Working at RGIS — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about RGIS pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at RGIS

From Woodbridge, VA — 09/08/2010

I had never heard of this company until a friend of mine told me about it. As a military spouse, this job is absolutely PERFECT for me! I was told that this company will work with you on schedule being that they are flexible and it has been right on the money with that one! I HAVE to have a flexible schedule due to the fact that I have a military husband out of town a lot and we have children. I have seen so many negative comments made about this company from various people and I just have to say that either these people are seriously disgruntled or maybe had high expectations of the job. It doesn't take much to do this job. It's an easy job. I've managed to go from being an auditor to a specialist in a short amount of time as well and NO it's not because I'm an "ass kisser"...I actually SHOW UP and DO MY JOB!!! Maybe some of these people that actually work for this company that have nothing better to do than to complain about it should just either do the job they are asked to do or go work somewhere else. I have had no issues with co-workers, with supervisors...nothing! Because I have something called WORK ETHIC! Imagine that! Maybe if more people had that, there would be more jobs out there. Too many people want everything for nothing and it doesnt' work that way. I'd much rather work this job than to have to deal with some of the moronic public that's out there on a day to day basis going to places like Walmart or the bank....at least I don't get bothered by anyone and we all just do our jobs. It's not a career for some people and that's fine...but for someone who is looking to supplement their income for some fun money? It's absolutely a wonderful job! :-) And you get to travel and see different places...I'm sorry but you can't beat it! And as far as them not giving any breaks, I personally could care less about that...I'd rather go in count the inventory for however long it takes and go home...either way I'm gettin paid...so who am I to complain? I've been extremely pleased with this company since I started with them. And I happen to think the pay is very fair. I will agree that if you are here to work because you HAVE to work, then it's probably not the best paying job. But if you don't really HAVE to work, then this is a wonderful job! :-)

From CHICAGO — 06/02/2010

I HAVE WORKED 4 RGIS 4 2 ALMOST 3 YEARS AND IT SEEMS LIKE THE ONLY PPL THATS COMMITING R THE PPL THAT WORK 4 LOCAL DIST I WORK 4 THE WAL-MART TEAM AND I KNOW THE DAYS I WORK IN A MONTH ADVANCE SO I MEAN MAYBE U GUYS NEED TO GO 4 THE WALMART TEAM NOT SAYING ITS PEACHES AND CREAM OVER HERE BUT ITS BETTER THAN WHAT A LOT OF U HAVE WENT THROUGH

From Toronto — 03/22/2010

What on earth do some people expect?

I am writing this the day after 'ObamaCare' won its House vote, so maybe things will change in the 'benefits' department. And, in fairness, I am a resident of Canada, enjoying my government-paid medical insurance. But I find it ridiculous that one of the consistent complaints about RGIS is its lack of benefits. We're talking about a job a monkey could do. The management of any district has the task of scheduling enough monkeys to get an inventory finished in an allotted time. Each district has its core team of people, those workers who are available and reliable and who have developed some efficiency and alacrity with the scanners, and who don't constantly bitch and whine that they're treated like dogs or that they don't get health insurance or dental coverage or whatever other free service these 20-something slackers expect their bosses to provide.

If you had a real job, say a 9-to-5 gig at a bank or a business office or a government bureau, or a warehouse or grocery store shift, you could expect a modicum of a benefits package to accompany your hourly wage. But at RGIS we are all part-time workers. We are all transitional workers too, some of us finding something to do after getting laid off, some of us recent transplants with no other local work experience. In the Toronto district most of us are immigrants fresh off the boat with no other job offers. We should not expect a no-frills, low-rent company like RGIS to extend us a high, reliable salary, a company car and a retirement plan. Want to take a meal break every 5 hours? No ones stopping you; it's just that your time will be off-the-clock, and when you come back we will be finished with the count in one more hour. So we learn to work a 5.5 hour shift continuously without eating, or we learn to bring a snack bar and wolf it down during a 10-minute break on-the-clock. You're scanning T-shirts for 5 hours at minimum wage, you don't deserve a 3-martini lunch at the country club on expense account.

If you are a good worker and are reliable and accurate and fast, you will get scheduled more often. If you constantly whine and call the DM at home at night to ask for a ride or ask for more hours, and your APH is dismal, and you have a tendency to goof off and gab on the job and show up late or sometimes not at all, don't be surprised when your only work assignment next week is a 3-hour count 100 miles away that no one on the core team wants to do (they're busy with the bread-and-butter clients, the clients who want to see fast workers who don't gripe about how hard their store is to count, who ask 'how much longer is this gonna take?')

I'm no shill for this company. I came upon their job posting just like you did, I thought, "$hit, I can do that, and I'm totally unemployed, so anything will be better than nothing, even if the pay is crap and the hours are lousy." and I applied and got the job. Got the ugly shirt, bought the black pants, did a few counts and thought "so, my life has come to this, has it?" But as I got a bit more skilled and got to understand the basic economics I got working more and more. I get plenty of respect from my superiors.

After only 5 weeks I was supervising inventories, and not because I'm older (but my background helps), not because I'm white (but as an American immigrant I have no discernable language barrier), but mostly because my attitude. Yes, this is probably the worst job I've ever had in terms of its awful schedule, the driving, the physical toll it takes on my joints and feet, and of course the low pay. But until I get another job, this is all I have. And when I get another job, this will be the best second job I will have ever had.

If you go through life a snivelling, self-important, entitlement-expecting slacker who views his RGIS employment as a normal job, you will never be happy anywhere. Even in Canada, no one has a gun to your head making you work anywhere, no one stamps "Inventory Auditor" on your birth certificate.

Learn more about basic economics, supply-and-demand. Don't hide behind nanny-state labour laws that destroy efficiency. Read your Adam Smith. Read about the Lochner bakery decision. Listen to your grampa talk about work during the depression. Then, when you continue voluntarily to get up at 4 am, drive an hour and a half to a warehouse to count screws all day for 10 bucks an hour, don't come back in here and type about what a pain in the arse it is. Man up, shut up, or quit already.

From San Diego — 02/17/2010

After reading several bad comments about this company, I decided to speak up. If you're looking for a career, you're in the wrong place. This job is perfect for college students (such as myself) and I think the pay is great. I started off at $9 and have moved up to $10.50 (expert) within the first couple of months. Your starting rank is an auditor and honestly, unless you're a total idiot and can't count worth shit....it's sooooooo easy to get raises. Yes, driving to different locations SUCKS but what do you expect out of this job??? If you want to complain about the drive and gas, then find work elsewhere!!! I work with a lot of morons and perhaps that's the main reason why team leaders get so annoyed by auditors who think they can slack off with their APH. Obviously the goal is accuracy but you can't expect to stay on the shift when you're counting so slow that you're jeopardizing the stores average. And for those complaining about not getting a lunch or break within a 11 hour work shift.....that's ridiculous! My district is very strict and enforces breaks to the max. Job security is pretty good as long as you confirm your schedule and show up to your stores on time, you'll never get fired. Overall, this job works out pretty well for me and is very flexible with my school schedule.

From north carolina — 02/08/2010

well the pay is inadequate, they had the gaul to bring in this highly inadequate pay system that is suppose to reward you with weekly bonuses for great job performance.. When I saw the bonus I almost died laughing. Its the most ridiculous performance system I have ever seen. It really penalizes people who have been there many years. And they keep upping the standards so it gets harder and harder to meet the pay scale requirements. And what really kills me is when they tell people that accuracy is their primary concern. Every time I hear that I have to chuckle. I dont see how some of the so called managers have reached management level, but then I look at the calibre of people they hired, and that answers that question. If you worked every store they asked you to, your whole life would be spent in stores. And even with that, your paycheck would still be that of a pauper. There is almost no respect. Its like sometimes I'm in the midst of a bunch of mindless, no morals, hit and run crazy nitwits. I really feel bad for some of the new people they hire, because they have no idea what its all about.

From western N.C. — 12/28/2009

I've worked for RGIS for about a year and having worked as everything from a fast food pusher to a tech support job I can honestly saay the job is cheese! Dosent take a lot of smarts to do the job but if you got them then you can do well. I'm a TL and of course have had my bad experiances but anyone who has worked fast food can tell you the stress levels are a lot lower! During the slow imes hours suck, but during the busy times you can make money hand over fist if you can just show up on time and do what your suposed to do. I griped about the job when I first started cuz I didnt make many hours and the pay sucked but then I learned (in my district at least) You get the hours and $$ when you do the job! I've had better jobs and better paying jobs but their not as bad as some people make them out to be. most the people in my district that complain dont want to work the hours their given and want to complain cuz they dont get paid enough for travel when most of em sleep in the van to and from a job. I dont know many jobs that pay you to sleep do you? So get over yourself and find a differant job if your not happy!

From Phoenix, AZ — 10/31/2009

Ok, after reading a few of the reviews, i figured i'd throw my 2 in.

Can't say much good or bad for this company, i've only been back for a few months, and i'm satisfied. I first started 12 years again with Dist 218, and this is my 3rd (or is it 4th, can't keep track) time with the company, as well as working for one competitor, and one bottom feeder (this company wasn't competition for anyone). Training pretty much sucks, but then it did back then too, though my group makes a bit more effort than they did back then (2 hours back then + sink or swim, 4 hours office, 4 hours in store now).

Pay is alright, $8.50 to start, reviews at weeks 7 and 13, though the raises aren't much, 50 on mine. Back then pay started at the same, raises were all but non-existent, and not only was there a cap, but if you were at the cap, you were rarely given work, because you cost too much to use. All that, and in NJ, $8.50 didn't go very far, even back then. Surprisingly its nearly a living wage in AZ these days, which is saying something.

Not much has changed over time, management is hit or miss, depending on the office, they can be really good, or really bad (first time around, one Area Manager in another office has 3 sexual harrassment complaints in a year, but the Ops manager simply moved him to another office because they were buddies).

Hours vary by office, but generally busy during the busy season during the year (70+ back when i first started), and drop off sharply as the year progresses (Oct -Dec, .5/hr wk for team leaders, 0 for auditors back then). Your best bet is to get in with a dedicated team, and even that's hit or miss. The team i'm with this time is well run, management is fair, although the client is at times aggravating (some stores really don't seem to grasp, or don't care about their inventories). Equipment is alright, reminiscent of what Washington had 7 years ago, though with a touch screen, wireless network and laser added (we don't use the built in, finger lasers only here, much better, though i miss the old guns). Supervisor mode makes good use of the larger screen, otherwise the old Audit machines would work just as well.

ASET program is interesting, not sure how good it is, but it looks good right now. Do keep in mind that as a dedicated team, we do the same things in the same stores every time, we can practically count with our eyes closed, so this program works perfectly for us. A regular district where you count a wide variety of stuff? I doubt it'd work half as well. So long as they keep the numbers realistic, we'll do fine. I can say this much, it might curtail the warm bodies system that's been around since the old days (you can get any inventory completed on time, so long as you throw enough warm bodies at it).

I scored it a bit low because some of the questions don't really apply (we're a dedicated multi-state team, office location is rather unimportant), and others i don't have answers for, such as career growth, ask me in six months or so, and work environment (my last job was delivering newspapers, this is definitely better than that, at least during the summer).

Speaking of travel, they really need to choose a better hotel, Motel 6 sucks badly. Stay there only if you have to, or like roaches, broken showers, and the like.

Overall, i'm satisfied, i came in knowing what to expect, and they haven't dissapointed. Not really impressed, but from my perspective, it hasn't gotten any worse. I probably wouldn't recommend a local office, at least if you need steady full time hours, but a dedicated team isn't a bad job, long as you get a good team (i hear one group only works 6 mos of the year) with a good manager (mine's always trying to figure out the right formula to drive team performance up, and since bonuses and 'rank' are based on performance, that's a good thing).

From Cincinnati,OH — 01/10/2009

The pay at RGIS is good.About what you can expect for the job that is performed.You are always a body counting, if you do it quicker than others do, you get paid more, period. They let you know that up front. The respect issue has been a factor at only one count that I've been to. The situation, if it could be called that, was handled swiftly after I respectfully demanded it be shown to me . That person changed there tune rather quickly and was more than willing to make amends and offer assistance. The benefits do stink at RGIS. The job security is 100% as long as I can follow directions and use a telephone. It doesn't get much better than that. Company wide, I see nothing but growth with RGIS even during these tough economic times. I personally love the flexible scheduling , it allows me to have time with my family. It allows me to take a vacation any time I want it. Again, you can't beat it, it's almost like you're sub contracting. The potential for career growth with RGIS is unlimited, this is an international company that has home offices all around the world. As far as co-worker competence, I work with some of the most knowledgeable and fastest employees RGIS has. 20 years experience plus and they are more than glad to help. I enjoy the different work environments, it never gets boring.

From Wendell, Idaho — 09/29/2008

I started with RGIS in October of l994 in Washington state and I loved this job! Although, the hours could be tedious, we were a team and we got the job done. By we, I mean auditors, team leaders, area managers, and managers. Everybody worked together. And, there was respect no matter where you stood on the totem pole. We had a dress code and everyone adhered to it. We respected ourselves as professionals. From there, I worked in Oregon and thought I had moved to another world when it came to working for RGIS. Indiana wasn't much better. I guess, it's like eating at a chain restaurant. The food can be outstanding at one restaurant and then go to the same chain in another location and you think "what happened here." I had the option to have insurance, but was covered by my spouse's employer, so did not take that option. I returned to Oregon and drove 45 minutes to a job site to work 1 and 1/2 hours. After being told it was at least a 7 hour job. From Oregon it was Idaho. Store's were overstaffed with auditors, so none of us were making any money to speak of. I would drive 20 minutes to a work site or car pool site and work no more than 3 hours in a store. I was close enough to work more of the area stores, but I would arrive there and they had people from way out of the area running the stores, because we didn't have an area team. I was being considered to be over a team and seriously considered it. But, after several unethical instances, I decided I didn't want to be associated with that company name any longer. People that had worked for sometimes up to 15 hours or more in a day already, were the drivers for the car pools. Just wasn't a safe feeling for me.
As I said, when I worked for the company in Washington, I loved the job, the people I worked with, the stores I audited and their personnel. I can relate to the review from the Boise, Idaho commentator. Stores were being short changed in their inventories, just to get the job done and get out. What happened I do not know, but their reputation is a sad thing.

From Milwaukee, WI — 05/07/2008

Pay: The pay is fairly nice, I started at 9.00 an hour as an auditor, which is the highest starting wage I've managed to make.

Respect: If you can manage to do the job well with little help or outside motivation, you're noticed by your higher ups and appreciated.

Benefits: I am unaware of any outside benefits, ie health insurance.

Job Security: If you go to work on time, and do the job that is assigned, there is practically no way you could possibly lose your job.

Work/Life Balance: The hours are kind of odd, but I'm young and used to constantly changing pase.

Career Potential/Growth: It's been a month and a half, and I've already been promoted two steps to Inventory Supervisor and am already running my own stores. There's the possibility of a management shake-up, and I plan on strolling in on the tail-end of the storm.

Location: The location and commuting aren't really that bad.

Co-worker Competance: I do notice that I train a lot of coworkers on-site. It's kind of annoying but I get over it.

Work Environment: It could be better. Closed stores can be tedious and boring from time to time, but again, I get over it.

Overall I really enjoy this job and am looking forward to a future with the company.