Working at Safety-Kleen — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Safety-Kleen pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Safety-Kleen

From Pueblo, CO — 05/21/2010

Greatest place I ever worked for! You make your own destiny with this outfit. Its like having your own business without the business expenses. Set your own route, meet very interesting and nice people. Great people to work with. The only thing is if you can't sell and create new customer base then it is probably not the place for you. You have to be aggressive and focused. Many of the postings on this site referring to Safety-Kleen have to be from disgruntled folk that "didn't get it" from the get go. My bosses were very easy to work with, understanding, proud of your workmanship, supportive, and would work with your lifestyle (If you needed a day off to take care of things or you had a midday appointment they were fine with that). But you do have to make revenue, create new revenue, and take care of existing customers. Again, a great place to BE!!!

From Plano, TX — 04/11/2010

I've been with Safety-Kleen for a little over 5 years now, and I never wake up in the morning dreading work. I absolutely love it there. I work with so many great people and have the opportunity to meet and talk to others in the field. I work in the corporate office, and I know we catch a lot of grief, but I just take it in stride and try to do better the next time. This job is a constant learning experience for me. I've learned so much since my first day.

The pay isn't the best, but I've seen and had worse. We did have a 5% pay decrease and 5 furlough days last year, but we were still employed which is more that I can say for a lot of companies in the current economy. We also received 2.5% back, and as far as I know, there are no rumors or plans to repeat the furlough days.

Again, I work in the corporate office, so I don't experience a horrible work environment, though I do sympathize with anyone who does.

Maybe by some quirk of fate, I lucked into a wonderful department, but I cannot express enough that I love my job. I hope to have many more years there. Learning and growing.

From Lexington, SC — 04/04/2010

This was the weirdest place I have ever worked. What made it horrible was I worked in the office and our office manager was a complete unprofessional. I actually had her take candy out of my desk and eat it. When I said something she thought it was funny, wasn't so funny when it was rancid and I planned on taking it back to the store until the pig ate it. She used to literally take baths in the ladies room. If you went in after her there was baby powder all over the place and water all over the floor. Laidlaw bought us and decided to close our plant and this idiot took it upon herself to give her son in law, an insurance agent or something like that, the employee list complete with Social Security numbers. That's when the complaints started big time and she was removed from her job before the lay offs began. The real story here is our office manager acted like some weirdo idiot with no judgement or common sense and the plant manager wouldn't do anything about her until people contacted HR to say some stranger had their Social Security number and the office manager had given it to him. If either of the idiots thought Laidlaw would move them to another job that was gone once personnel realized we had a slack ass plant manager that had ignored complaints and an Office Manager that should have been cleaning out public toilets. And all the ladies that worked in that office were so nice and the office manager and her assistant (a whole 'nother story) made it awful. Glad Laidlaw bought them and got rid of both of them, they didn't deserve to be employed.

From north east — 03/16/2010

Be the change you wish to see in the company!! BE THE CHANGE-- YOU-- wish to see in the company. I think if you guys put as much effort into your jobs as you do about wining you would do better.!!
It starts with YOU!!!

From Tennessee — 03/07/2010

I have been employed at the Kleen for several years. I must say right out, I very much enjoy my job! I work (the blue collar kind) very hard and I am paid much more than I would be to do the same job elsewhere. This being said, the company seems to have lost site of its largest revenue producer, its employees. I have witnessed several pay changes over the years, and it does seem that each time it changes, the reps are losing. Most of the guys I work with are good people, and have been with the company several years also. In the past we made an excellent team, morale was high, and everyone was focused on winning as a group. The latest pay changes for reps have been in effect for more than a year now. The plan takes focus away from revenues and shifts it to a points scale. What idiot did this? We now have management expecting revenues, and reps looking for quick points to get paid. Sales reps and service reps are now in direct competition for parts cleaner placements that are getting slimmer everyday. In the spring of 2009 we had a "riff" which is code for layoff. We lost 15% of our personnel, but our work load didn't decrease nearly that much. The remaining team has struggled through a year of overtime and Saturday work to the point that everyone is burnt. I hear talk daily in the branch about how much people hate there jobs, they feel used, trapped and unappreciated. Our branch has lost all morale. Between the pay changes and a reduction in force, I feel like our once great team is unraveling at the seams. Its unfortunate, this company once was focused on its employees and its customers, now it seems it truly is just a numbers game. I must admit, some days i do feel like an SK zombie. We recently went through.... gag... another reorganization early this year. It mostly affected people above the branch level, we have a new CEO, and hopefully a plan to right the ship. If you are planning to interview with SK, you can ride along on a route for a day before you decide if your interested. DO IT! You will see hard working people making respectable pay and benefits. This job isn't for everyone, I'm looking hopefully towards the company's future.

Upper Management Advice

Please try to bring cohesion back to the branch's. This could be in pay structure, positive feedback, and cleaning house of the dead weight that stinks up the branch.

Whats with the time wasting paperwork? I'm required to fill out four pieces of paper daily and have it triple check by management. I drive your truck down the road loaded with waste, I can be trusted with a roll of pigmat. I also dont need to sit in front of a computer typing and retyping information for 30 minutes a day for six weeks. (LIT training) Very large waste of time. Help me do my job more efficiently instead of piling on more training and useless paperwork.

Have the BGM communication corporates plans. We work work work and feel like we are the only SK branch. How are we doing as a company? Do we have goals? What changes were made in the new reorganization? Who are the people that create pay plans, do they except feedback? Whats with constantly changing pricing and part #'s?

Bottom line, I like my job but i feel like my company is slipping away. Hopefully the new CEO and reorganization will set us on the right track again.

From Midwest — 01/20/2010

I think that all of you were told to leave for various reasons and are bitter. Get a hug and move on. Nobody wants to hear this garbage. Put the effort into a job that you did here and we wont hear from you again. I happen to think this place is not that bad and it is even better with you morons gone.

From Romulus, MI — 12/09/2009

SK has been there for me, what can I say. There's been opportunity for advancement, great benefits, pay(though, constantly changing). There are a lot of good people working for SK. Just remember that you are the professional there, don't get caught up in the company politics or you might just get the broom.

From Cranston,RI — 12/22/2008

Safety Kleen bought out a nice company Advanced Liquid. Now working conditions are terrible. The rules are terrible. Safety Kleens bad reputation followed them to Advanced Liquid. Now the drivers are miserable. There is no respect for the employees. It seems they are trying to weed out the people with seniority or age so they can put their own in, or hire inexperienced people for less money.