Working at Saint Gobain Containers — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Saint Gobain Containers pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Saint Gobain Containers

From Waxahachie,Tx. — 12/30/2009

Since the closure of our plant in Waxahachie,Tx. on 3/27/2009, my thoughts have not changed except for me having more time to generally soak in the aftermath of the way all of us at Waxahachie were treated as a whole by Saint Gobain. I feel like we were dumped, like the rug pulled out from under us. We were put on layoff on 11/26/2008 then announce to us on 3/27/2009 they were closing us because they could not find enough products to get us going again. As a whole, our plant may have been the smallest(one tank-3 lines),all us union members in general worked well together as we all knew one another thru the years and we communicated well. Since Saint Gobain took over, I can relate to everyone on this board saying that SGC management has sucked. In recent years since 2000,their has been too much turnover and too much increase in management when the workforce numbers have gone down. Not all of the management has been bad,just the new ones that have come in recently and they had no clue to how to run a glass plant. All that had to be done at our plant was to let the experience take care of things as it had for so many years before and to listen to the experienced people who knew what was going on from day to day. Since newer management came in the last 5-6 years,moral went down,write ups went thru the roof,they would threaten us,did not respect us, so as of result of this, our safety went down, our quality went down, and it just dominoed till things came to the point where they decided to close us down. It sucked! The work was not the problem, I worked in the Mold Shop as a Mould Cleaner and though it was a physical job, I enjoyed the job as a whole because of the relationship we had in the shop as we all got along and communicated well and were friends. It made things much easier. We worked our butts off but we got things done. That all changed when we got our last supervisor who was young and had no experience in managing or people but yet he knew it all since he had a degree. He would not listen to the Mould Makers much on things and always went against the grain on things in general. Him,our plant manager & plant engineer were all real winners. The manager hired them so he was the whole problem from the start as he was a numbers and grafts guy as well as being very arrogent, if you get my drift. As a whole, I will be suprised if Saint Gobain Containers stays open another 10 years with the management that is in place now. I hope that does not come true since I have retirement to still get in 11 years, so I have to wait. The rest of you just hang in there and stand your ground. Don`t let them get the best of you. As you can see, it is not better on the other side of the fence, so to speak. We all are a victim of the economy and our government(both sides are responsible-what a joke).

From Wichita Falls Texas — 12/20/2009

It is a shame that so many complain about their jobs. I worked for this company for 311/2 years(maintenance mechanic) and thought I had it pretty good unit they decided to close the plant. A lot of coworkers complained about the company....now look at the mess we are all in........700 in Wichita Falls without jobs. I personally liked my job, I had a good salary and good benefits. I would take it back in a heart beat, I am looking at other Saint-Gobain plants for employment. Any suggestions?

From Worcester R&D — 10/03/2009

This is a really neat place to work. The buildings are old, but there is a lot of space, so most people have offices with windows. I've worked in a cube farm before, and this is wonderful.

There is a focus on delivering on projects, but that is what our job is in R&D.

There are some large company annoyances, but from my experience you get those at any large company, where there are policies in place for purchasing, organizing information, etc. When I worked at a smaller R&D company in a cube farm, there was a lot more flexibility about purchasing, and a lot more grey area about policies.

Co-workers are very diverse, with people from all over the world. It adds another dimension to the workplace, and makes it a lot more interesting. There are occassional challenges, and some communication issues to deal with, but it is not that big a deal, and similar to how life was at College (RPI).

Overall it is a good place to work, with lots of opportunity.

From Northboro, MA — 10/02/2009

I used to have a co-worker in coated abrasives who I really didn't get along with, he was so annoying and my boss didn't care, and didn't do anything to fix the situation. I was very annoyed.

In 2008 I was able to switch into the Plastics group, and things have been good since then, they are much cooler.

The pay is OK, it is simiar to what I used to make at Applied Rubber and Plastics in Hartford (Sr. Technician). The benefits here are a little better.

Work life balance is good for most people. Some people seem to work like crazy hours, but I think that is by choice.

I'm not sure what the growth options are, I'm pretty comfortable where I am.

Most of the people I work with are cool. There are some people that are hard to understand, but it is kind of neat working with people from all over the world.

From Northboro/Worcester, MA — 10/01/2009

There is a lot of focus on delivering in the R&D group, and on results. It is not an easy place to hide in a corner. Some of the buildings in the Worcester site are old, but the labs are generally in good shape, and there is a lot of space there. The Northboro site is more modern, but a bit congested.

Coming from grad school, it has a very similar feel. It is very international. It is not uncommon to hear 3 diferent languages being spoken in the lunch room. There are pros and cons to this, but overall I think it is a good thing.

The stability has been good over the last year, considering what the economy has done.

I had one time where my boss seemed to change every year for 5 years, but more recently things have been very stable for me personally.

From Sapulpa,Ok — 04/20/2009

Good Pay, Good Benefits management are on a power trip. Lots of B.S if you know what i mean

From Milford, MA — 04/05/2008

Staring pay with no past experience is over $15 per hour. Top union job pays $30 an hour. Company offers both a pension plan and 401k with a match which you never see both these days. Cost for health care is cheap compared to other companies and coverage is excellent! Since it is a union shop with a new 5 year contract, job security is excellent! The company does have a strick no fault absentee policy so you must be a good attender or you can lose your job for poor attendance. Otherwise good workers have no issue with this company.Job advancement id by seniority but you can get to the hot end side of the bisiness quickly. These people make the big bucks! The company also offers apprentice programs in maintenance arreas too but openings are limited. Work environment is a factory floor so it does get cool in the winter and warm in the summer. Most jobs require standing up all day and continuous operation means you never shut anything down. Slow workers will have a problem. Career growth is excellent an I do not know many employers offering $30 an hour for someone without a trades background. You must have a high school diploma because most of the equipment requires use of computers and all instructions are in English. Most coworkers are helpful but like evry place some are jerks. It is a production environment so be prepared tp work hard for the opportunity. Most jobs are rotating shift since the factory is open 24/7 including holidays. Holidays pay triple time rate!