Working at Safeco — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Safeco pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Safeco

From Seattle — 07/23/2009

I've been with the company for over 10 years. It's a great place to work if you're a competent, hard worker. I feel appreciated, listened to, and respected. This isn't the feeling across the board, certainly. Transitions are hard - perseverance is required. There are a lot of people that are doing a great job maneuvering through what can be a foggy path - that's what it takes, that's what makes it exciting, challenging, and in the end rewarding.

From WA — 01/13/2009

Okay, when I was first hired I was thrilled. My boss stated there was growth and I was perfect for another dept and she would help me get there. Lets fast forward! I got back from training I had an offer right away for another dept. My boss yelled at me for 15 minutes for asking to move. I then got two more offers within 8 months to move depts. Again she yelled and screamed at me for wanting to move depts where I was appreciated. so that is why I rated respect at a -1. The benefits are pretty good but a little pricey. With the buy out there is no job security right now for my friends. I was let go and couldn't have been happier.
I gave the work life balance a '0' because I had to come in on the weekends a few times and once I found someone sleeping in their cubiclce on the floor. Plus, people were taking their work home and putting in on a disk drive. Which was not okay, because it kept their managers thinking they could handle 12 new claims a day. managers had no clue of whats really going on.
Best of luck to those at the company, it just wasn't for me.

From Call Center — 01/06/2009

Before I comment on anything, please remember that I know that there are worse jobs out there, especially in insurance.

I've been with Safeco a little over a year. I was hired as a CCP. I started with Safeco after finsihing college. I had some insurance experience while going to school, so I have an idea of what the industry is like. My plan was to work in the call center for awhile to gain an "all around" exposure to different types of claims and then become an adjuster. Now, I just want to leave!

I think there are two companies here: Safeco and the call center. The call center is overly micro-managed. Everything is tracked and recorded for quality purposes, including your monitors. Quality purposes they may be, forcing someone to keep all your screens in a particular place...give me a f'n break! I am an adult, not a pre-schooler! Productivity is tracked by seconds....and don't be as much as 3 seconds over at the end of the month! What a joke. I want to leave so bad, this job has taken a toll. There are constantly people on your back, wondering what you are doing. They think that forcing people to do certain things will help, but in reality they are only lowering overall morale. If you try to take 2 seconds in between calls of all kinds (yes, really bad calls), they are wondering what they are doing. Well...excuse me for breathing, and for having to go pee. I am human, I DO have to leave my desk to go urinate you know! You are a robot. As a CCP, they can change your breaks the same day...and with short notice...you get a schedule change pop up. Forget trying to plan anything, such as having lunch with someone.

They think by pushing everything into the Express team (100% liability, no injuries). This speeds up the claim process. In reality, the only thing that these companies are doing are saving money by giving people a small raise instead of hiring more adjusters or decent. They're not fooling anyone!

The call center's focus in on customer service. This is good, but at the same time, customers are pissed because they cannot reach their adjusters. Customers do not understand that adjuster have MANY MANY other claims besides theirs. No one can ever reach the adjusters. This is because they are always on the phone taking statements and dealing with their own heavy workload. In the end, the customer is never happy and the CCP gets screamed up. Management cannot get through their heads that striking the whip on the CCPS is NOT going to change unhappy customers. Why can't they get this? This gap has to change!!

I would gladly welcome termination at this point. I am so unmotivated now, like a zombie, that I don't even have the energy to run my ass out of this department. I have never had a job where I was so "controlled" and I think that this is the problem between me and this company. They want to control, and I don't want to be controlled, so I will have to leave in the end. And before a UM comes on here, I will tell you I have NOTHING to hide by not wanting to be controlled to this extent and that is not why I feel insulted everyday. It is because it appears there is no TRUST.

I do not recommend this company to anyone. I am leaving as soon as possible.

----------------------
Respect: Can't speak for everyone, but I think that all the managers treat everyone with respect as far as I can tell, except for trying to control people.

Benefits: Ok, could be worse, but I think they have gotten slightly got worse in some specific situations since we were acquired by Liberty Mutual.

Job Security: There is none. They will fire you as fast as you walk in the door. If you even hint that you don't want to be there, they will let you go because their motto is, "If you don't want to be here, we don't want you here either." I kinda agree :)

Work/Life Balance: In some positions I'm sure there is, but in the call center forget it. However, someone has to intake claims at all hours, don't they?

Career Growth: Yes, but that is because everyone leaves.

Location: Ok, parking is not bad.

Co-worker Competence: They do hire brilliant people, but I think it hurts when there is not thorough training and TIME for training.

Work Environment: Stressful as hell, but all insurance companies are. It is horrible at Safeco because you are micro-managed to the point where some employees are about to lose it.

From Seattle, WA — 06/25/2008

Pay: It is widely assumed, probably known, that Safeco does not pay anything extraordinary. People that leave the company for competitors gain significant pay raises but those trying to flee the awful competitors are negotiating well for themselves to get their salary or slight pay increase.

Employee Respect has seemed to wane in the last few years. The company has a noticable commitment to diversity when hiring employees, making agent appointments, vendor contracts.

The benefits are not bad at all. Health insurance seems well subsidized by the company, vacation amount is great after just a few years, and sick leave is more than is needed by a healthy, happy employee.

concerns with job security is an issue, with the constant outsourcing of non insurance functions to vendor companies, turnover at the top and down, the merger with Liberty Mutual.

At least in Seattle, where the company is based, the opportunities for advancement have seemed endless.

Safeco's largest offices are in two downtown Seattle towers, and the company is very forward thinking with their telecommuting, carpool and transit subsidies.

I usually feel that the people nearby know what they are doing.

Currently things in general feel a bit on edge, though arguably more relaxed with the announced merger, people do not seem so frantic about what COULD happen. The offices are very nice, with a lot of amenities, great views, technology, Herrman Miller everything.

From St. Louis — 05/09/2008

Been in the industry for a while, and here are my thoughts regarding claims and the environment. Volume is an issue at any claims organization. Ask any claim rep - anywhere. If you are a decent adjuster, you would do fine at Safeco.

Most departments are in need of people with positive attitudes who are willing to rise up above the fray, and try to make a positive difference rather than sitting back and complaining. A person who is willing to try hard and set goals for themselves to succeed, and develop and work on their leadership skills will succeed.

People who have issue with their manager should sit down with the manager and address the issues directly rather than posting anonymously on a web-site. And if the issue can't be resolved by direct contact with the manager, it should be brought up with the next level of management.

It has been my experience that Safeco has an open-door policy and that most managers want their employee's feedback. I recommend that you manage up to your manager and not complain.

If you are miserable handling claims here, you will be miserable anywhere, and you should think about a career change. This place is awesome compared to other companies.

From Indianapolis, IN — 04/18/2008

Based on my experience, the expectations here at Safeco are very reasonable. While challenging with regard to workload and expectations, they are certainly---Finally---aligned with our peer companies. We are only as valuable as our ability to provide value to this business entity. Value is defined by the organization for whom we are fortunate enough to work. The reality is, my friends, that the world changes, technology changes, customer expectations change and the result is that the claims industry must react with change as well. There is too much focus by some disgruntled folks in here on self pity and blame shifting. Just because an individual finds they are unable to keep up or perform at the expected level, does not mean that the expectations are out of line. Additionally, if as a member of this organization we all have the responsibility to speak up. If you have a problem with Manager, speak to their manager. IF you are not willing to do this, then deal with the perceived issue in silence and find other employment. This whining and griping in here is cowardly. If you care more about keeping a job you hate then doing the right thing, then you are in the wrong industry. YOu can jump from one company to another to your hearts content and you will see nothing different, nothing better and you may find out too late in your career to fix your reputation that the problem all along was you and you alone.

From Indy — 04/10/2008

all in all safeco isnt bad..some friendly, some not. i am busy as a handler and more and more is put on me at desk level. mgr in clms fired stirred up some excitement for a day or two, dont see managers let go often unless rift and replaced later to reduce spans of control.. dave boyle days are still in personal lines, commercial lines steady for now...certain plm in office of claims promotes drinkin buddies versus talent very obvious he does not separate himself from his managers and is not technically strong just a numbers guy that really doesnt know coverage but what do you expect he is one of the cincinnati clan brought over by boyle, his drinkin buddy to...at least boyle kept it goin where is avp casualty never see him what is his name...lni group has low tenured mgrs, some very good and knowledgeable and has come casualty experience behind them. another lni mgr promoted from express doesnt know what she is doing is in overhead and absolutely no personality with team. believes treating others rudely will get her results might work with agroup of cs employees not gonna work in claims so she wont last long. avp of rapid response left and plm and his drinking buddies are running place in shambles, no credibility left in that group...lni plm new and hope to see him turn lni around ..casualty lost in the weeds in indy and losing examiners for lack of leadership in abi line of business. wake up eric/paula and send in the rafts or indys casualty is certain to sink....wc mgr makes life miserable and no one likes her she was deomoted to um think she would figure it out. older staff just sit back and laugh at the youngsters...

From Indinanapolis, IN — 04/02/2008

I have been working at Safeco for a few years in the Indianapolis claims office. I love my job. I agree with the last poster that I do not see where the complaints are coming from. It is very clear the people with the concerns have never worked with a different company in the industry. Trust me the grass is not greener on the other side. Lets face it Insurance is not for everybody. If you cannot work at a high level you probably will not like your job. As far as working for Safeco I have received nothing but the utmost respect from my peers and from the claims leadership staff. My hard work has also been fairly rewarded.

From indianapolis — 04/01/2008

I have been with Safeco a little over a year; I have worked at prior insurance companies and totally disagree with the people who say it's stressful and Safeco doesn't respect their employees. I have worked in insurance for 20 years and handling insurance claims is stressful period. Get used to it. You are dealing with people who have had a tragedy in their life and a presumption that all insurance companies are out to take their money. Safeco has been good to me and flexible; my managers are wonderful and I feel like I have a voice. I can't speak for other departments but in my department my unit manager and product line manager are second to none. Well done Safeco.

From home office — 03/19/2008

Wow - it is amazing to hear anything negative about Safeco. I have only been w/them for a short time but it is an amazing change of pace. It is almost comical to hear people talk about the workload when I know first hand what it's like at other companies. The fact that it is even possible to do an "okay" job in 40 hours is astounding. At my former company you could barely keep your head above water with less than 50-60 hours a week...and guess what, they've never even heard of OT.