Employee Review of Victoria's Secret - Check out more reviews of working at Victoria's Secret

From Central New Jersey — 04/06/2010

Pay: I get paid a little over $8.00 an hour which to me deserves a 1 because it's higher than the average $8.10 but it's also very low for me as I am taking a major pay cut due to the economy (my past jobs were $10+ per hour).

Respect: I find my coworkers to be very respectful. But they can be a bit catty and gossip during downtime but when you work with a bunch of women, this is to be expected. They can be condescending to someone who is new.

Benefits: The benefits at my particular location are great. My managers are always aware and very open about the next upcoming freebie. They are consistent about it and are concerned if everyone has received their fair share. The 30% discount is really good too considering that you can use the 30% discount at other stores under the Limited Brands company (such as Bath and Body Works and The Limited, etc).

Job Security: I haven't worked here very long but I have never felt that my job was in jeopardy. I also know coworkers that have been at the location since its opened.

Work/Life Balance: My location is good when it comes to scheduling. They pay attention to my school schedule for example and are willing to bend when able.

*The one thing I do not like about the job is the on call hours; its hard to plan anything and with the summer coming up, this may become a problem. Another thing is that the hours fluctuate a lot. One week you may get 25+ hours and then the next week you may get just 8 hours. If you're not a college student and you're looking to make money for a living, this is also a problem.

Career Potential/Growth: I am not sure how quickly one can move up. One of my managers was promoted after only a couple months and another was promoted after a couple years so I assume its based off of the individual.

Location: My location is convenient for me. Its right next to my university and my home.

Co-worker competence: My co-workers are very competent. They are knowledgeable about products and sales.

Work Environment: The job is good. The sales don't change much and its very easy to learn the products and happenings.

*The only thing that I can say bad about it is that its BORING. It is mind-numbing to stand in the store for hours on end without any customers and nothing to do but restock a few bits of merchandise and fix merchandise over and over and over.... and over again. It becomes more of a job appearing to BE busy instead of actually being busy. And did I mention the standing? Standing doesn't seem hard but try doing it for six hours with only a fifteen minute break in between.

Overall, its a good job but its more for someone with little experience or for a person who is just looking to pick up a few extra dollars here and there. Its not challenging and can become quite monotonous.

If you've got a lot of experience and need to make real money, apply elsewhere.