people are this organizations greatest strength.

The Bad: They tend to rush products to market before they are battle tested and proven. Too much QA is performed by customers. They made the investment in a payroll company without proper due diligence and have been spread far to thin since. Because of the politically charged environment, people are hesitant to bring real issues and problems to CERTAIN members of the Executive team.

The Ugly: The Politics. An organizations culture starts at the top and cascades throughout the ranks. CERTAIN members of the Executive team manage through fear and intimidation. Others manage simply to try and promote themselves and their careers.

Overall: If Paul can change the culture (which will take some time) this could be an amazing organization. A couple Executives still need to go before that can happen. My message to you younger folks who feel like you're being taken advantage of: Either start to work you tail off and keep you head down or get out. You will find that every organization has issues you will need to deal with. I promise you this: You run from one issue after another, you will be running your entire career! For the rest of you, stop bitching and complaining and do something about it. Don't play into the politics and and make sure you bring problems to management. Overall this organization has a tremendous number of VERY bright people. I think the Sr VP of Sales did you all a huge favor by risking her job to call out what isn't working. If you continue to bury your heads and just exist, instead of working hard and calling a spade a spade, this company will never realize it's true potential.

From Needham, Mass — 03/08/2010

I agree with the last person - if you don't like it, why don't you just leave? I think it's a great company to work for and yes, we had a founder CEO who was a little tough to deal with but now he's moved on. Yes the CTO has been a little out of control and sales have sucked, and the marketing/strategy guy hasn't done much of anything. But hello, we've been in a recession so it's not like things are all rosey elsewhere. There are alot of exciting possibilities for us and trust me folks it could be alot worse. The pay is not bad, (wud like a 401k match though), the people are smart and fun to work with and there is a lot of potential here. It seems like most of the people posting here are sour former employees who were fired for some reason and can't just let it go. And if there are current employees posting about how miserable they are, well they should just leave so that the rest of us can move forward. Without their negativity. Hopefully non-Salary.com readers aren't putting too much stock in the comments here - it's pretty embarassing.

From Needham — 03/05/2010

I am currently employed her as well, I am also thankful to have a job in this economy! I have read some of the postings, bashing certain employees of the company. I think it takes a lot of Balls to stand up or write a letter stating that the CEO should be fired. It takes more balls to do that than to hide behind a negative post. Its true at times the company sucks to work for and we may all have issues with the people we work for and with. It is also true that sometimes Salary.com is great to work for. I love the fact that I can still provide food for my family every 1st and 15th of the month. I am hopeful with the recent change we have made at the company will return to that place where it was a few years ago. Is the company perfect noway! but again what company is. If your bashing the company autonomously while you still work here on this site maybe you should get a check up from the neck up. If I recall no one forces you to work here. Maybe you should grow some balls, sell some product or get a new job.

From Waltham, MA — 06/15/2007

Company as a whole isn't bad. Leadership and direction have a lot to be desired. But the grass is always greener and it's about the devil you know. I believe compensation is accurate, but I think their expectations are a little high with the tools they DON'T provide to help you be successful. With a little marketing and a shake up in management, there is potential.