Working at Rite Aid Pharmacy — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Rite Aid Pharmacy pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Rite Aid Pharmacy

From Grand Ledge MI — 09/27/2010

I have been with Rite Aid since Jan 2007. I started as a cashier and I am now a shift supervisor. I am tired of reading and hearing so many complaints about the company. Retail is not for everyone, neither is sales.
I love what I do, I get a feeling of great satisfaction when I help customers, when I accomplish goals that I set for myself, when I go above and beyond what my boss asks of me. I know that I can not make everyone happy, however I do my best.
My latest goal is to try to drive up sales. I enjoy picking out some of our great deals and offering them to customers, I also print and cut out coupons from the sunday paper and offer the coupons to sweeten the deals and to add a smile to my customers faces. I don't have to save the customers a ton of money for them to appreciate the gesture.
I would love to be an assistant manager but our economy in Michigan is terrible and there are no assistant manager positions available.

From Rhode Island — 09/01/2010

First, I liked the other comments from people. I'm an original Brooks employee now with rite aid. I've been with the company for quite a few years now, so I think my view is pretty solid. As with most retail jobs the lower level positions do not pay the best. Not until the actual manager roles do you see a pay jump. As for cashiers the work is pretty simple. Ring the register, put shit on shelves, etc. The managers are the ones that deal with bitchy customers and other issues. Having done all of these jobs at some point it is easy to see why some people have mixed views about this company. I do agree that the owners of the company don't make te best decisions and they definately don't know how a store needs to be run. On the other hand, the people running the stores, for the most part with a few exceptions here and there, do know and understand what they are supposed to be doing. The people who are complaining about this being a bad company are the people that only look at the bad parts of the company and judge it by that. Most of the employees working in the stores are easy to get along with, even if they hate their job.
Advancement is another thing I read complaints about. The reason those people bitched about lake of advancement are the ones who didn't put forth the effort to get noticed for their workplace accomishments. I've worked harder than 99% of the employees I knew in the past and my promotions are the results of that hard work. As a part of management now, it is easy to see which of my workers are going to succeed further down the line. If your not getting noticed by your managers, or dm's, it's probably because your not doing anything to get their attention.
This company is not that bad of a place to work for. It's only bad because that's the way your making it.

From PA — 07/29/2010

I worked at Rite Aid for about 2 years. It was my real first job because my other jobs didn't last that long. I was a cashier getting paid minimum wage and from the two years I worked there I got a .35 raise. When I first started I really liked working there, but then they cut out security guards to save money which made me feel really unsafe because the neighborhood wasn't that great. Then I was taught all these different things I had to do. My job title was a cashier but I was responsible for many things that I surely didn't get paid extra for. My co-workers were really rude at first but I eventually became friendly with them. People stole from the store constantly and there was nothing I could do because I was basically by myself while the manager was in the office. The store was either busy or completely dead so I was either really stressed from working hard or standing for hours trying to find something to do. The store eventually went out of buisness and I was asked to work at a store in a horrible neighborhood with bad hours because I was in school. I took a lay off.

From maine — 11/22/2009

i have worked for rite aid for 5 years and for the most part I enjoy my job. the pay is absoluely terrible you are never given a raise over 2%! working in the pharmacy you should get paid a lot more you have a lot of responsibility and deal with a lot of bs from customers for very little pay! but other than that they have very flexible hours and are good about giving time off when needed.

From MI — 10/03/2009

I've been with Rite Aid for 9 years. Started out as a cashier and moved my way up to Store Manager. I've read many reviews and they stated there was no room for advancement. It took me 2-3 years to become an assistant manager and that was only due to my school schedule otherwise it would have been sooner.

I can honestly say that a few years ago I hated my job but our new company culture has changed our job for the better. There is now more an emphasis on working your 45 hours and getting back home to your families and lives. I can honestly say that my DM right now cares about us as people and puts an emphasis on having fun and making money in our stores. I have a great staff and we hardly have any turnover and we have become a family. That's what keeps me working. I have to agree, our customers are demanding but they keep us in business. They come back to my store because no matter what we treat them with respect and kindness and they don't get that at CVS or Walgreens. I have days that I want to pull my hair out but I am glad I have a job and get to work with great people.

From los angeles — 11/12/2008

i love workin in my riteaid. i just finished school. its very fun. the staff iw ork for is good. i have a good realtionship with my boss the manager.. we are going out. i have an awesome schedule. what more can i ask for??

From Camp HIll, Pa — 08/05/2008

I have been working for Rite Aid for oevr 13 years now. If you even watch the news, it has been a real roller coaster ride. I have seen the extreme higs, and the extreme lows. But as with any company, if you ride the wave, and keep yourself strong, you will come out on top. I work in the IT department. The pay is decent, but the best part is that I feel I get the utmost respect from my immediate supervisor and manager. Even the director and VP are extremely approtchable. Although, for a health care company, the benefits are less than desireable - the job security in my department are awesome. No matter what we have gone through, my department has always stood firm and never laid off. In fact, in 1998 I got laid off and hired 2 days later in my current position. That was scary at first, but it has been a real blessing. The work'life balance is great too. You have to learn how to handle an on/call flex schedule - but I have never had more time with my family (once I learned how to work it) than I do now. I love a flexable schedule and could never go back to an 8-5 schedule. For career potential, growth - 13 years say the potential - but growth - at one time there was no growth - so my leaders got together and made levels - now there is tremendous growth potential. My co-workers are great as well - not just in my department, but in the departments that I work with as well. I work close to corporate, so I have to work closely with several departments. For instance, development, and the halp desk. It was never more apparent how good these people were than when we converted 1800 Eckert/Brooks stores in 1 year. Everyone worked so well as a team. After all was done, I was exhausted, but I can look back and know how well, devel, the help desk, and all involved - did. It was amazing. If I would have done this after getting laid off - I may have put some negative comments in, but looking back over 13 years, this really has been a great company to work for, and I am proud to be a member of the Rite Aid Team!

From Arroyo Grande, CA — 04/24/2008

Working for Rite Aid has been quite the experience. I have worked for the company for quite a while, while going to school and don't have too many complaints. The pay as a Pharm. Tech is pretty good for someone who is going to school and wants to work part-time, or for someone who doesn't want to go to school and doesn't have any ambition to do anything else. My store manager knows me pretty well since we have worked together for about 6 years and my pharmacy manager is a good friend of mine; we occasionally hang out and go out to dinner when we get a chance. I have befreinded many pharmacists and have great relationships with all of the ones I have worked with. My benefits are great since I have worked there for so long. Job security is great, as long as you do your job and don't get yourself into trouble, you shouldn't have a problem keeping your job. The Work/Life balance is great, they have been working around my school schedule since I was in high school and I am now about to graduate with my BA. Career Potential/Growth is alright. I started as an ice cream clerk and am now a pharmacy technician. This has enabled me to work less and still get paid pretty good for being a student. The location to my home is great, just 3 minutes by car each way. My co-workers in the pharmacy are great, they would be better though if they all had higher educations, but you don't expect people working in a store like that to be educated, you just go with it all. The people being hired in the front-end are not very competent all of the time, but many of them are nice, and many of them like to gossip. The work envirement could be better, possibly if I worked in a newer store(this store is about 60 years old) and if the location was better. A lot of our customers are either drug addicts, alcoholics or have mental problems. Other than that I will be satisfied with this "job" until I graduate from college.

From Pittsburgh, PA — 10/08/2007

I have to say I really liked working for this company as a college student. The particular store I worked at had great managers and even better coworkers. Going to work every day was fun, not dreadful. However, I would never work for this company permanently. The pay is awful and non-negotiable, the upper management was incompetent, and supervisors usually ended up doing most of the work for little/no credit. This particular store was excellent about scheduling around my schedule. The location was in a nicer neighborhood, so the customers were easier to deal with. Not having any return policy whatsoever makes it very easy for people to commit fraud and for employees to steal.