Working at Robert Half International — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Robert Half International pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Robert Half International

From Hartford — 04/20/2010

I love my job and have never been more rewarded either financially or professionally.

From Jacksonville, FL — 06/15/2009

Working for RHI for roughly 4.5 years...I have seen many changes. Managers come and go- relationships come and go-employees come and go...if you want to work for a good company that gives you all the tools you need to be a winner, and pays great the longer you are employed---Then RHI is a great place to work. You get out of RHI what you put in. There is no job secruity with any company these days, even the President of the United States may only have 4 years to get the job done. Now, it's not all grits and gravy either- if you do not follow their model- then you will not last. You have to love talking on the phone. RHI is a debt free company and one of the leaders in the staffing industry- they want the best out of you at all times. I had a great run, and everything I learned has me ready for anything. You will see people come and go, the key is to keep your head down...have as much fun as you can...try to stay away from the gossip. (Which is tough when you have a room full of type-A personalities.) Staffing has a bad rap with everywhere- it's the people business. People always want more money with less work. You can never win in staffing. However, everyone needs staffing...and the clients that get mad at all of the phone calls--well, wouldn't you want to interview with a company that is going to pound the phones.
I want to make this clear, it is not for everybody- it will weigh on you after a while if you are not wired to see people come and go. Typically the people that go will say bad things at first and even the people working at RHI will say things about the person that left. That's just human nature. One of the neatest things- if you want a shot at management...eventually, the managers move up or move out. All you have to do is wait it out and you will get the shot. I left RHI for a model more suited for my needs...but, I wouldn't have been able to do what I am doing today if I didn't learn from RHI.

From Oakland, CA — 02/02/2009

I applied to Robert Half Technologies (RHI) in Oakland in 2005 after getting laid off from my last job. As a .NET software developer, my skills were well sought after, and I made a point to RHT that I wanted to work for more ethical groups such as educational institutions, healthcare companies or environmental agencies, rather than depressing firms like insurance and finance agencies. RHI made me take a .NET programming quiz and two interviews, which I passed, then set up an interview with an educational group. I got the job within a week.

The job was a 6 month contract-to-hire, so I worked my butt off for those first 6 months and got hired by the company even though one of my projects was 2 weeks late. It was an awesome job. I don't usually do headhunters, but these guys have all the contacts, and I will let them take a 5% cut of my pay to get a similar good job with the contacts they have. You just have to be very fussy with them and ask for exactly what you want, which desperate people don't do.

I did spend over 50 hours per week working for the company that hired me, but it was worth it. The director let me write my name on one of his software patents, and I was invited to business celebrations around the USA all expenses paid for. I had my own large cubicle near the fridge, and a very smart group of people my own age to work with, which made things very comfortable.

Two years later the outsourcing monster reared it's ugly head and my co-workers and I were laid off to make way for Generation Y India. But hey, that was a great job all the same. Downtown Oakland, near the BART, meant I saved heaps of money on transport and had a great social life outside of work.

To this day I get RHT emails almost every week asking if I want to work on jobs for them. I will be contacting RHT/RHI again once I finish my MBA and hopefully this recession we're in goes away?!

From Princeton, NJ — 01/15/2009

Can you handle a stressful environment? Can you handle being told every week that this week may be your last week? Then it may not be so bad.

To start, the pay is pretty decent for base salary... better than other companies.

Respect is ok, I wasn't really disrespected, except when someone would say a racial slur, but it was that kind of environment... no HR, no problem!

The benefits are good, standard medical, dental, vision, 401k, 20 vacation days (including personal, sick). But you can't really take time off when you might be missing out on an opportunity. I remember calling in the office just to see if we had a new job opportunity.

Job security is crap, this is probably the worst company to work for if you want job security. They will literally threaten you almost every week that if you don't hire enough people, they will let you go, and they're serious! But it's sales, and you need to be aware of this before going in. If you can be cutthroat like them, then you can make it.

Work-LIfe balance is probably the best in any company I worked at. They expect 10 hour days from you... usually 8-6, but it goes by quick. No weekend work or anything. Although, in the beginning months or working, I found myself staying till about 8-9 o'clock just to survive in the company.

Growth potential is great, I've seen a few people promoted in the time that I was there. Then again, I also saw 8 people let go in a matter of 3 months. But employees are usually promoted when they work hard, and upper management will recognize hard work.

Coworkers competence... lets see here. Direct manager was good, the sales people were horrible. They did not have the background of the type of jobs they were recruiting for, and would sound like a broken record player when talking to different clients. I used to give amazing job leads that they would not call. Truely horrible sales reps that were hard to work with on a professional level.

Work environment was great on our team. We were always cheery and joking around back n forth. It was like family. Can't say that about other teams or departments, but for us, we all got along for the most part.

Hope the info was helpful. Moral of the story... if you're not cutthroat and you can't take stress, this is NOT the company for you. If you have what it takes, have done sales before, know what you're getting into, AND want to make a good amount of money (top seller), then this may work out for you. Just be prepared to be let go at ANY moment, as they did with me. I lasted only a few months. I did what they asked, made placements, got great job leads... yet that wasn't good enough. Maybe they used me, maybe they didn't, but I took it as an experience and now I know commission based recruiting is NOT for me.

Good luck!

From Seattle, WA — 09/29/2006

If you are looking for a way to test-drive your career with local employers, look no further. I've been a temporary employee since 1986, and from experience, this is the company that will provide you with pre-selected employment opportunities. Not only do they provide placement opportunities, but they have numerous divisions that note your skills and trade you freely. Their website says it all!