Work at Ruby Tuesday — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Ruby Tuesday pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Ruby Tuesday

From Grand Rapids, MI — 04/13/2009

The place wasn't bad, but their upper management stinks. Robert and his boss are incompetents that couldn't run a nylon much less a group of restaurants. Robert is such an incompetent, they demoted him and put him in charge of this store! He's a brown-nosing little weasel who should be pumping gas instead of running a restaurant.

From Tacoma, Washington — 04/12/2009

We are a Franchise restaurant. I enjoy the respect of my fellow employees, managers and the owner. My co-workers are a great group and I find easy to work with. In this slow economy it seems every customer is on the edge. It is nice to see the managers, working side by side with us, to help out.

From Kingston, NY — 08/30/2008

I've been working for Ruby Tuesday for just over a year. I can easily say it is one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Though it's true you're not always going to see eye to eye with management, you're going to get that wherever you work. I started off as a hostess. After a few months I trained to be a server. Shortly after I became a trainer and now I'm a shift leader. I have never been disrespected by anyone I work with. It is really the kind of company where, if you do your job well, there is room to grow. Though I don't see myself staying with the company forever, it is a great job to have while in college and during that in-between phase. As far as pay goes, it's not always the best. Unfortunately, no matter how good you think you do, some people just don't have the money to leave a reasonable tip. The way the economy is lately, it's sometimes difficult to do. I understand that. With that being said, a guest can tell when you're being fake or genuine. Ultimately, as a server you determine what your tip is going to be. The better the service, the better the tip. Hostesses originally made minumum wage, however the hourly wage is going to drop down to considerably less than that. I don't think that it's necessarily fair, because the hostesses where I work are excellent. They really help you out. Although I don't have benefits with Ruby Tuesday, I hear they are fairly reasonable. It is rather inexpensive with decent coverage. I am confident that I will be with Ruby Tuesday until I am ready to leave them. I really do consider myself to be an asset to the restaurant I work for, and feel like others would agree. The Ruby Tuesday I work for is very flexible with scheduling. They do a great job at working with you, especially during school. The location of the restaurant isn't the greatest. We are on a stretch that includes an Applebees, 99's, Red Lobster, and newly added Texas Roadhouse. Not to mention we also have a McDonalds, Burger King, Panera Bread, Friendly's, soon to be White Castle and Sonic, as well as a mall up the road with a few places to eat. This is all within a mile stretch. Although business does suffer sometimes, we still do rather well considering the amount of competition. I sometimes get frustrated with co-workers because they don't take the job seriously sometimes. Most of the staff is between 18 and 25 and are just there to make a quick buck and friends. I, on the other hand, take my job seriously (probably too seriously at times). It's easy for me to walk out of a day shift with almost $100. Not bad for 4 hours. It is unfortunate that so many people have had such negative experiences while employed at Ruby Tuesday, but give it a try.. you might surprisingly like it!

From Anniston, AL — 06/18/2008

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday for over 2 years. THe managers are very respectful and professional most of my co-workers are fun to work with the exception of a few which are at all jobs. I really enjoy my job and I think the people who dislike working at Ruby Tuesday are probably not very good in the service industry. Being an outgoing person is a requirement in any restaurant.

From Columbia,SC — 05/08/2008

all these people who are hating on ruby tuesday never worked a sales job before. I have worked many sales jobs and the pay is the best in this kind of service. If you aren't making money you aren't a good waiter/waitress. I worked there for a year and the first six months i worked 30 hours a week and pulled in around $500/week. The last couple months I worked there, I worked around 25 hours and still pulled in about $400 a week. I never felt like I was working and just felt people wanted to give me money. Here you are simply a waiter, get the person what they want, timely, and keep drinks filled and youre good to go. My other friend bartended there and he was making $200 a night. Get regulars and you never have to worry about anything. If you can multi-task get a job here. There are also a ton of people so if ya need a shift covered or need one there are always people willing. Also, the tip out is huge, but it turns out to be a couple bucks more, so you dont have to clean each table, roll silver wear, or make sure there is ice and drinks. Not to mention you get out about 1.5 hours sooner. Ill pay an extra $5-$10 for that. It is a great place and I loved it. Great time.

From Worldwide — 12/24/2007

For a company trying to separate itself from the bar and grill segment, they sure have a lot to learn. Managers at cheesecake factory make at least 50% more than I do, and don't work as hard. Applebee's managers work as hard as me, but get paid for it. They are focused on results and the bottom line, and even when you make the numbers they want, you'll get little more than a pat on the back for it. They did, however, just start to pick up the tab on manager's health insurance. The benefits aren't great, but they are free. I am up for a promotion, and have been for a few months, but have seen two others get promoted ahead of me, one of whom failed his drug screen. In my personal experience, my supervisors have done well getting me time off when I needed it most, like the birth of my children. The restaurants are a dime a dozen in my neck of the woods, with 4 within 10 miles of my house, and i've managed at 3 of those 4. Unfortunately, most of the team members, and even some of the other managers I have worked with have been complete morons. No one in the company has any sort of business degree, and we all just learn on the fly. I used to enjoy, even look forward to going to work, but since I have been relocated, again, the fire is starting to fade. As I wait and wait for that promotion, I tend to worry how much longer I will be around.

From Miller Place, New Yo — 08/16/2007

Ruby Tuesday is built from the top down to benefit those at the top of the corporation by walking all over everyone below them. It is not an employee friendly job. You may make money but the pay is inconsistent and your bosses are not concerned with whether or not you are making any money. If the scenario arises (which it does) where they have to decide between helping you maximize your profit or helping the company maximize its profit... they will always go with maximizing the companies profit at your expense.